UDUstats.com keeps track of upgrade success

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Nov 21, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    A fellow MP'er had introduced me to UDUstats.com (Thanks Pat!). I posted more about it on my blog so please click here if interested about the database that keeps track of UA upgrade success

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of minimal value given the dependence on self-reporting. Been around a while, but still not so useful IMO.

3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I know its the self reporting piece that is the weak part, but if we can get any lift it could only help. It came in handy when I was looking for routes to HKG, and some domestic stuff.

catgirl and hulagrrl210 like this.
  4. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    The other gap (now, at least) is that it's only legacy UA. Would be interesting to have a combined UCH CPUstats site. Although I do agree with WA that it is of limited utility given the nature of self-reporting, I have seen some directional accuracy in terms of which routes tend to be easier or harder upgrades.

5. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Might not be that useful now for purposes of determining upgrade availability, but I will contribute to the site so that they have more numbers.

6. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    the directional accuracy was the big benefit to me. I like your idea of having the Continental stuff come into play. I suspect it could do it easily since the database doesn't hold existing data like flight numbers or timetables. I think it just sorts the inputs from those adding data.

7. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    thanks for being an optimist! the more people that use it, the better the data.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I do not see this actually coming to fruition. Even the "directional guidance" or whatever isn't necessarily so. As customers we simply do not have enough information at our disposal to get to the level of detail that makes this sort of tracking useful.

Just like when people say that buying one or two fare buckets higher increased their odds of upgrades clearing, we simply don't have insight into the full data set to know if that is true or just feeling good about a decision based on an incredibly opaque data set.

9. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I've used this site since before the beginning and continue to find it useful. Even though I think the reporting numbers are down it still gives a good representation of "possibilities" for various elite levels and upgrade chances for my SFO to ORD and SFO to IAD legs the most. I'll pick flights according to day of week, time of day and historical odds and have my success rate go up.

If only easy update worked, we could just figure out a way to forward the detes without having to upload the data.

Lufthansa Flyer and hulagrrl210 like this.
  10. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's still better than having no data! I think it's a good tool and a nice idea. Limited at the moment, yes, but there is potential. Why the hate?

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    It isn't hate. It is just my objective and realistic view on the topic. Plus, I do not believe this bit:
    Bad or potentially misleading data is much worse than no data.

avflyer likes this.
  12. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How is it bad data? Do you think people are making it up?

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  13. Phudnik
    Original Member

Phudnik Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's self-reported data and thus unrepresentative, not projectable, and likely biased. (I should clarify that I don't mean "biased" as in people having an axe to grind, but rather slanted towards the experiences of a self-selected group of fliers.)

It's akin to a "poll" you might see on CNN's website -- it only measures the experience of those who are motivated enough to add their experiences.

avflyer likes this.
  14. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree with Phudnik et al. A professional statistician would blow this methodology right out of the water. Definitely skewed.

15. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just as an example, I only report when I am happy to get the upgrade, or am pissed that I missed it. The weekly upgrades or non-upgrades LAX/SFO/SMF/DEN that I do don't get reported. I'm sure other people report only what they want to report as well.

16. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And I usually forget to add data, and when mention of the site pops up and I just happened to have a flight that I actually remember and have a bit of time, I enter it. Then again, I also don't look for data there. My flight selections are usually driven by time/schedule, price and aircraft type, not by hypothetical upgrade chances (though aircraft type and time certainly have a significant influence on my upgrade chances independent of what udustats says).

Now... if someone could convince UA/CO to actually publish that data based on their actual statistics when booking a flight (next to the on-time stats), that would be nice.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  17. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, but you know about these limitations. There is nothing "bad" about the raw data assuming people aren't lying or making it up, it is just incomplete. Seeing as how UA/CO doesn't publish the actual numbers, I'd rather have access to this than nothing at all.

18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And that's what is bad about it. Incomplete and arguably misrepresentative data is worse than no data at all.

19. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I disagree, but you know what, if you don't like the site, don't use it. Simple.

Infinite1K and Lufthansa Flyer like this.
  20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Gee...thanks for that incredible insight. Sorry that my pointing out the limitations of it is so upsetting.

2wheels likes this.
  21. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure he hasn't usen it given his reason not to trust the data, even before your thoughtful suggestion. :rolleyes:

22. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    No problem ;)

Infinite1K and Lufthansa Flyer like this.