Udaipur Taj Lake Palace

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by TRAVELSIG, Aug 23, 2012.  |  Print Topic

Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

I recently completed a stay at the Udaipur Taj Lake Palace which I have to give top marks to as one of the best hotels I have stayed at worldwide.

The property is accessible only by boat which has a small mooring point in the palace complex of Udaipur. The hotel has a long history and actually gives guests a tour daily which explains the history, the hotel originally being created as a palace, and interesting information including the filming of the James Bond film Octopussy in parts of the hotel courtyard.

The suite we were given (upgrade thanks to DavidO of Virtuoso network) was beautiful and overlooked the lake. It had obviously been recently modernized however in a very nice way. My only complaint was that wireless was a bit slow/patchy however I don't think many people come to this hotel to work.

One of the highlights of our visit was the restaurant (there are three restaurants plus a bar) which specializes in Indian cusine. Not only was it some of the best Indian food we have eaten, the chef took the time to give a tour of the kitchen in detail and provided not only a book of his favorite recipes but also his email address with the invitation to "email me if you are having any difficulty making these dishes and I will help you".

The bar also made a great martini and has a lovely outdoor terrace overlooking the lake and the nearby Oberoi hotel.

The entire staff here make go out of there way to make you feel welcome- and within 15 minutes of arriving every single staff member greeted us by name and this continued throughout the stay. The management and staff here are of the very top calibre I have met anywhere and attention to detail is meticulous.

I quite liked the small swimming pool as well- it is cute in a nice way.

This hotel gets top marks in all ways.
    uggboy and KathInJax like this.