UC access with no boarding pass

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HaveMilesWillTravel, Nov 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    What's the current official policy for access to United Club (paid member) without ticket/reservation?

My understanding was that the ticket counter should issue gate pass.

adrianors and Newscience like this.
  2. zippypinhead

zippypinhead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, I've probably done it a dozen times in the past five years or so.
    The one time an agent at the ticket counter gave me a hard time I just asked to buy a refundable one way ticket. She wanted to know where I wanted to go..... I told her it didn't matter I was going to refund it in the club anyhow. :rolleyes:
    That's when she got a supervisor to come over and show how to make up a gate pass.

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    SFO agents denied me gate pass tonight claiming I needed to have conference room reservation. Unfortunately UC call center was closed (6:30pm PDT). Was tempted to book myself to Sydney tonight and then refund, but it would have been out of spite since I didn't actually had enough time to really benefit from it.

Newscience and traveltoomuch like this.
  4. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ticket counter can issue gate pass without without UC membership.
    Really.

You. Just. need. to .ask

Newscience likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe. I doubt the three folks at the elite checkin at SFO (one allegedly a supervisor) would have given me a pass independent of UC membership when they wouldn't give me one WITH the UC card.

Newscience likes this.
  6. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its been done for me before.
    The context : Check in closed, but I could make the flight, if only I had a gate pass.
    No luggage. Carry on only.

INTL flight and I got one of those This is not a boarding pass from Jeff

So meThinks they can do it.

trobb49 and Newscience like this.
  7. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    Next time, ask her to look up GG CHECKPOINT line 63 or somewhere in that vicinity.

8. davef139

davef139 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup thats exactly it worked at LAX before SMD4, agent was a little surprised we could quote the exact context for it.

Newscience likes this.
  9. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had to use this line a couple of times at ORD over the last year or so, but now it seems most agents know the policy.

Newscience likes this.
  10. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    SFO has given me that spiel before. I got lucky one time, and a MilePointer was actually working the ticketing desk, overheard my exchange, and told the agent helping me that a conference room reservation was not necessary. I now also have an email from UC CS stating that a conference room reservation is not required in case it happens again.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'll be contacting UC CS and ask for written clarification. I will also suggest that they add this information to the publicly accessible UC Club T&C, and that they re-train the SFO agents. It shouldn't be necessary for paying customers to cite internal UA policy systems or carry a letter from UC CS to do on-the-fly education. While I don't expect to actually need this "flightless" UC access many times before my membership expires next year, I will test this again in a couple of weeks when I am dropping off someone at SFO.

adrianors and Newscience like this.
  12. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the benefit is probably unpublished for a reason: to limit the extra load on the agents and attendance at the clubs. If I were a being man, I'd say UA takes this benefit away rather than adding it to the official T&C.

13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Could be. But there isn't really much of a reason to even want to go to the Club these days. Are they concerned I'd drink them out of McCormick's? ;) (while running up a huge short term parking bill)

So you think I shouldn't suggest having it added to the T&Cs?

adrianors and legalalien like this.
  14. legalalien
    Original Member

legalalien Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think asking UA to disseminate the official policy to their agents would probably accomplish your goals. ;)

15. skyhook
    Original Member

skyhook Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last time at SFO, first agent I asked had no idea what I was talking about. A more experienced agent nearby overheard my request and showed the first agent how to set up a gate pass.

Probably doesn't get frequent enough use for all agents to be fully trained on it -- and I agree with legalalien that pushing this hard might just result in the gate pass policy going away.

Newscience likes this.
  16. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know why they're confused...it's a published benefit that I know I've used plenty over the years; even been able to bring guests with me.

Newscience likes this.
  17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I assure you this was not a case of the agents not knowing how to issue a gate pass. I am 110% certain of that. They issued one to my wife to pick up an unaccompanied minor a minute before I asked.

18. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Got a gate pass for UC member and 2 guests last time I was in SFO (3 weeks ago) without delay. So some agents there certainly know how to do it. It's an sCO policy though, so it's often the sUA agents that aren't aware of it. Note that I always go to the BusinessFirst/Premier desks, since those tend to be more experienced agents.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Reply from United Club Customer Service:

I did not cite any GG CHECKPOINT lines in my question, just described briefly what happened at the airport and asked for clarification what the rules are.

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

Even the people they have working in the department don't know their own rules.

mtbroxs and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  21. ParanoiaTX
    Original Member

ParanoiaTX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless this officially changed in the last few weeks that answer is incorrect.

22. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That was my thought as well. It's not a battle worth fighting for me, though. My UC membership will end in six months when I am canceling my UC Visa and I don't expect any need to get a gate pass. After all, the UC amenities aren't exactly worth paying parking fees for. If I do end up needing one, I will go the book/cancel ticket route.

23. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    There seems to be some latitude to issuing gate passes. Most don't want to.

A recent gate pass experience i had. I booked an award trip on my phone ~50 minutes prior to departure. I was at EWR terminal A. My flight was leaving out of C. The agent told me that there is a 20 minute gap between the time you buy the ticket and the time you are actually ticketed. He said i should wait. I told him that if I wait, i'm going to miss the check-in cutoff and my flight. I asked if he could issue a gate pass for me and i could use this 20 minutes to get airside in the right terminal and then go to the gate to check in. He agreed, and printed out the gate pass.

Unfortunately, no precheck with the gatepass.. but still got there with time to spare.

Rest of the story - mechanical, potential misconect and then another rebooking.

24. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are you surprised? This one has always been tough and has been doubly tough post-merger since it was a pmCO policy and not something pmUA did.

They haven't managed to get everyone educated correctly on the big stuff. It's not even a little surprising that this bit of arcana is still very hit and miss.