UberAirr - Fly in comfort

Discussion in 'Community Center' started by UberAirr, Jun 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

?

Are you interested?

1. Yes

42.9%
  2. No

57.1%
  1. UberAirr

UberAirr New Member

Status Points:
    Hi Everyone -

We are in the process of developing UberAirr:

Concept: UberAirr lets you buy and sell your airplane seat (e.g., middle seat, window seat, first/business class upgrade, seat near screaming kids!)

How will this work? You go through security as you normally would. When you get to the gate, you can pull up the UberAirr app, look at available seats that people are willing to trade for a price (e.g., $20 for Window seat and in exchange they get your seat). After you board, you just go to the new seat that you purchase, while the person you purchased from goes to your seat.

It would be awesome if you can provide any type of feedback. Please also do sign up on seat.uberairr.com - you'll be the first to know when we launch. Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks,
    UberAirr Team :)

gleff likes this.
  2. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    Excellent idea! I definitely would pay for an Exit row seat.

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is an interesting concept but I do question the legalities of the concept as they're illegally selling off seats that don't actually belong to people but the airlines. This is no different from people scalping tickets to a sporting event.

blackjack-21 and Newscience like this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would think that the only people who cared about this would be buyers who want a better seat, and usually they can already just buy the better seat from the airline (unless someone else grabbed it first by paying or having status).

Just wondering, what airlines are you unable to pay extra to select the Exit row - i.e. United Economy Plus, AA Main Cabin Extra, SW EarlyBird Check-In etc...

5. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    How will you be able to explain your printed boarding pass from the airline yet someone else sitting in your assigned seat who holds a boarding pass for a different seat? Do you then say "Oh, I just sold my seat to him or her", and think that the airline will allow that? How often have we noticed whenever a cabin crew can't get a total pax count to match their indicated loads on the manifests, that they then start looking at people's boarding passes.

6. Miles
    Original Member

Miles Silver Member

Status Points:
    I should have clarified that I would be willing to pay for an exit row seat, if the price were low enough. In my particular case it's not an issue on AA (have Plat status) or usually on SWA (always buy EarlyBird, usually get seat 12A), but I can see paying a pax a negotiated amount for an exit row on UA and DL.

iolaire likes this.
  7. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes there in lies the challenge, you might be willing to buy a seat from someone with status (who can select it for free) on UA/DL for less than the airline would charge you. And I don't think someone with status would care to sell their seat. I could see a college kid trying to sell their seat, but what are the odds these days that they would have a desirable seat?

As an AA Plat would you be willing to sell your choice seat (in exchange for some middle seat in the back of the plane) for less than someone could have bought it from the airline?

8. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI:
    The poster also posted on other forums. FT is under review, post is gone from The Australian Frequent Flyer.

9. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Better idea is that private or corporate plane owners sells empty seats on routes they are going to fly from in your area. Say your flying your Cesna from OJC to ICT (that's KC to Wichita KS.) and you have two empty seats. You just list them on UberAirr and people buy or bid on them. It's like carpooling for gas money.

iolaire likes this.
  10. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    And for those of us with elite status and lots of miles in our accounts, do we want to risk our accounts being locked for selling off our upgraded seats? I can just see the flight attendant greeting me in first class and the passenger I traded with correcting her that she has the wrong name. Too risky for me and too much to lose.

blackjack-21 likes this.