Uber drivers accused of 32 rapes and sex attacks on London passengers over the past year

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, May 19, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uber drivers accused of 32 rapes and sex attacks on London passengers over the past year

2. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting. There seems to be trouble every major market, uber has expanded.

uggboy likes this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Curious what percentage of total rides Uber has over this time period versus taxi cabs/chauffeured vehicles.

uggboy likes this.
  4. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, while there's a lot of positives about Uber, sadly there's a lot of negatives too. I personally haven't used Uber so far.

5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Would be interesting to know, but Uber should "weed out" drivers who shouldn't be in the business to transport people, especially when the outcome is a negative one.

6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    No disagreement here, but this article doesn't actually say whether they do weed out drivers or not. That's why I'm curious if the percentage of serious incidents being reported is higher in Uber drivers than taxi cab drivers.

If the Uber spokesperson in the article is correct and Uber drivers undergo the same background check process as taxi drivers, then it would be appropriate to compare the two groups. If Uber drivers do have a higher incidence rate (from a statistically significant number of rides) then that could point to a serious flaw in their interview/application process.

anileze and uggboy like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think it's probably just better click "bait" when it is Uber vs some unknown yellow taxi company.

anileze and Pizzaman like this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Touche

anileze likes this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's too easy. Never mind the people who got/get raped using whatever service, be it Uber or any other form of transportation. :(

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    anileze likes this.
  10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Tl; dr

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/27/how-uber-conquered-london

But this stat is interesting:

"Some time in the second half of 2015, the number of Uber drivers in London surpassed the number of black cab drivers, and now stands at around 25,000"

The point is: pretty much every time an Uber driver does something, it seems to make global headlines. If a regular cab driver did the same thing, I suspect you wouldn't hear about it.

That isn't meant to down-play the crimes.

uggboy and anileze like this.
  11. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
    To get a Taxi driver license in NYC, a person has to visit a NYC agency, and go through a test, and drive a licensed vehicle. I'm sure it's more rigorous for Black cab driver in London. But for Uber ? A clean car and time on hand ?

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Apparently not.

http://www.complex.com/life/2016/05/uber-new-york-city-safety

(I know nothing about that site; Google took me there)

"In New York City—but not all of New York state—Uber operates under the Taxi and Limousine Commission (TLC), and is subject to the same rules that are imposed on taxicabs and other for-hire transportation services. “The driver is licensed, the vehicle is licensed, and the base that dispatches them are all separately licensed in order to maintain what I call a ‘chain of accountability’ between all three entities,” explains Allan J. Fromberg, TLC’s deputy commissioner for public affairs. According to him, drivers are fingerprinted for a criminal background check (Houston is the only other city that requires this screening process for Uber drivers), which the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services told us are scanned against any New York state records that date back decades and are provided to them by either an arresting agency or a court."

"Additionally, Uber drivers are also drug tested, vehicles must have insurance and are inspected three times a year, and bases must provide certain consumer protections that meet TLC’s requirements.”

Also, http://driveubernyc.com/tlc-overview/

Pizzaman and anileze like this.
  13. anileze

anileze Gold Member

Status Points:
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think this is how it should be everywhere. Then again, I have had my fair share of really crappy (licensed/background checked) cab drivers in the Bay Area. Crappy in the sense that I feared for my life while they were ignoring speed limits and other traffic laws.

15. desilyn_09

desilyn_09 New Member

Status Points:
    I guess it's not really safe around any more. I mean yes it is, but this just makes it a bit mor edangerous. Fortunately I have not run into any untoward incidents when I used Uber in London for work.