Uber driver tells woman she deserves her cancer...

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by uggboy, Nov 20, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Uber driver tells woman she deserves her cancer and is an animal after she cancels taxi from hospital

2. Dublin_rfk

Dublin_rfk Gold Member

Status Points:
    Garp74 likes this.
  3. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    That is one of the weaknesses of uber. Considering almost anyone can be a driver you are bound to get some who are jerks.

uggboy likes this.
  4. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is actually the same for all employers especially big organisations.
    When you hire many people, there are bound to be staff who is subsequently found not conforming to the company's standards and expectations.
    Rarely it is the company's issue. mostly the individual or a group of individuals.

5. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    There are good people and bad people everywhere, and this sounds like a case of a bad egg. Working at a fortune 500 though I can say they put a lot of effort into people when hiring and if you cause issues like that with a customer you won't be with the company for long. There's also a corporate culture that strongly discourages behavior like that (people/people interactions). Uber looks like they have a fairly decent background checking system, but background checks probably won't catch this sort of behavior, and I don't think uber has a strong corporate culture for discouraging that based on the nature of their career paths. I don't blame uber for this employee's behavior but I also think they are more likely to have these rogue happenings that some other types of businesses.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Technically, I don't think the drivers are actual Uber employees.

Sammich likes this.
  7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know, once upon a time a licensed taxi driver didn't tell me that he was going to run a red light so we'd get broadsided and I'd spend the night in the ER after my one and only ambulance ride. These sorts of incidents happen every day. But they don't make news. Right now if an UBER driver farts in the wrong direction, it makes news.

8. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can see what you are trying to say... but I do not agree that if an UBER driver gets into a traffic accident it will make the news in this kind of context.

Similarly, a traditional taxi driver getting into an accident can make the news in a big way too (nowadays) if the victim tweets about it or post it on the facebook.

All in all, society has dramatically changed as with how we pass on (and consume) information.

Finally, in the traditional sense, most drivers would not have your contact details except for called cabs and even then, some companies still withhold passenger's information from their drivers and act as the intermediary where necessary. For UBER, all drivers have all the contact details of their prospective fares including their probable work or home area if not the exact address.

uggboy likes this.
  9. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well said, but we should not forget about the reported case at thand involving a cancer patient and an Uber driver, what he did was plain wrong and not humane IMHO, as for me, it doesn't matter, Uber driver, taxi driver, any driver shouldn't behave in that way how the Uber driver did behave. Yes, infomartion is different consumed these days than even a few years ago, everything could be reported in seconds on social media and the world would know, Uber or not.

WilliamQ likes this.
  10. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points: