UAL on the line....uh...your flight is overbooked....

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by avflyer, Jul 31, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    ...and if you will take a flight one day later we will guarantee you and your son an upgrade.

This didn't happen to me, but it DID happen to my brother a day ahead of his scheduled departure. Not sure of their routing, but they are flying IAH to KOA. Has this happened to anyone else? My thought is he should have asked for more (like miles or something), since he is a gold and probably had a shot at the U/G anyway unless of course, he is on the IAH-HNL flight.

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are scattered reports of it happening in various scenarios. The options in terms of comp an reroutes are quite flexible as I understand things.

mht_flyer and HeathrowGuy like this.
  3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I had a friend recently called for a transcon where they asked him to travel roughly 4 hours later in exchange for confirming the upgrade.

I'm usually not one to be overly greedy. But, if this were a vacation trip being cut one day short by virtue of the delay I'd probably want more than an upgrade to take the delay. If just an upgrade was offered I'd stick with my original flight.

boondr, IDGflygirl and avflyer like this.
  4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:

I think this is one of those things where experience is key. My bro doesn't fly much, he is gold because my mom is a MM and confers her status onto him. So, since he doesn't REALLY collect miles the way we do, he was probably satisfied with the U/G especially considering they gave it to him inbound and outbound and he is going to be here a couple weeks anyway.

If it were me on the other hand I would have looked to see where I was in the U/G queue or at least looked to see how many open seats there were in first to see if I had a shot at the U/G anyway. Considering what they have to give away for a forced bump, I think they could have thrown in a few thousand miles.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  5. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Agree. There are a number of things he probably could have asked for. FWIW, I'm always happy when I take a friend or family member like your brother and show them the ropes so they know how to get better value next time. But, in the end, if he was happy with the resolution it can't be all that bad.

6. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just found out he is on the 777 ghetto bird from IAH to HNL. Considering that they don't do CPUs on this run, he probably got a good deal, but man, what a crappy A/C. No respect for us Hawaii travelers from UAL. Even Air Canada has upgraded their 763s from YVR to HNL...but that's a different post.

7. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:

I've dealt with the "magic desk" (my term for them) agents twice -- once for a badly oversold flight out of SJU, and another time for an oversold F cabin TPA-IAH. From experience, I can tell one and all EVERYTHING is negotiable (from online/OAL alternative flight options to compensation (both the amount and the form) to booking class for the new flights) with the magic desk agents over the phone. A mutually agreeable solution will (or will not) be reached based on the urgency of United's need to resolve the problem.

8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like this term, "Magic Desk." Certainly better than the lame "Premier Desk" that only knows the world "no." (The 1K and Global Services Desks, of course, remain much better. I don't think I could tolerate being Platinum if I were stuck with the Premier Desk.)

8MiHi, mht_flyer, Flyer1976 and 2 others like this.
  9. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It would be nice if we could call them, or somehow indicate flexibility, if we happen to notice that a flight we are booked on is sold out. Especially if overseas, sometimes wouldn't mind extending a day or two

desamo and avflyer like this.
  10. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wonder if the guy that turns down the "magic desk" offer is more likely to be IDB?

11. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Doubt it. They have pretty strict rules on how those get processed. Plus, if they're doing it correctly, there aren't bumps in the end.

12. radonc1951

radonc1951 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So true. I have had phone calls from CO (not UA) when flights were badly oversold and they were trying to reschedule me to another routing to get back to my final destination, and we did negotiate the compensation (which was really very generous for what amounted to about a 3 hour delay in arrival.) What was humorous was that my rebooked flights still got me home faster than the original since it had a mechanical and was delayed almost 4 hours.

Life can be funny at times

13. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:

Nope. And I should also point out that in both instances, the final offers agreed to with the magic desk were much, much better from a pax standpoint than the likely outcomes had the oversales been handled only at the airport.

boondr and 8MiHi like this.
  14. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I don't know. Each time I've heard offers lately they've been in the $300+ range to take flight later in the day. While I couldn't take advantage of it due to my schedule, I can't imagine significantly better offers out there.

Flyer1976, desamo and 8MiHi like this.
  15. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been getting picked up by a Platinum desk. They have been extremely helpful.

16. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    A group of four of us were scheduled to fly EWR to LAS on an early evening flight last summer. On the morning of the flight I was thinking about using SDCs to take an earlier flight when they called to tell us that our flight was overbooked and would we consider moving to a flight 3 hours earlier? When I said we would consider it, they offered $250 per pax and I took it. They did not offer UGs as first was full on both flights. I guess I let them off too cheaply.

boondr and IDGflygirl like this.
  17. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You took a trade which you considered fair at the time. I'd say there's nothing unreasonable about that. It isn't like they could have magically made F seats appear for you.

Flyer1976, HeathrowGuy and 8MiHi like this.
  18. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are absolutely right. I am and I was quite happy to take the offer. I just get caught up in the blog banter from time to time.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  19. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Boy, but if they could make F seats magically appear, wouldn't that be awesome?

Wandering Aramean and 8MiHi like this.
  20. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Hey, as long as you ended up happy, it doesn't matter what someone else would have taken. Assuming I could make the schedule change without any significant annoyance, $250 to change 3 hours seems reasonable to me. Add to the fact that you were thinking of SDCing anyway and that's a pretty good deal, especially if you're not eligible for free SDC.

21. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I got an original offer of $300 ETC and Coach on Delta upped to $400 ETC and full-Y insta upgraded to F on UA and Copa when a SJU-IAH went badly oversold in Y on a Sunday a couple months back. Final outcome always depends on the severity of UA's need and the passenger's bargaining prowess.

8MiHi and IDGflygirl like this.
  22. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was eligible (gold) for the free SDC as were the three others as one was Gold and the other two were on my pnr.

23. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm really surprised. The model for guessing oversells that UA uses has to be the best around, its almost always guarantees that the flights fly out as full as possible, with minimal to no vols needed. The model is almost flawless on domestic routes, less so on internationals, where people are less flexible.

Personally, a guaranteed upgrade on the next flight is TOTALLY LOW BALL, unless its a BusinessFirst/GlobalFirst market (no instrument or buy up required) . If it was a domestic, non p.s flight I personally wouldn't bite. I would ask for $ (within reason). I would work with what is offered at the airport $300-$350 with a slight premium/haircut for calling me in advance.

24. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually, the routing he was on (IAH-HNL) required an RPU.

25. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm with you. I can't think of a time when an upgrade on a domestic flight would be sufficient for me to sit around the airport for another few hours.