UAL incredibly dense about compensation re: 6/17 mess and downgrade

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by jfhscott, Jun 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well,

I booked a good friend DCA-ORD-LAX using miles in F last Friday. He got to ORD just after the "recent unpleasantness". He was finally reaccomodated, getting to LAX around 4:00 a.m., but got moved down to Y.

I have no idea what UA is doing for pax who were merely delayed, but given the downgrade, I think some compensation is due. So, I got in touch with the Indian call center. The first comment was to inquire if my friend had requested compensation at the gate. I wanted to scream. UA had far more important concerns than making on the spot compensation decisions Friday, and no, he hadn't requested anything.

UA eventually offered what folks are talking about on the other blog ($200 credit, 20% off, or 9000 miles). I took the cash.

An interesting dilemna here - the ticket was a pure gift to my friend, nothing changed hands. Do I keep the credit for myself, or let him use it for a future flight of his own?

2. SirRagnar
    Original Member

SirRagnar Silver Member

Status Points:
    Depends how good a friend he is, but since you offered him the flight in the first place I reckon he is a pretty good friend.

Then I think it depends on whether he would use it. If not, you may as well keep it, but if he is a semi-frequent flier why not go all-in on your gesture and give that to him also :)

sobore likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    My take would be that you keep the credit since you went through the work of getting the compensation. Also, I suspect that your friend flies less than you and/or is less aware of FF programs, so there's the risk that he could inadvertently let it expire unused.

I think you should instead do something else for him, perhaps take him out for a drink or dinner or, if you know when he's traveling again, give him a lounge pass for the trip.

You gave him the ticket with no guarantees and you're certainly not responsible for UA's mess, so you don't really owe him anything, but a gesture would be nice given that you did manage to get something from UA.

doc and jfhscott like this.
  4. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your miles got the ticket, it should be your compensation to keep and use as you see fit. Your friend should understand that if s/he is truly a friend. Yes, they were inconvenienced but we all know that sh*t happens from time to time. They go a trip worth several hundred dollars, what more could they want? (Assume you also paid the fees/taxes on the ticket?)

5. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    He does fly a bit less, and his knowledge about FF programs is that I've got a couple million miles, which makes me a very handy friend.

But in all seriousness, he is a "kid" (as I call him although he is 28) I know from church. In addition to being in the Virginia Army National Guard Reserves, with recent service in Iraq, he has earned a fantastic academic/leadership record at his law school. He's one of the few people I know will make something great of any sacrifice I make for him, so I suppose he gets the ecert.

Exiled in Express and TRAVELSIG like this.
  6. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you should be refunded the difference between Y and F award in addition to any e-cert.

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seems reasonable.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  8. wolfsatz
    Original Member

wolfsatz Silver Member

Status Points:
    Should I ask for compensation for not being able to check in online or at self check the whole weekend? Really was rather annoying as I didn't have any luggage, yet had to stand in huge lines with very grumpy passengers waiting to check luggage to get my boarding passes.

9. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm a little lost though the OP titled it "UAL incredibly dense"

I thought dense meant that UAL was refusing to compensate people for their horrid system failure...yet the OP received compensation for his friend's suffering... so the title is incredibly dense and misleading...

why fly likes this.
  10. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:

Flyer1976 likes this.
  11. jfhscott
    Original Member

jfhscott Silver Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough. I do not know the details, but it is likely that he had done anything, even giving up a F seat on his actual assigned flight to take the most immediate flight to LAX (and while "earlier" that would have been still terribly delayed). You see, he had a gf awaiting his arrival, and he may have made a calculated decision between earlier Y and later F. Perhaps Y seemed more tolerable.

12. winecountryua

winecountryua Silver Member

Status Points:
    Credit toward a future UA/CO flight -- not cash