UAL, HAL "partnership" becoming more dysfunctional.

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by avflyer, Apr 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    What seemed to be bad is getting worse. What was bad was (and is) that HAL doesn't care what you're UA status is, you are going to pay for bags on an inter-island connecting to a UAL flight. Period. Doesn't matter that you are flying on a UA ticket booked on UA flight#, if you are on HA metal, you pay. What's worse is that if you book your HA flight on a separate PNR connecting to a UA flight, you have to go pick up your bags at your connection point and re-check them with UA.

Now, booking a code-share inter-island connecting to a UAL flight is becoming impossible. Normally, we would get complete confirmation and ticketing within an hour of booking. Yesterday I booked a IAH-HNL-KOA the HNL-KOA segment being a code-share. After 8 hours I called UA and turned out the HNL-KOA segment no longer ran. It took the CSR 40 minutes to put me on an alternate HA flight. Now, I am sitting at 16 hours since that was done and still no confirmation / ticketing.

Aloha-Rick likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you still don't have a ticket issued call back and ask them to check that the fare is properly stored. That gets missed often with manual changes like this and it won't ticket without that.

Also, did you look at booking it as IAH-HNL on UA + HNL-KOA on HA without the codeshare via an OTA? Often those price out much cheaper.

avflyer likes this.
  3. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked on UAL.COM. I looked at what you suggested and no joy on that. Thanks for the advice!

4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    They have / had an error message that says 'Check Status Code' R.O.B.????

5. AZjohn

AZjohn Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree that HA charging for bags on a UA itinerary kind of sucks. But, just yesterday I was playing around with a TUS-PHX-HNL-OGG saver award routing and one of the HNL-OGG segments came up with Island Air (WP) instead of HA connection.

I checked out their web site and they list UA and HA as their only partners: http://www.islandair.com/rewards-programs/airline-partners/

So, I don't know much more than that but maybe they might have a interline agreement with UA regarding the baggage fees???

6. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hey John:

Generally speaking and YMMV, baggage charges from HA and WP only occur when you originate with them. I think that the rule is that the baggage fees apply to the "marketing carrier" rules. Marketing carrier meaning the originating airline, not the one you bought the ticket from as would make sense.

AZjohn likes this.
  7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Marketing carrier actually means the airline which has its code on the flight you purchase. Flight UA 9999 flown by HA as flight 8888 and sold/ticketed by AA would be considered AA-plated, UA-marketed and HA-operated.

As for who determines the baggage rules, it used to be that the carrier operating the flight when you checked in was the main factor. Now there is the concept of Most Significant Carrier which generally means the longer flights but it is somewhat confusing and the DoT has exempted the US carriers from it in some ways.

avflyer likes this.
  8. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    I must say, I've had quite negative experiences with HA regarding check-in, priority, bag fees at places like OGG when flying on "partner"-ticketed itins. I don't know why people think they have good CS.

OP: perhaps you are right. The partnership may well now be between UA and, not HA, but... HAL. HALspeak:

"I'm sorry Dave, but I can't let you do that!" :p

8MiHi and avflyer like this.
  9. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I live here so I know the deal. If I get on HA, I need to pay. I'm guessing, though, that there are quite a few United premiers on a vacation in the islands expecting to be able to check their bags free (especially in view of the fact that they may have traveled on HA inbound without a charge) and then....when the ever-so-polite HA agents tell them no, I'm sure hilarity ensues.

10. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    So an update on this from my experience. I purchased a KOA-HNL-ORD leg on UAL.com. The HA is not a code share (my PNR shows the HA flight number not the UA) so I am assuming per Seth's definitions, UA is the plating carrier and HA is the marketing and operating carrier. At any rate, I did on-line check in today on HA and they gave me two free bags! Well, we'll see tomorrow if that really works but I don't see why not. Further, I am a 1K, so (not looking a gift horse in the mouth) should I have not gotten three free bags? Don't need them, just curious.

11. owenbrowntrout

owenbrowntrout Silver Member

Status Points:
    When you check in for the HA flight, try checking your bags at the UA counter. You can also try not checking your bags in for the HA segment: take them to the gate and see if the agent can gate check them through to your final destination.

12. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Uh..I'm not sure I understand this. Please bear in mind I have been traveling these routes since the 70s. I doubt very much that UA in KOA can check a bag on board the HNL-ORD flight. It is just as unlikely to me that HA will just allow me to gate check a 26" case it won't make it through security. Please clarify

13. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depending on availability and route, HA may also offer up a 1st class upgrade for $25 or $50 per segment. So in some cases, upgrading to first class may be cheaper than paying for excess bags/heavy bags.

14. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yup...I watch that. However, most of the time the upgrade from KOA-HNL is $50. I rarely fly through their new hub, OGG so I am assuming that route would be a $25 upgrade. It goes part of the way, but if I have an overweight bag, it is no help as the charge still applies. Thanks for the input.