UAL. Change fee for same reservation?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by tkuebler1, May 28, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. tkuebler1

tkuebler1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I purchased a flight (SFO-BER) and have a W class ticket. If I want to increase my chances for a Global Upgrade can I change the class of ticket without paying the $250 change fee? Is this a good idea? It's the same schedule just a different class.

2. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not an expert on United, but I seem to remember folks saying that the top elites can make changes without fees. Do you have any status on United?

LIH Prem and perryplatypus like this.
  3. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Certain changes are fee-free depending on your elite level, but not changes to non-refundable tickets. (with some exceptions, like Same Day Changes, etc.)

-David

jetsetboy likes this.
  4. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Welcome to MilePoint, tkuebler1! One other thought...if you just purchased the ticket yesterday, then you should be able to call in and change the ticket for no fee. You can cancel tickets within 24 hours with no penalty, so your current W fare ticket would be cancelled, and you could then book the fare class you want.

LIH Prem, misman and jetsetboy like this.
  5. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    Changing the fare class is still a ticketing change, even though everything else is the same. Now, if you wanted to change a refundable fare like Y to W, that would be different...

6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Some airlines don't charge if you're changing to a higher cabin class, but not just a higher fare class. So switching from coach to business or FC can be fee-free, for example on DL. Of course, you pay the fare difference, which can be huge.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    United will charge the change fee in this case, and it quite likely isn't worth it. I wouldn't pay the higher fare even without the change fee.

8. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    yep , especially if you cant get the GPU confirmed at the time you get the more expensive fare,I dont play COs game of purchasing a W and then pray the GPU clears as more likely I just paid alot more $$ to sit in the exact same Y seat. Now if W was the cheapest fare when I purchased that would be something else, but then again Id probably check a day before and after to see if theres anything < a W

PMUA W afre was in alot of cases just a couple $100 more, under CO its usually $100s more .Again I can understand if teh GPU can be confirmed at time of tkting otherwise Im flying E+ and not playing COs Game

9. tkuebler1

tkuebler1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the great information. We shall sit and wait and hope our GPU's don't go the way of the Dodo bird!