UAL and a Sad Dog Story

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HiIslands, Sep 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
  2. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is such a heartbreaking story.:(

3. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, it's sad to see things like this happen to someone's pet. :(

4. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It is extremely unfortunate that this happened, but what was truly heartless was the way United handled it.

macbookguy, hulagrrl210 and HiIslands like this.
  5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for posting this tragedy. Although a year or so away, I am going to be flying my "son," Peluche, from San Jose, Costa Rica to Medellin. This story has made me realize that either he flies with me in the cabin (15 pounds - I'm not sure what Copa's or Taca's limit is), or I will charter a flight.

Peluche was recently attacked by a trained-to-fight Pit Bull that an irresponsible neighbor didn't properly restrain. We are in week 5 of recuperation, and it has been horrible to watch him suffer. The thought of losing him prematurely to save money doesn't even cross my mind now. He has already escaped the Grim Reaper once.

If this could happen in the USA, then I'm sure not going to trust the Latin American airlines - no matter how much I like them - to take care of my dog. Dogs don't generally receive the same appreciation in Latin America that they do in the USA anyway. My heart is broken every day in Costa Rica as I see how OTHER people's dogs are abused. Mine sure as heck isn't going to be one of them.

[​IMG]

macbookguy, pcarol, xFF and 5 others like this.
  6. CGK
    Original Member

CGK Gold Member

Status Points:
    While I do not in any way excuse UA's behavior in this situation, I think it is borderline animal abuse to check a pet as baggage just so that one can bring the pet along on vacation. Either drive, leave the pets with an animal sitter or at a nice kennel, or don't go on vacation away from home.

I would never check a dog as baggage unless it was a one-off event and I had no other reasonable choice.

macbookguy, pcarol, mht_flyer and 9 others like this.
  7. tebfunk

tebfunk Silver Member

Status Points:
    Absolutely heartbreaking, and indeed sounds like it was handled very poorly by United.

Due to several cross-country moves, my dog is probably considered a "frequent flyer" for a canine. However, we have always traveled with her as "checked baggage", rather than "cargo", which I think makes a difference. I would never fly with her in the summer.

8. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Jubilee had flown a few times in the past and did fine. Not sure I would want to fly Kiki unless she were with me in the cabin these days, no matter which airline I fly. These days, anything can happen to any of us

macbookguy likes this.
  9. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is United's statement on the incident:

United Airlines, meanwhile, said that they "understand that the loss of a beloved pet is difficult" and express their condolences to Rizer and her family.
    "After careful review," United continued, "we found there were no mechanical or operational issues with Bea's flight and also determined she was in a temperature-controlled environment for her entire journey. We would like to finalize the review but are unable until we receive a copy of the necropsy."
    Rizer writes that the necropsy performed by their longtime veterinarian determined that Bea died of heatstroke but they couldn't determine "exactly what happened" on the plane.
    The $1,800 that Rizer's family paid to transport both pets is being refunded and United also covered the cost of the necropsy.

Source: E!

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    A new low ;)

macbookguy and maradori like this.
  11. macbookguy

macbookguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ugh. I don't know I could ever fly with my pooches for just these reasons. My dogs are... for lack of a better phrase... adorable attention whores... so they wouldn't do well in a cabin as they would want to be all over everyone. Even with training I think they'd just go into overload. But then you read stories like this when people check their dogs and ugh... I would never put them in a cargo hold in the summer but I would also expect the airline to be forthright with me. My heart goes out to the family.

12. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    For the record, pets carried on board must remain in a pet carrier throughout the entire duration of the boarding, flight and deplaning process. They aren't allowed to introduce themselves to anyone or mark their territory. They wouldn't be "all over" anyone. ;)

This is still a traumatic process for most of them. The most humane way to deal with it is to have your trusted veterinarian prescribe the appropriate dosage of mild tranquilizers for the trip.

There are also size and weight limits, so a Golden Retriever would never be aboard the passenger section of any commercial flight. They have to fit under the seat in front of you just like any other piece of carry on "luggage."

HiIslands and IDGflygirl like this.
  13. Horse
    Original Member

Horse Gold Member

Status Points:
    Every time I think of this story, it breaks my heart.

HiIslands and IDGflygirl like this.
  14. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    This week at SFO, our PetSafe program saved a dog's life. This dog arrived from South Korea in bad shape- curled up in his kennel, shaking and throwing up. The PetSafe agent immediately ran the dog to the animal hospital and the dog was found to be suffering from pneumonia. The dog was in the hospital for almost a week and today he was sent on his way to PHL, his original final destination. :)

15. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow -- that's a scary story, but with a happy ending!

I imagine that pet may have been coming 'home' with their family during a move. Sad that the dog had contracted pneumonia, though.

HiIslands and LETTERBOY like this.
  16. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    The vet told us that the dog was way too sick to have contacted this while enroute. I love this ending of this story because too many times we get the blame for a pet's death.

17. IDGflygirl
    Original Member

IDGflygirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am surprised that the vet on the other side -- 'verified' this dog's health & signed off on teh docs!;):eek:

HiIslands and LETTERBOY like this.