UA879 canceled 2 days in a row

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by SnowDogDad, Jan 9, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. SnowDogDad

SnowDogDad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anyone know the scoop on UA879 (HNL -> NRT) being canceled 2 days in a row? Yesterday and today (Friday). Yesterday it was canceled hours before departure due to maintenance issues. Today, they boarded the plane, backed out, sat out on the tarmac for 30 minutes, pulled back in, unloaded, reboarded, and then canceled (maintenance issues) after waiting 3 hours.

Both flights were heavily booked. And, tomorrow's flight is already over-sold.

I'm partially curious because now I have the joy of my mother-in-law in my house for 3 more days. Plus, 2 days in a row canceling a 777-200 that is heavily booked would really throw a wrench in their loads for a few days.

Flyer1976 and Newscience like this.
  2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't know what's wrong with it, but I see it oversold until 1/14.

Newscience likes this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just curious, were you (or mom-in-law) booked on any of the cancelled flights? If so, was there any compensation from UA for no flight?

I recall (@ 10 years ago) certain folks getting tons of miles and comped overnight hotel stays from missed/cancelled flights out of HNL.

4. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    And today's (Saturday) flight is already delayed by 3.5 hours for "aircraft maintenance".

Since this is now day 3 of this ongoing saga I am wondering why UA hasn't brought in another 777 or returned one of the 747s they were flying on this route.

Newscience likes this.
  5. SnowDogDad

SnowDogDad Silver Member

Status Points:
    NewScience: She was booked on the originally canceled flight and was rebooked in to one of the last seats on yesterday's flight. They gave her a $125 eCertificate (which she will never be able to use). She is staying with us, so no need for a hotel.

Hilslands: Good question. I expect United could re-position another 777 pretty easily or bring in a 747. But, they would need the crews to fly the 747. I suspect for the next several days, they are going to need the capacity that a 747 would bring to the equation.

Anyone know if eCertificates can be used by someone else?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
    Newscience likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is it a TCVA with a program year and PIN code? If so it can be used by anyone.

As for why they don't just move some planes around, it is usually not as easy as it seems. There is not a ton of spare capacity in the system in general and many are in the shop getting IFE/C upgrades right now.

IDGflygirl likes this.
  7. SnowDogDad

SnowDogDad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure about 'TCVA' (not sure what it stands for.) Here is what they sent. Redacted, of course. (She is not a MP member.)

An Electronic Travel Certificate has been issued to XXX XXXXX (Mileage Plus )valid towards the purchase of one electronic airline ticket, where eligible, on United up to $125.00.

Redemption information - Total Value: $125.00 Promotion Code: XXXXXX PIN Code: XXXXXXXXXXXXX Issued Date: 1/10/2015 Expiration Date: 1/10/2016 Original Ticket Number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

The reference for this item is: XXXXXX

Newscience likes this.
  8. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, anyone can literally use this cert as @Wandering Aramean pointed out

SnowDogDad likes this.
  9. SnowDogDad

SnowDogDad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed, it would be bad business for an airline to keep a spare $300M 777-200 sitting in the hanger and then re-position it to another station at a cost of $25,000 per hour (I'm guessing) or more so that it can pick up the load from a canceled flight. The only hope an airline has of being competitive and profitable is if they keep their metal in the air as much as possible.

Newscience likes this.
  10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Airlines do generally keep spare planes in their fleet but they are mostly in the hubs. And they are not always available as other routes might also be having issues.

And it is not that the plane is idle so much as they rotate them through light maintenance and other such things but where they can be released quickly if needed. At one point CO essentially had one half of a spare 764 in the fleet and that was supposed to cover the whole wide body operation.

They have something, just not a lot.

rggale and HiIslands like this.
  11. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    Flight 879 departed HNL for NRT 6 hours and 10 minutes late today. This after two days of no service at all. I don't consider this competitive and it probably isn't profitable either.

I need more reliability than this in my schedule, but reliability seems to be in short supply these days.

Dublin_rfk, Newscience and viguera like this.
  12. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That route is served by several carriers. Surely you can choose another if one does not meet your needs, no??

Export from Wandering Aramean Travel Tools
    Code:
    Flight Timetable -- HNL-NRT for date: 20150211 at 00:00 on All Airlines
    Carrier|Flight|From |To   |Dep. Time|Arr. Time|Schedule|Equipment|Duration|Exceptions|
    JL     |785   |HNL  |NRT  |09:15    |13:30+1  |1234567 |788      |9:15    |          |
    DL     |579   |HNL  |NRT  |10:27    |14:30+1  |1234567 |744      |9:03    |          |
    KE     |2     |HNL  |NRT  |10:50    |15:40+1  |1234567 |333      |9:50    |          |
    DL     |295   |HNL  |NRT  |11:29    |16:10+1  |1234567 |76W      |9:41    |          |
    UA     |879   |HNL  |NRT  |11:35    |16:00+1  |123---7 |777      |9:25    |2/15/2015 |
    NH/NQ  |181   |HNL  |NRT  |11:50    |16:15+1  |1234567 |763      |9:25    |          |
    JL     |783   |HNL  |NRT  |12:05    |16:20+1  |1234567 |788      |9:15    |          |
    JL     |781   |HNL  |NRT  |12:45    |17:00+1  |1234567 |772      |9:15    |          |
    CI     |17    |HNL  |NRT  |12:50    |16:55+1  |1234567 |333      |9:05    |          |

Powered by The Wandering Aramean Travel Tools. Click for your free account!

WilliamQ, rggale, IDGflygirl and 2 others like this.
  13. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    As a 1K I would much prefer that United improved their reliability. But being 1K seems to engender fuzzy thinking about allegiance over rational selection of a more reliable carrier. You're right. I should choose another carrier

Newscience and viguera like this.
  14. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's easy for them to run into issues when they only have one daily flight on that route though. And having issues for a couple of days will undoubtedly throw a huge monkey wrench into the schedule.

I still see everything oversold until 1/14, where the loads are still not online so it looks empty. Worst case I would have gone back the other way and had them put me on the SFO flight then to HND, which is the long way around it but at least had open seats.

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or via Guam :)

viguera and Newscience like this.
  16. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    There are a small number (thankfully) of folks on Milepoint who do not see the need to explain the acronyms/abbreviations they use, which remain unexplained by highlighting with the Milepoint "abbreviation explainer" function. It would be great if Milepoint actively work to include definitions for many these infrequent acronyms, with the direct assistance of those who choose to use them.

FWIW, I found this on the United Airlines website, which may be useful in understanding (TCVA) - or perhaps not:

https://hub.united.com/en-us/news/products-services/pages/redeem-travel-certificates-online.aspx

17. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    The rest of us use Google and thus now know that TCVA stands for the Turchin Center of the Visual Arts on the campus of Appalachian State University in Boone, NC.

See? Ya always learn something new and useful on MP.

18. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    From now on, I'm relying on HaveMilesWillTravel to provide my frequent flyer definitions! :D

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    That's a TCVA. I'm pretty sure the Promo Code starts with those letters still, though maybe not. And it has the PIN code as suggested before. You're fine to use that one for any passenger.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
    SnowDogDad likes this.
  20. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    No no no.

It's the tri county volleyball association.

Masters of the bump.

Honestly though, as long as there's enough context, jargon is fine, and at some point expected.

21. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have friends in Hawaii on this flight later this month en route to SIN. They get into SIN just after midnight on UA and their cruise leaves in the afternoon. Their travel agent assured them they could easily make this cruise. Once I found out, via other relatives, I was a little concerned, but they're locked in now unless they want to pay change fees.

Are there any options to get to Singapore same-day, or do you pretty much have to wait 24 hours until the next UA flight? As flyers with no elite-status, would they stand a chance of getting UAL to move then over to someone else? I see an Air Japan flight later in the day to HND on Expert Flyer, with a connection on ANA to SIN, but is that it in terms of getting out the same day to SIN?

Newscience likes this.
  22. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA has one flight to NRT which is this one and one from there on to SIN daily (UA 803). I doubt the problems will go on past the next few days, but it's certainly a gamble for a cruise... If something doesn't jive either in Hawaii or Japan they're not gonna have a good time :)

tom911 and Newscience like this.
  23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Booking to arrive half way around the world for a cruise departing ~12 hours later is a risky move. Hopefully they have trip interruption insurance which would cover a delay.

There are also HA and JL flights to HND which can connect onward to SIN. And 2x weekly there is a CI flight via NRT to TPE which connects to a BR flight to SIN arriving at noon. That would make an afternoon cruise departure impressive but not impossible, depending on when the ship casts off.

24. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there history of UA moving any passengers over to Hawaiian or JAL, though, particularly non-elite passengers? Anyone know? Do they even put that option in play, or you just go out 24 hours later on UA?

I know they didn't buy their airfare from the cruise line and no idea if they bought travel insurance. The first port of call is in Vietnam so if they miss the cruise departure in Singapore they'll need to catch up. I told a relative to explain to them that UA has no obligation at all to get them to Vietnam, so they are aware of the risks at this point. I'm just surprised a travel agent would sell them a ticket without leeway for any type of delay when they have thousands of dollars on the line. I'll ask about the travel insurance.

viguera and Newscience like this.
  25. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    The travel agent might have tried to sell them insurance, but maybe they declined because of the cost? Or perhaps they had some foresight and purchased it, but it's always a toss-up either way. Depending on the exact terms, it's entirely possible that the insurance wouldn't cover the eventuality of them being delayed by UA, and they would have to take it up with them for reimbursement.

Taking a cruise out of a port other than your home port is always a gamble, but sometimes it's a necessity. I have quite an expensive one coming up out of MIA next month, and I'm hoping that the weather gods cooperate here in the NorthEast. I'm flying out the day before out of JFK, which should minimize the chances that I'll run into problems, but we'll see. :) And no, I didn't opt for trip insurance in spite of the cost, because I figured I'll roll the dice and hope we don't get a blizzard the day before... :)

swazzie and Newscience like this.