UA840 from MEL

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Muerl, Apr 22, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    My Wife and I are planning a trip to New Zealand to visit friends.

So, I am looking to do BOS-(LAX)-AKL(Destination)-MEL(STOPOVER)-(SYD)-(LAX)-BOS

This morning before I had my second cup of coffee I locked in the BOS-(IAH)-LAX-AKL segment and put it on a 4 day hold because there were not enough miles in my wife's account.

After I had my second cup of coffee I was worried about getting home since Last night I could not find a flight between AKL-SFO/LAX with a Y award seat so we talked about going to MEL to visit her friends there because there is availability in March on EITHER UA or QF.

The first question, which I recall reading the answer to was yes but I am making sure, that I can put a hold on the return and then call up and have them merge the reservations into a round trip and book it together (for the free stop over)

The second question is basic. I read somewhere that the 747 that leaves MEL for SYD actually is a Different Plane than the one that leaves SYD for LAX. Is this still the case? The reason is we will have a lap infant, and transferring from plane to plane in SYD will make the whole thing even worse than expected. Also, since this is a very long ways away from most UA destinations, how much concern is there about IROps?

Third Question, how is the Hard Product and Catering on the route? Will it match UA inter-asia or will it be better or worse?

Finally, in steerage with no status, does it make sense to book the return on UA Metal with the stop, or book the return is AAdvantage miles on QF Y direct MEL-LAX and cross the ditch on either some QF miles I have sitting around, or Avios, or Cash?

I have enough UA Miles and UR points to book the whole thing, and plenty of AA miles to book the return that way as well, so using one set of miles over the other doesn't matter to so much as product and transit time, and possibility of getting a bassinet row.

MX likes this.
  2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Merging two separate reservations is, IME, not possible. Changing a one-way to a return is.

If you're going to be in Y without any other benefits otherwise I'd take the most direct/easiest routing.

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've done merging and splitting reservation a number of times with AA. No experience doing it with UA, but certainly worth a try.

Muerl likes this.
  4. edcho

edcho Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA's systems aren't capable of merging res. like WA said above. The only way to do this is to cancel everything and rebook everything from scratch (maybe an agent can help you rebook though?).

As for changing planes, off the top of my head, I do believe that the planes do change at SYD, and I also believe they also have a spare 744 in SYD (I may be totally wrong) so IRROPS shouldn't be a huge concern. Then again, like most things, equipment changes frequently (esp at UA) so something that may hold true today may be totally different tomorrow.

Just prepare for the unexpected and you should be fine.

Muerl likes this.
  5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely no spare UA plane in SYD. There are two flights down on UA, one from SFO and one from LAX. One will continue on to MEL and back. I believe passengers have to get off and get on again even if it is the same plane through because it is not the same crew.

6. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is true. Pax do have to get off for about 30 minutes, IIRC.

7. Muerl
    Original Member

Muerl Gold Member

Status Points:
    So this, plus the comparison of hard product of a QF a380 or a UA 747 has me leaning to a QF return.

Thank you for the feedback :)

Wandering Aramean likes this.