UA zeroing out F buckets at the 24 hour market with CPUs

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Aug 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, some people are happy because they got what they wanted. Others not so much.

This week is the second week in a row of domestic travel for me (I've switched to almost all international this year) and all of my flights have been zeroed out in the "F" bucket at the 23h58m mark. And UA is filling the cabin with CPUs. I've seen countless posts on OTBB about how UA shouldn't be holding any seats back and should process CPUs. (Note: I know it's CPU because I watch the mobile website. Plus most people can't enter their credit card fast enough to do a TOD).

Well, as someone who gets to buy business class now I don't like this policy at all. It has made SDC impossible for me now. Tomorrow I'm flying out of LAX and every single flight to SFO is F=0. Every single flight to DEN is F=0. Note: I'm staying on the west coast so I haven't looked at east coast hubs).

Also, last week I was in ORD at before check-in for every ORD-SEA flight inventory was showing F=3/4/5 depending on the flight. Right after the 24 hour mark every single flight was zeroed out.

I wish UA would go back to holding F=1 or 2 until at least 3 hours before departure.

-Rob

2. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't believe this is the case system-wide. Not sure why LAX-SFO/DEN zero'd out at T-24, but my experiences this summer have been that at least one F seat is kept open for purchase/TOD. I SDC'd to a flight last week from SEA-IAD and got F no problem.

Now, that said, I just did 10 minutes of flight searches to find flights within T-24, and every single one of them was booked full in F. But it's also summer time/August, so ... :)

3. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    While I do believe UA holds back less seats than AA, I do believe if SMI/J and team think they can sell a last-minute seat for even a dollar they're trying to do that whenever possible. And, as Garp says, it's summer and planes are very full.

rggale, Flyer1976, flyforawg and 2 others like this.
  4. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    We all know what SMI/J is trying to do with purchased upgrades. This is smack in the face of the data I have seen the last two weeks with my domestic travel. Every single flight is F=0 so there is no possibility of purchasing an upgrade.

-Rob

5. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You get to buy A/F so the good news is in 3 weeks, you'll have plenty of A and F bucket inventory to choose from for your SDCs. For now, just try and survive the crowds :)

8MiHi, Flyer1976 and rggale like this.
  6. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    If a SDC is really important to you, you can always (provided there's space) downgrade. I just did it myself last week, and I survived.

8MiHi and redtailshark like this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The question is can one downgrade to Y and be priority wait listed for F instead of being treated like a customer seeking complimentary upgrade into the premium cabin?

8MiHi and TravelerRob like this.
  8. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, IME.

8MiHi likes this.
  9. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience is similar to Garp74s in which most flight I've flown or tried to fly had at least 1 F open.

I've also SDCd around as a F passenger too...and I'm sure many others are which could be why it goes to 0 at 24.

There's been very reasonable P fares to/from west coast cities this summer, so I suspect there could be a decent amount of SDCing F's which would take that last seat or two away at 24.

10. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, I've just been CPUd EWR-LAX at T-72. Surprising to say the least.

rggale, Flyer1976, Weatherboy and 2 others like this.
  11. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    So apparently my comments in this thread aren't being read :)

I clearly pointed out that it's not SDC'ing or TOD's because I can watch the mobile site and see the upgrades happen at the 23:58 mark which ZEROES out the F cabin. It's not SDC causing this problem. It's UA clearing all remaining F seats at the ~24 hour market with CPU as clearly shown by the mobile site. It's possible I'm just the super unlucky one two weeks in a row but I doubt it.

But I'm back to international travel for now so it won't affect me again for awhile.

-Rob