UA will change seat labeling of 319, 320, 752 (non-ps) as of June 9, 2011

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Nelumbo, Mar 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA will change seat labeling of 319, 320, 752 (excluding the p.s configuration) as of June 9, 2011
    It is just change of labeling, not layout.
    Some of your favorite seats may have different numbers.
    319 Seatmap
    320 Seatmap
    752 Seatmap

Punki likes this.
  2. rustyr
    Original Member

rustyr Active Member

Status Points:
    Don't know what to make of the big jump in row numbers back in eplus but I guess UA/CO is superstitous as there no longer any row 13.

Scottrick likes this.
  3. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    And apparently row 9 is sacred on the Airbii as well.

As well, the letters C and D are not as cool as E and F in first.

4. FOH

FOH Active Member

Status Points:
    It looks like they're standardizing the number for the exit row. I suppose it makes sense in that sense but I think it's going to be quite confusing for pax to skip between 6 and 9 numbers in the middle of coach. It's odd enough on other airlines to start the Y row numbers in the 20's for a narrowbody but I'm not sure I'd otherwise pay enough attention to realize there's a huge gap in the middle of economy.

5. DenverBrian
    Original Member

DenverBrian Silver Member

Status Points:
    We discussed this at TOBB back when the ex-TED 320s were reconfigured; at the time, they made the first row of coach row 6, and that thoroughly confused the heck out of the exit row numbers. Looks like now, all UA mainline narrow body planes will start coach at row 7 and exit rows at the wings will all be 20 and 21. Seems like a better long-range strategy, and will make the logistics around aircraft swaps a bit easier.

6. Punki
    Original Member

Punki Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good info. Thanks!

Although we are not doing a lot of UA domestic travel any more, it looks like they haven't touched the sacredness of my seat--1A.

7. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Nice, it's akin to what CO did last year, row 20 is the non-reclining exit row, 21 is the reclining one usually... :)

8. unroadwarrior
    Original Member

unroadwarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think this is good. Now one can look at a seat # and know whether you have an exit row or not without wondering which aircraft it is.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  9. sdcarver
    Original Member

sdcarver Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the update, I have looked up my reservations and I needed to change some of my seats back to their original seat assignment.

sdcarver

10. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just another step in standardization of the seat numbering system. Great information. Thanks for sharing.

11. zabes
    Original Member

zabes Active Member

Status Points:
    Finally something from United I am "going to like" I really appreciate knowing if there is a 320/320 that 10/11 or 11/12 320 Exit row seati setup or 320/319 swap that Im going to keep my Exit row seat, I've definitely been bitten before going from a row 12 Exit row to a row 12 E-

12. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    What kinda of self respecting Frequent Flyer does not know the type of plane they will be flying? ;)

13. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What kinda self respecting Frequent Flyer doesn't know that aircraft types are routinely swapped at the last minute? :D

spaced2 and unroadwarrior like this.
  14. SS255
    Original Member

SS255 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm flying to BOS on 6/9. I went into my reservation, and sure enough, my seat was still 9C. I went into the seat map, moved myself to 8C. :p

For those of you with pending UA reservations on or after 6/9, you must take a proactive stance to retain your desired seats. When CO did this switch, they automatically preserved the actual seats, and the seat numbers were updated.

Interestingly, since this is a codeshare flight, the UA website lists my correct seat assignment on the UA metal flight, and the incorrect seat assignments on the CO metal flights. However, the CO website lists my correct seat assignments on the CO metal flights.

15. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even when there were row 13s CO never used the number. And yes it is because the powers that be thought the number was unlucky.

For more information, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triskaidekaphobia

16. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well the new numbers are certainly a little screwbally though it is nice to know that you will no longer lose an exit row or E+ because of an equipment swap.

17. jupper
    Original Member

jupper Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check out the CO PDA website or Android App, the latter was able to pull up the correct UA seats for me...

18. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is excellent news and one of the CO things that I really hoped would carry over.

For those of us who spend a fair amount of time on the airbii, it's never fun to think you're in the reclining exit row and board to find you're in the either the non-reclining row or the first row of E- instead.

I also note that this is the same scheme CO uses on the 737 and the 753 which makes sense since we're probably be seeing swaps between legacy CO and legacy UA equipment at times once the FAA acts on the operating certificate.

adambadam likes this.
  19. unroadwarrior
    Original Member

unroadwarrior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for stepping in for me DenverBrian. :fistbump:

20. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Who said anything about planes not getting swapped out.

But most self respecting Frequent Flyers know to "trust but verify" and use tools like unitedcargo.com and such to keep ahead if any plane changes.

21. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I'm not THAT anal about my flights. Neither are most self respecting Frequent Flyers. And I'm certainly not going to have my nose buried in my phone checking unitedcargo.com 60 minutes and 40 minutes and 20 minutes before the flight - all times when planes have indeed been swapped. So the original post stands: It's an improvement to always know your exit row seat will be your exit row seat even if narrow bodies swap.

SS255 likes this.
  22. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wow, you must be going through a bad streak if planes are getting swapped out with that much regularity and that down to the wire.

I also didn't realize that United had that many extra planes around to make them available for swaps < 60 minute before departure.

23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Indeed, it sucks that the airlines are standardizing things to make it easier on their passengers. Now whatever will we do with all the free time we have due to no longer needing to repeatedly check on the equipment type to ensure that we still have our preferred seats?

:rolleyes:

24. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's not even that though, if you are at a hub and they did some jockeying between an ex-Ted 320 and a regular 320 you can end up in the first row of E- very quickly. And that can happen because a gate was open and another wasn't when the first plane arrived, one flight was a little over sold and they decided to get another six seats, etc, etc.

25. DenverBrian
    Original Member

Status Points:
    What self-respecting Frequent Flyer doesn't know that? :D :D :D