UA vs. CO: Companion upgrade question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by harry0233, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. harry0233
    Original Member

harry0233 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am going to NYC this spring break with my friend. I'm UA 1P. I found 2 itienrieies: SEA-IAH-LGA(CO) and SEA-ORD-LGA(UA) on Tuesday. He never flies F so I really want him to get upgraded. I'm fine at the back of the plane.

I prefer SEA-ORD-LGA since it's on UA metal. my friend can upgrade with me at 72 hrs mark.However, I don't have any experience on this route so I am not sure how hard to get upgraded.
    There's a slim chance for him to get upgrade on CO since they only upgrade companion at the gate. However, CO 737-800 has more seats than UA A319.

Should I go with UA or CO? is it possible for me to get my companion ELR seat on CO for free like UA Econ +?

Thank you so much!

2. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
  3. roberton3
    Original Member

roberton3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    On CO, if you have enough status to book an ELR seat for free, you can also book companions into those seats. But I'd still go with UA if I were you. As you said, companion upgrades only come at the airport, and they seem to be much, much tougher to get than they used to be. So if you really want to get your friend upgraded, UA is probably the better bet.

4. ifly153
    Original Member

ifly153 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I say go with UA. I think you have a decent upgrade shot on SEA-ORD, but not so good on ORD-LGA. On CO, for me as a 1K, I've been 0/3 and always way down the waitlist, but it has been on the elite heavy route SFO-IAH. Although SEA-HOU is not as elite heavy, I'm not sure 1Ps on CO really have a realistic upgrade chance on most routes since they are behind golds, 1Ks, and plats.

In both cases, since it will probably come down to the gate, and its very possible you will get upgraded and your friend will not. If you want him to experience F, you might need to do what I do when I fly with my wife - walk through the gate together and switch BPs on your way to sitting in the back.