UA vs CO automatic upgrades - working?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by bonnerbl, May 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was very pleased when CO gave me their equivalent of 1K status and looked forward to some upgrades. Since then my experience has been almost always upgraded on UA, -never- upgraded on CO. Does this jibe with your experiences? or I had the bad luck of picking the wrong CO flights?

2. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Without knowing what your routes are, it is difficult to say. Are you using your Platinum No. in your CO reservations or your 1K No.? Plats have upgrade priority to 1Ks on CO metal. If you are trying to upgrade the big transcons (i.e. EWR-SFO/LAX) and/or the midcons (IAH-SFO/LAX) those can be really tough. My upgrade percentage on CO has been quite good, but I know there are certain routes that it won't happen (the above-mentioned) or SEA-IAH on a Thursday night for instance.

Good Luck!

3. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm. I thought when CO gave me Platinum status their systems would id me that way. But took a look at my boarding passes and they say 1K not Platinum. The implication of this is that when I fly Continental I need to use my CO mileage plan # so it triggers the Platinum and the upgrade status, then when the miles get posted, logon to my account and transfer the miles to UA for my UA status. :(

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you should use the CO number on CO metal for the upgrade priority.

No, you do not "transfer" anything for the EQMs to count. By virtue of having linked your accounts the EQMs are tallied in parallel for the purposes of status. You do not need to do anything.

gobluetwo likes this.
  5. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    That matches my experience when I fly on CO routes that are "upgrade-impossible" (DCA-IAH at rush hour, SNA-EWR). Flying on Saturdays (unsurprisingly) seems to be the golden ticket to CO upgrades.

As a UA 1K I do of course have several CR-1s that I can use on hard-to-upgrade flights. The CR-1s are of no use on continental, where I find my self on more hard-to-upgrade flights than I do on UA.

6. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Read ya loud and clear, there are just certain routes where upgrades are not likely to happen. I reckon that at some point this year UA CR1s and SWUs will be useable on CO, and the CO 2011 variety will be useable on UA when deposited.:)

7. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bolding mine: Yup-like IAD-SFO on any flight, any time of day and any day of the week

Rlpro likes this.
  8. dogcrazy
    Original Member

dogcrazy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Any idea when this will happen ? Using UA SWU and CR1 on CO flight...

9. Gtitan
    Original Member

Gtitan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pure speculation would be some time this year. Would make sense to allow when CO elites get their SWUs/CR-1 (I.e. the 2011 variety), but again, my crystal ball is very opaque.;):D

10. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't had that issue and I am just a UA 1P/CO Plat. In fact, I received an upgrade notification last Thursday for a flight I am taking this Thursday. CO flights and my CO # is in the reservation.