UA Upgrade Sweeps

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by ryeguy, Jan 15, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ryeguy

ryeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hello!

Quick question regarding UA's schedule for upgrade sweeps. How often do they do these?

I had two GPUs that I used to request UGs for myself and my partner from SFO - BKK via NRT departing Jan 9. The NRT - BKK UGs cleared immediately and the SFO - NRT were wait listed. The Equipment is a 747 and there appear from seat maps to be around 15 seats available with about a month left before the flight.

Is there a predictable sweep process that UA uses to release empty J seats into R inventory? The thought of 11 hrs in E+ is keeping me up at night. (I'm a wuss).

Thanks for your help!!

Ryan

8MiHi likes this.
  2. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You meant Feb 9th? (Cause Jan 9 is already gone).
    Nope, no predictable way to understand when/why/how UA clears upgrades.

These are supposed to clear "Automagically".....however,....
    I would suggest you watch your flights very closely .....in case you see "R" class available, call it in immediately.

3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    The only "sweeps" which happen are at 24 hour intervals prior to scheduled departure from 5 days out. Otherwise the process is dynamic.

8MiHi likes this.
  4. ryeguy

ryeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

5. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    If that was the only tidbit of knowledge I had gained from reading this forum, it would be worth all the hours I have spent here. IME, UA almost never clears instrument UGs with a sweep. I watch it closely, and many times have successfully snagged a seat up front that I'm sure I would have otherwise missed. CPUs are a different story, but instruments? They require constant vigilance.

Flying UA often feels like having a part time job.

snod08 likes this.
  6. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You get to really "earn" that 1K status:D

7. Desidivo

Desidivo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ahh, something new I did not know. So what you are saying is that we should see if R opens up. What is the easiest way to do this? I don't get time to look since my company never give me time to relax when traveling. How often and when do you check?

8. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check as often as possible. It can open up any time. Check it using "Expert mode" on UA.com

In reality, if a waitlist exists for a flight, then the wait-listed folks should clear (per order of priority) as soon as the "R" bucket opens up. So, in theory, we should not see the R-bucket open in these situations (as passengers are waiting for it already).

However, unfortunately, we all know the reality.....

jonk likes this.