UA to QF in SYD/MEL on 016 ticket to CBR

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Sep 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    All,
    I'm off to AU next week and need to get to CBR on the outbound and my return will either be MEL or SYD, not sure which yet.

UA will sell me a ticket to CBR via SYD or MEL on UA and then connecting to QF all on 016 ticket stock. Good idea? Bad idea?

I will have checked bags so I'm also wondering if they go through automatically or if I need to pick them up and check them back in in SYD/MEL.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA can interline both etickets and baggage to QF, so if they're willing to sell it, I don't see why it would be an issue.

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have vague recollections of needing to collect bags in SYD and then transfer to the domestic terminal and then recheck them. That was separate from which airline was being flown and more about that the two terminals were basically wholly separate facilities. But that was a long time ago and the memories aren't the sharpest.

4. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    Australian customs and immigration is at the first entry airport - ie either SYD or MEL.

At SYD you will need to take checked luggage through customs and out to QF domestic transfer desk (in the international terminal). As you are flying onward on QF on the same ticket you will have a free inter-terminal bus ride. Otherwise, if on separate tickets or flying Jetstar/Tiger, you would have to pay for bus or train (or taxi) to get to the domestic terminals. There is no way to walk between international and domestic. Allow a minimum 90 minutes connection, 120 minutes early in the morning.

At MEL it is simpler, domestic terminal for QF is right next to international terminal. Grab a free luggage cart and take checked bags through customs and across to the domestic terminal, redeposit, pick up boarding pass if you don't already have this and clear security. Allow a minimum 60 minutes connection.

Garp74, TravelerRob, snod08 and 2 others like this.
  5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    On the way back you can get bags through checked (as long as on a single ticket - if not Qantas will only check as far as SYD/MEL).

6. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Many thanks, kiwi. Appreciate the detail.

I'd prefer to get off in SYD and transfer to CBR simply because it prevents me from having to fly to MEL and then backtrack to CBR. Agree about the two hours. I've done SYD before (not connecting) and immigration/customs alone has taken more than 60 minutes. Although now I have figured out how to get my massively fat passport into the e-passport readers so I don't have to stand in line for a passport stamp.

Appreciate everyone else's input as well. Sounds like a connection to QF isn't a big deal from UA.

-Rob