UA to Furlough 685 FAs

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Captain Oveur, Jan 16, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Those limited-edition amenity kits aren't going to pay for themselves.

Source

estnet, Flyer1976, Newscience and 2 others like this.
  2. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sad to see and a reminder of the times, what with all the mergers and promises not being kept of no cutbacks nor furloughs or routes and flights being reduced.

Tell them that AIr Canada's "Rouge" is looking to hire some new FA's, if they can get approval to come up here. Also I thought I'd read somewhere that AA is looking for more staff, but with their recent merger with US Airways that may not be the case.

Gargoyle likes this.
  3. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, AA was hiring (still might be, I don't know). They gave early retirement and other packages to some FAs, and hired some replacements to save on labo(u)r costs.

Gargoyle likes this.
  4. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    A friend told me of a res agent who was given option of a buyout because " we can hire three new people for what we pay you". Her reply that she could do the work in 1/4 the time..........probably fell on deaf ears

I guess the frustration of passengers who have to teach the agents their jobs isn't taken into account!

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does feel to me like UA must spend $10 on extra employee costs for every $1 they save on licensing costs by using SHARES

estnet likes this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Turns out they can go work for the sCO side of the operation if they want, too. The sUA union leadership didn't want this to happen but the sCO half of the union agreed to it. The employees will keep their pay and vacation scale but drop to the bottom on bid/scheduling priority if they take the deal. But they get to keep working, and they were already pretty much at the bottom of the seniority list anyways.