UA ticket for AC/SQ flights - gotchas?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, May 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi all,
    This is a first for me and I just want to make sure I have this right. I found a great airfare SEA-SIN for J class on Google Flights. However, Google said I had to call AC to book the flights as the majority of the flights were AC-coded/operated with one or two flights by UA (depending on how you routed). Instead of calling AC I called UA and asked if they could book the ticket. The agent gave it the good 'ol college try and she said she could ticket it but that I had to wait 24 hours for AC and SQ to confirm the flights. Fast forward 24 hours and I called back and UA said everything looked good so they went ahead and ticketed it. The best part is the fare I got was even $650 cheaper than what Google Flights showed.

So my questions:
    1. All flights, except one, are operated by AC or SQ. Who is responsible if something goes wrong? I'm assuming UA?
    2. The ticket states "AC ONLY/NONREF/0CANCEL". How can UA book a ticket that's endorsed as "AC ONLY"?
    3. How can an AC ONLY ticket include SQ and UA coded/operated flights in it?

Sordid details...the fare on Google was showing as $4,600 which is $2,300 less than anything United.com would give me and about $500 less than anything AirCanada.com would give me (note: to even get that fare with AC you have to book two separate tickets because AC can't price SEA-YVR in coach when selecting a business fare). When the agent plugged in the flights I gave her the price was a bit higher. I then asked her to try a non-stop SQ flight HKG-SIN which gives me a much earlier arrival time in SIN. She was amazed that it priced out $650 less than my Google fare. So I said book it! Now it's booked and now I'm just covering all my bases in case something should go wrong with a two-stop, multi-carrier itinerary each direction.

Thanks in advance,
    Rob

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Technically UA should be able to book anything operated by *A partners. As a matter of practice UA generally only books itineraries with a UA-coded segment in them.

Beyond that, in advance of travel the issuing carrier is responsible for making you whole. On the day of travel the delivering carrier has that responsibility.

Garp74 and TravelerRob like this.
  3. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    United phone reservations agents told me they can book actual Lufthansa flights without a codeshare. This is the best method to make a booking for using GPUs on LH flights as the flights must be Lufthansa flights in order to apply the GPUs.

4. JC1120

JC1120 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They can convert the UA codeshare flight to an LH flight number after booking as well, so the main thing is to make sure these are booked in the right fare class.

TravelerRob likes this.
  5. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct Q fare and Higher for Y to C. I originally booked a UA LH codeshare and then called in to have the flights converted to LH flight numbers and apply the GPUs. It is nice to fly LH and experience a long international flight leaving in the evening from the US.