UA - The single most awful experience with a FT in flight.

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by ryeguy, May 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. ryeguy

ryeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Am I just being too sensitive?

It is important to me that I make a conscious effort to treat all flight crew - from ground agents to flight attendants to the poor guys in lost baggage - in the most courteous of fashion, always. I have several friends who are airline employees and I know that some of the pax they deal with on a daily basis can be more than a little unpleasant. I highly respect the people who are in place, the jobs they do and always appreciate the service I get when traveling.

I am a United flyer. My status is UA Gold, as such I was 'lucky' to clear an upgrade recently on a flight from YVR-SFO. The same flight that I take every 3 weeks, like clockwork.

All was fine. I sat in seat 2D. Fine at least until the FA serving first decided to raise her voice to me for trying to chose a third item from the refreshment basket. I had taken a Halloween sized Toblerone and a pack of the yummy shortbread cookies. Then I turned into a real pig and set my sights on a banana! BAD IDEA. BAD, BAD, BAD. The FA raised her voice CONSIDERABLY repeating the word NO! four, five or six times in rapid succession as she violently yanked the basket away from me forcing her to drop her napkins all through the aisle. Then she raised her voice louder and scolded me like a five year old child - while the entire cabin watched - saying something (loudly) about 'if everybody started taking 3 or 4 items then...' I do fluster easily and my face had turned bright red from the embarrassment of being scolded like a schoolchild in front of a 12 pax cabin. Of which only 4 were remaining to be served from a basically full basket... Insane.

My seat mate in 2F was *horrified* by what she saw. She was as stunned by the FAs behavior as I was. Her comment to me was along the lines of, that if she herself were this business that employee would have been dismissed on the spot.

I agreed with her, but also said that the FA must have been having a bad day or something and left my comments at that.

On the FAs second go around with her full basket she glared at me with the surliest of expressions as I politely declined any more refreshments. I already felt that she saw me as a glutton for taking two snack sized items.

So again I take this route every 3 weeks and have never had a FA bat an eye about my refreshment basket selections. For Pete's sake, why would anybody?

Obviously I need to get over this and quit thinking about it. It's the embarrassment factor that pushes my buttons a week later. I honestly feel that this woman as abusive to her pax (me) and quite frankly I would have no problems knowing that retaining or disciplinary action would be taken. Nobody deserves to be treated in that fashion.

So what do you think? Should I grow up and let dying dogs lay? Is there even any point in complaining?is there even any process for registering a complaint?

Flyer1976, gregm, MX and 1 other person like this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you don't send in a note regarding her behavior how will anyone know? Not that I hold out much hope that UA will do anything, but if they don't know then it is sure they won't do anything!

3. MX

MX Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry you had such an unpleasant experience. I think the FA definitely reacted inappropriately, and you attributed way too much importance to the event than it deserved. I can't analyze the event, since I wasn't there. But you should feel free to explore what possible buttons were pushed before and during that exchange. Logically this event should be of no lasting inconvenience to you. So if you can figure out why it bothered you so much more than similar stresses of life, you won't be easily embarrassed again.

Forget about complaining though -- it will just wind you up more. You'll be much happier returning to more pleasant activities.

gregm, ryeguy, WilliamQ and 1 other person like this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes. Doesn't mean the FA was correct in their behavior, but if this is enough to get you so riled up then you're probably taking it too seriously.

Flyer1976, ryeguy, LETTERBOY and 2 others like this.
  5. FetePerfection
    Original Member

FetePerfection Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think it's human nature to replay the incident over and over again in our heads, which is why it's hard to let it go. I don't think you deserved to be treated that way but I probably wouldn't complain. And I certainly don't think you were out of line but it's easy to second guess ourselves. IMO try to let it go...she was out of line and hopefully she's beating herself up for not acting professionally. Perhaps her colleagues have already said something to her, if they over heard it. If you end up running into this FA again, take the high road. Chances are she will not remember you but if she does, she's the one to be uncomfortable.

Mapsmith, gregm and ryeguy like this.
  6. Flyer
    Original Member

Flyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you should complain. There are plenty of FAs eager to take her seniority position.

7. ryeguy

ryeguy Silver Member

Status Points:
    It really must of been just a bad day on her side. But it was uncomfortable enough to carry around for too long... Oh well now that it's off my chest I'm over it. Thanks

Mapsmith, gregm, brfong and 2 others like this.
  8. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    I say don't sweat the small stuff. I used to let every little thing bother me until I realized it took too much time and energy to be bothered. Being bothered about something for 4 flights a week would kill me. If I were your seat mate, my sarcastic side would have made me pull out my briefcase and dump the basket, smiling, and giving her a big "Thank you!" I'm not aware of any portioning limits and IME with DL, they always have refills for everything in the basket.

Mapsmith, MX and LETTERBOY like this.
  9. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    ryeguy,

I might have told the F/A to relax. Funny aside. On my Delta flight in first JFK/LAS (it was my first flight with them since the Song days), the F/A offered the snack basket to me. His comment after I took 2 things >>> that's all. :D

dh

10. WilliamQ

WilliamQ Gold Member

Status Points:
    Was it phrased as a question or as a statement i.e. "That's all?" or "That's all (it)."
    If it was a question, then my experience with DL front cabin matches yours.
    By way of their body language, the FA absolutely encourages one to take more from the basket and they have all sorts of helpful advice to go along e.g. when a passenger hesitate in deciding what to take between two choices, most of the time, I will hear " why not try both"...
    :)

Flyer1976, Mapsmith and gregm like this.
  11. gregm

gregm Gold Member

Status Points:
    If it was a statement, and not a question, I might have asked, sarcastically, "is there a limit?" On DL, I have never encountered the same experience as the OP. Not to say all UA is lacking, but I'm sure it was an isolated incident. Those birds with any livery are stocked with plenty extra snacks. Those basket contents are cheap and plentiful.

WilliamQ and Mapsmith like this.
  12. flyforawg

flyforawg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Report it. If it was a one off bad day, then it won't hurt. If it is something that is repeated often, then hopefully, others have reported as well and a patter will be established for corrective action.

Just be sure to relay the story objectively and without embellishment as this can have an impact on a person's livelihood.

Perfect example of how a $.50 item can tarnish a brand. They could lose your business or others in the cabin. If I saw that, I'd be concerned about being subjected to such treatment myself.