UA sues untied.com

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Gargoyle, Nov 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    United Continental Holdings has sued a Canadian professor who maintains the 15-year-old complaint website Untied.com, which airs complaints from disgruntled United Airlines passengers and employees.

United says it isn't trying to shut down the site, but just to protect its intellectual property. They think their customers could be confused and not realize that untied.com is not an official UA site.

This despite the fact that to view the site you have to click a popup that states "
    This is not the website of United Airlines.
    This site exists only because of the airline's outright hostility toward its passengers and many of its employees."

icurhere2, sobore, Jett Rink and 3 others like this.
  2. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, they styled their website to look remarkably similar to united.com. They brought this suit upon themselves.

3. jasher926

jasher926 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, United probably doesn't have much of a suit here considering it's pretty clear this website doesn't have the capability to book reservations so people wouldn't get confused. I think United's just being a little spiteful and wants to make this guy feel some pain by forcing him to burn through cash defending himself.

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I disagree that UA has no claim. The use of the logos and layout is likely sufficient to meet the threshhold to have it shut down.

Jett Rink, LETTERBOY and genemk2 like this.
  5. MegaDont

MegaDont Silver Member

Status Points:
    Via Untied.com: "United.com shall remain a voice of criticism against United, document abuse of passengers and employees, and provide them with a resource for fighting for their rights."

United Airline's case in point.

Black Cloud and LETTERBOY like this.
  6. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Providing a venue for criticism is not the problem. The wholesale lifting of the site design, including logos protected by trademark, servicemark or copyright laws is the problem.

davef139, desamo, unavaca and 3 others like this.
  7. MegaDont

MegaDont Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was just pointing out the misspelling of their own website, which I'm sure is one of United's main complaints the other way around. I found it pretty amusing that they made United's case for them.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  8. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    The website is asking for donations to help fund their defence against UA.
    Given the number of unhappy clients of UA, it may well get the funds needed for their trip to court.

FriendlySkies likes this.
  9. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just curious - why would anyone throw good money after something like this?

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    People are stupid.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    SNL regularly "lifts" the design, logo etc. of other TV shows and makes fun of them.

That said, if untied.com was my site, I wouldn't have chosen to copy United's design. It doesn't really add much value to the site and is unnecessary work.

12. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    After Air Canada successfully got Errorplan shut down, I fully expect the Canadian courts to side with United Airlines here.

13. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    They have the Internet in Canada?!?

secretsea18, Flyer1976, PanAm and 6 others like this.
  14. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    FYI....Air Canada did not shut down Errorplan.

15. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    perhaps some are now bitter with UA and besides voting with their wallet by not flying UA, would like to see nothing go well (or easy) for UA.

milchap likes this.
  16. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    Air Canada and Aeroplan are separate companies.

17. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
  18. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Parody is generally one of the covered types of use under copyright law's fair use clause. But there is a difference between a one-off making fun of something and a long-term use in a manner which could be confusing to the customer.

LETTERBOY and Flyer1976 like this.
  19. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Parody and satire is protected free speech, especially against a company. This is a frivolous lawsuit....UA should have just bought the URL from them rather than fight it.

milchap likes this.
  20. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    There is nothing confusing about the site. I doubt anyone is trying to buy tickets from it.

milchap likes this.
  21. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I would agree with the owner of untied.com, cited in the article as calling this a SLAPP suits. (strategic lawsuit against public participation). It's intended to cost him a lot of money as a way to punish him and force him to back down. Even if he wins he will have spent a lot in legal fees.

The site is clearly parody and satire, and protected by free speech, but UA seems more interested in stifling complaints than in solving their problems. They didn't learn from the broken guitars case.

milchap likes this.
  22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Expain that to the people posting PNRs, ticket numbers and other details on the site and trying to get customer service. By making the site visually similar to the actual site the "satire/parody" idea is in pllay but I'm not so conviced that there is no confusion.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  23. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    The whole point of satire is to be visually similar. And all the warnings and pop ups they have make it clear it isn't the airline site. The point of the suit isn't to collect lost revenue from confused passengers, it's to squash freedom of expression from someone with an axe to grind about their service.

What a PR disaster...now it really looks like UA doesn't care about correcting customer service issues. Again, they should have used a third party to acquire the site. Or reserved common misspellings (or anti-UrLs) as part of their domain name strategy like any other major company.

24. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And at some point that is no longer protected. There is no cut-and-dry answer on what is and is not fair use in the copyright world. I think that UA has a reasonable claim here. We'll all find out eventually when the case is heard and ruled on.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  25. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The fact that some people are that clueless, after the popup intro message and other disclaimers on the site, should not be relevant. In my estimation, this is cut-and-dried. UA is trying to quash dissent and punish the site operator. That jibes with my entire sense of UA's management policy.