UA = sky kit: CO = ?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by thegrailer, Nov 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Typically when something goes wrong on a UA flight - eg, no sound, no special meal, mechanical, etc - I can can that little "please accept our apology" card and collect my voucher. What does CO do? Is there a CO "appreciation" webpage to go to?

Sounding a lot like a noob here but how does CO handle this, if at all.

Thanks -

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  2. DeacFlyer1
    Original Member

DeacFlyer1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've only flown CO a handful of times in my life so I don't know the specific answer, but I have to imagine it's not as generous or widespread as UA's "Oh, you feel entitled to compensation because the person next to you sneezed on you? Here's $100!" policy.

3. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    But It has to be something - right? [knowing full well that is doesn't have to be anything]

4. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you experience something that goes wrong on related to a CO flight, you're expected to reach out (nothing proactive like SkyKits). The response provided is generally on the "conservative" end of the spectrum compared to what UA offers, and the responses are often very slow and inconsistent. Customer service after errors/issues is definitely not one of CO's stronger suits, but I like the fact that they research and (usually) personally respond to issues better than UA's just throw stuff at you to go away policy, which doesn't address the issues.

I had a FA accidentally spill coffee on me the other day on a CO flight. She was very apologetic and, understanding it was a complete accident, I told her not to worry. I didn't contact CO and left it at that. Had this been on UA I would have probably received a $100 e-cert, which would have been nice. But, in my mind, completely unnecessary.

sdm1130 likes this.
  5. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Interesting - thanks for the info. So no audio/video in int'l business for the entire ~ 6 hour flight = ???. UA would be a $250 voucher. And this is actually the 2nd time in a row that I've flown this route up front with no audio/video. First time, the A/C didn't have the av installed yet. This last time, it just didn't work.

6. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably $100, but that's not a hard and fast number.

A couple data points:
    • On a [paid] BF flight from EWR - FRA on a 762 I had one ear en Espanol and one ear in English on the headsets. I was offered $100 and an apology, which I was fine with.
    • On a transcon in whY my DirecTV locked-up and was unusable. They refunded me the $6 I paid for it and offered me $50 e-cert, again, which I was fine with.

7. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    As the poster above you said - it's a crap shoot. There's no hard & fast rules on CO when it comes to compensation (miles, vouchers, otherwise). All you can do is email CO, wait a long time and then they'll reply with a more personalized email than UA and either a voucher or miles. CO tends to go the mileage route more often than the voucher route.

Let us know what you find after you email them. And again, expect to wait 7-10 days to hear back.

-RM

8. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks all -
    And as a side note, the FAs on my CO flights have been great. I do hope that is not an anomaly

Cheers

9. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd like to know the answer to this as well. I had an int'l biz 15 hr flight to DEL last month. Redeye of course. Right after take off I tried to turn on my reading light. No dice....so I told the FA, she tried.. then -you won't be believe this, but she realized the whole plane lost their seat lighting. They tried rebooting, and ended up making an announcement to this effect "we hope you all plan to sleep because we don't have any overhead seat lighting". I was in 4a, she proudly reminded me I had a reading light in the back of my seat....that didn't work either. FC was full so no change of seats. I slept for a total of 4 hrs on that flight, and had nothing to read by- I actually tried reading by the light of my phone screen. I had a lot of work to do and other than work on my laptop, I was unable to do any of the paperwork because of the darkened cabin (keeping it dark so others could sleep which is reasonable of course). I asked a couple of times for a 'comment card' and they said 'oh we don't have those, go to the website and send a comment'.
    (On top of this the food was awful. Barely warm and ugly to look at-actually the food was even worse on the return flight.)

I emailed regarding the lighting issue and it's been over two weeks and have heard nothing. Their lack of caring is ridiculous.

Scottrick and hulagrrl210 like this.
  10. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My husband got a 10% off certificate from Continental once for being delayed 2-3 hours EWR-DEL. They handed them out on the flight along with a drink coupon.

k2o likes this.
  11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's the usual standard if the CO Agents are proactive at the delayed station...

HeathrowGuy and hulagrrl210 like this.
  12. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like UA's Here's $100/200/250! policy :)

k2o likes this.
  13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    By the time Smisek is done with us... it'll be $25/50/75....

14. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yikes!
    Given the magnitude of the lighting problem I was hoping the FA's would pass out something to each pac. But no...they don't even answer an email. Maybe I'll end up writing to Jeff-for whatever that would accomplish.

15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Jeff does check his e-mails from time to time so write him a letter if you want.

16. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    Guess it really is a crapshoot as the replies I get from UA (with or without compensation) are most always more personalized & evidence that someone actually read my email.

The last reply CO sent me didn't even address me by name!

fwiw, the only time CO sent me an Ecert ($125) was after I sent in a follow up email asking why they never replied to the first (broken IFE on BF flt) and alerting them that the CO "We (don't) Care" Dept doesn't answer the phone during stated business hours.

17. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    Compensation aside, SkyKits are a tool that UA used to track issues and (ideally) resolve issues or repair broken seats/IFEs.

On CO, aside from watching the FA shrug & say there's nothing they can do, when a similar issue is reported, what does CO do to ensure the problem is addressed?

18. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'll contact again and report back.

19. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Have you seen any evidence of this? I guess I just find it hard to believe given the sheer volume that got distributed that they actually were used to solve problems other than passenger whining.

20. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ouch! I hope I never have to feel your pain on a flight like that :(

21. bk3day
    Original Member

bk3day Gold Member

Status Points:
    Other than email exchanges over the years wherein UA CS repeated this mantra...no.

That's why I said "ideally". I wouldn't even begin to presume what UA really does on the backside. That said, in theory, it's still a plan.

Seriously I am still curious what CO does, other than disuade us from reporting issues as IMO CO's system of delayed replies & minimal compensation is akin to adding insult to injury?

22. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    And us frequent fliers are partly to blame for that.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  23. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    The redemption survey such as what's wrong was explicitly confirmed as just for tracking issue categorization. Now how much impact that made anywhere (and how easy to get this data via alternate means) is of course a different question.

24. unavaca
    Original Member

unavaca Gold Member

Status Points:
    "Sit down and we won't call an air marshal."

bk3day likes this.
  25. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I have just been lucky, but I have been extremely impressed with CO's response to my emails. The level of accurate personalization to my (rare) complaints has been the best I have seen in recent times. They even sent me an e-cert one time for just writing a suggestion about how they might better handle a specific problem.

Two weeks for personalized replies is really not long. Canned messages would arrive a lot faster, but that's precisely why I no longer fly AA and moved 100% of my business to CO. Add in that they are in the midst of a merger, and I think 30 days or more is a reasonable expectation for a non-urgent reply. Just my opinion, but I do think you'll be pleased in the long run.

Flyer1976 likes this.