UA SFO to FRA/LHR...best reasonable routing for maximum miles?

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by chontzy, May 9, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. chontzy

chontzy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Last year I was a corporate cog although with the perk of flying international business every month. This year I'm a boostrapping freelancer that hasn't flown in the first third of the year. Man I miss flying!

I have a meeting in the Middle East (JED) and I can make my own reservations. Since my travel so greatly reduced, I want to maximize my upcoming trip by getting as many miles as possible within reason (max. 3 segments) to either FRA or LHR. Possibly SFO-LAX-IAD-FRA? A quick comparison of miles yields an extra 1k for adding LAX and IAD (6,600 miles with additional segments v. 5,600 for non-stop).

Any recommendations by fellow MP'ers? Go west through Asia? Thanks!

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    If Asia isn't more expensive for your client, why not check the mileages, although you might not want to submit something for reimbursement that looks too crazy and/or cannot be explained easily such as having a convenient schedule or good connections? Can you use LH or other *A instead of UA? (However, if you do this, check fare classes and mileage earnings very carefully.) LAX-NRT-SIN-(DXB?)-JED could be interesting. If your client is paying for business class, note that some *A deep discount business class fares earn zero in some FF programs.

chontzy likes this.
  3. chontzy

chontzy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks MSPe, I quoted an estimate based on coach, basically I don't want to exceed $2k. I would prefer UA or LH and hope for upgrades with SWU/certificate.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Careful....be sure to book an upgradeable fare and be prepared for the copay. The very cheapest coach fares usually are not eligible for upgrades while the cheapest upgradeable fare can cost an additional copay of $500 or more in each direction for an upgrade on UA with a SWU or UA miles.

5. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    SFO-LAX-IAD-FRA is 6,868 PQM (500 min)
    SFO-IAH-ORD-FRA is 6,903
    SFO-IAH-EWR-FRA is 6,904
    SFO-IAH-IAD-FRA is 6,905
    SFO-LAX-NRT-FRA is 11,787, but I'm seeing incredibly expensive fares on that one.
    Cheapest I found is $1900 (mid July, the only month I looked), SFO-LAX-IAD-FRA-EWR-LAX-SFO, on a W fare, which is SWU eligible.