UA: SFO-MCI, r/t, $228.80 ai, 3.54 cpm, courtesy of Frequently Flying

Discussion in 'Mileage Runs/Travel Hacking' started by TravelByPoints, Mar 7, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelByPoints

TravelByPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    bonnerbl likes this.
  2. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm in. Thanks for posting. $228.80. Now for a good hotel suggesion?

Tue., May. 8, 2012 | San Francisco, CA (SFO) to Kansas City, MO (MCI)
    Depart:6:05 a.m. Tue., May. 8, 2012 San Francisco, CA (SFO) Arrive: 7:27 a.m. Tue., May. 8, 2012 Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
    Flight Time: 1 hr 22 mn Award Miles/ Premier Qualifying*: 338 /100% Flight: UA261
    Aircraft: Boeing 757-200 Fare Class: United Economy (G)

Depart: 10:21 a.m. Tue., May. 8, 2012 Los Angeles, CA (LAX) Arrive: 5:39 p.m. Tue., May. 8, 2012 Cleveland, OH (CLE)
    Flight Time: 4 hr 18 mn Award Miles/ Premier Qualifying*: 2,045 /100% Total Award Miles:2,383 Flight: UA463 Aircraft: Boeing 757-200 Fare Class: United Economy (G)

Depart: 6:39 p.m. Tu e., May. 8, 2012 Cleveland, OH (CLE) Arrive: 7:43 p.m. Tue., May. 8, 2012 Kansas City, MO (MCI)
    Flight Time: 2 hr 4 mn Travel Time: 11 hr 38 mn Award Miles/ Premier Qualifying*: 690 /100% Total Award Miles:3,073 Flight: UA4587 Operated by ExpressJet Airlines Inc. dba United Express. Aircraft: Embraer RJ145 Fare Class: United Economy (G)

Wed., May. 9, 2012 | Kansas City, MO (MCI) to San Francisco, CA (SFO)
    Depart: 7:00 a.m. Wed., May. 9, 2012 Kansas City, MO (MCI) Arrive: 9:54 a.m. Wed., May. 9, 2012 Cleveland, OH (CLE)
    Flight Time: 1 hr 54 mn Award Miles/ Premier Qualifying*: 690 /100% Flight: UA4436 Operated by ExpressJet Airlines Inc. dba United Express. Aircraft: Embraer RJ145 Fare Class: United Economy (G) .

Depart: 12:13 p.m. Wed., May. 9, 2012 Cleveland, OH (CLE) Arrive: 2:23 p.m. Wed., May. 9, 2012 Los Angeles, CA (LAX)
    Flight Time: 5 hr 10 mn Award Miles/ Premier Qualifying*: 2,045 /100% Total Award Miles:2,735 Flight: UA280 Aircraft: Airbus A320 Fare Class: United Economy (G)

Depart: 4:15 p.m. Wed., May. 9, 2012 Los Angeles, CA (LAX) Arrive: 5:31 p.m. Wed., May. 9, 2012 San Francisco, CA (SFO)
    Flight Time:
    1 hr 16 mn Travel Time: 12 hr 31 mn Award Miles/ Premier Qualifying*: 338 /100% Total Award Miles:3,073 Flight: UA460 Aircraft: Boeing 757-200 Fare Class: United Economy (G)

MileagePlus Members: Upon completion of this itinerary, you will earn up to 6,146 award miles.*

KOA likes this.
  3. TravelByPoints

Status Points:
    Most major chains (Wyndham, Choice, IHG, Hyatt, SPG) have hotels near the airport. Don't know what your preferred chain is. If you want to minimize cost and don't care about earning hotel credits, you can always go with Travelocity Top Secrets Hotels or Hotwire or Priceline. Otherwise, if there is a program promo announced for May, you can try to turn this into a mattress run at the Hyatt Place MCI or Four Points MCI. Good luck!

KOA likes this.
  4. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It ain't over 'till its over! Thought I had been a little complacent about the all the changes and better check my reservations for this MR. Sure enough my itinerary showed a "schedule change" such that on the return I was arriving back in CLE long after my flight from CLE-LAX left. Oops! Promptly called 1K line and got thru in 5 mins. Then the fun began. Turns out UA canceled one of their three flights CLE-LAX. Now there was one very early in the morning which I couldn't make and one very late in the day - about a 7 hour wait in the CLE terminal. And though I had used a regional upgrade (or whatever they are now) first class was no longer available. Reluctantly I said ok trying to at least preserve the MR mileage. The agent worked and worked to make that change and was having problems-- on hold three times while she worked at it/consulted others. Came back on the line and said now we have a second problem your outbound from SFO-LAX arrives too late to make the LAX-CLE connection. What I asked? She said that when she tried to confirm the new itin the system said there was an error on the outbound. That LAX-CLE flight didn't exist anymore. Now totally frustrated I ask her to cancel the whole d... thing and to make sure mr regionals are redeposited - she puts me on hold. Now I happen to be looking at the UA site while all this is going on so I pop over to the flight schedule and see the flight still shows up.:confused: Now I am really antsy because the agent has me on hold canceling the whole mess and I want to stop her because the system I'm looking at still shows the flight. I quickly go the booking page, call it up as a one-way, and try to book it to see if it goes thru. I get an internal something or other UA error. "Please call .....". :oops: By this time she comes back on and cheerfully tells me it is all canceled, refunded and regionals redeposited. Hmm.. I use the back button and try to search for it again. The LAX-CLE flight is gone. It would seem that the system had canceled the CLE-LAX flight earlier and I called right in the middle of it canceling the LAX-CLE flight as well (fyi there are now only 2 LAX/CLE nonstops a day now.) No explanation of why the system wouldn't know it was reassigning me to flights that weren't in the realm of possible connections.

Sometimes I guess a MR isn't meant to be. Lessons learned: 1) ALWAYS recheck your outstanding itineraries on a frequent/regular basis. You cannot rely on UA notifying you of a change, 2) there isn't any such thing as a "simple" schedule change especially when UA blithely puts you a flight that leaves before you arrive, and upgrades guarantees are fleeting. Hope the madness settles down soon!

KOA and goalie like this.
  5. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bolding mine: Exactly right and you would figure that a simple thing like "schedule change" that PMUA used to show would be available as an option under COdbaUA since they use a "far more advance system :rolleyes:

KOA likes this.
  6. TravelByPoints

Status Points:
    Wow, bonnerbl, so sorry to hear all the trouble! I guess I had extremely good luck with schedule changes with my MRs (or mini-weekend vacations intended at time of booking) booked last year for early this year with CO. I am based in LAS - a lot of the itineraries had me fly from LAS to CLE or EWR before a regional jet connection. The itineraries of course went through several rounds of schedule changes. I would call the CO elite desk every time this happened, and most of the agents would just let me pick whatever new routing I wanted. So, I had always been able to re-route to SFO, and then SFO to IAD or EWR, before the regional connection, thus maximizing my total EQMs. Technically, it would take 10 trips to re-qualify for gold, but because of the schedule changes, I was able to nail Gold with only 7 trips. Not sure how the PMUA is. Have not had to deal with them yet since March 3. I did, however, research all the flight segments (sometimes had to build my own connections, as they were not showing up on the website), before I called the elite desk.

KOA likes this.
  7. KOA

KOA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi, newbid here. Few days ago booked UA run on April 25, #1170 LAX/CLE,#1687 CLE/FLL; 4/26 #1280 FLL/ORD, #411 ORD/Lax 6,041 MEQs for $341.20. Looks good for upgrades, too. Hilton FLL at 95/night as Diamond. I am not sure if all you experts will agree. Please give feedback on how to do better next time. Thank you in advance. :)

8. TravelByPoints

Status Points:
    Hi KOA, I am in no way an expert, as I just started getting into these MRs last year. What class did your ticket book into? Usually the lowest price books into G bucket on UA. Your trip costs about 5.6 cents/EQM, without figuring in your hotel cost. This is on the expensive side. Normally, good/pure MRs do not involve hotel stays, and usually come at a cost of 3 cents/EQM or lower. That being said, I don't have time to do Tuesday/Wednesday runs, so I usually try to turn them into mini weekend getaways (red-eye out on Friday night, and back on Sunday night). It is all personal preference. For more mileage run opportunities, check out the flyertalk MR forum, too. Also, check out FareCompare's map from your city, LAX. It can give you ideas of where to go. Good luck, and safe travels!

KOA likes this.
  9. KOA

KOA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi TBP, Thanks for all the good info. Wow! I am so green at this. My flights are on United. Sorry, to use wrong acronyms. Why am I paying twice as much? :oops: Will checkout sites recommended.:)

10. KOA

KOA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hi TBP, Thanks for all the good info. Wow, I am so green at this. My fights are on United. Sorry for using wrong acronym. Why am I paying twice as much? :oops: Will visit sites recommended. :)

TravelByPoints likes this.
  11. TravelByPoints

Status Points:
    KOA, $0.03/EQM is hard to come by nowadays, given how much oil has gone up! But, $0.04 should still be attainable. We just need some luck spotting the deal and having the time to take advantage when it happens. All the best!