UA sending out Buy Up status offers

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Canadi>n, Jan 17, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just received the offer to buy up from Gold>Platinum despite actually qualifying for Platinum, so should have gotten the 1K offer. $649 for every 2K PQMs seems to be this year's going rate.

2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not sure how they have derived the formula, but for me (1K), its

1000 PQM - $1
    2000 PQM - $999
    3000 PQM - $1399
    4000 PQM - $1699
    5000 PQM - $1949
    6000 PQM - $2199
    7000 PQM - $2449
    8000 PQM - $2699
    9000 PQM - $2949
    10000 PQM - $3149

(or +$250 per 1000PQM above 4K)
    <also option to buy PQS at rate of 1000PQM=1PQS>

IDGflygirl and hulagrrl210 like this.
  3. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The max is 15k for $4149 (plat --> 1k). Crappy deal.

canucklehead, mht_flyer and 8MiHi like this.
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    2649 For 15k Gold to Platinum.

hulagrrl210 and 8MiHi like this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Nearly $1850 for 9k to go from silver to gold. I said no on behalf of my wife.

hulagrrl210 and mht_flyer like this.
  6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    If it came with the RPUs, it could be worth about half of that.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  7. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did spend about $1200 (including hotel and parking) on MRs of >12K miles to get me to Platinum. That got me the higher status, the RPUs (2 upgrades EWR-HNL!) and 20K RDMs. If one of those didn't include my SO to San Francisco for a weekend (OK, add another $$400 to bring her) we might not have done it. She's happy for the weekend and as a million-miler she gets platinum, too (but no RPUs). $2649 would have been too much for me, but I do not know what your travel plans are. Platinum hasn't gotten me into the pointy end of the plane in 3 flights so far.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was my experience as well during the period between the merger when I was Platinum and the time I made 1K. Even as 1K, there are many routes where an upgrade is unlikely to impossible on a discounted fare. I often paid for a Z fare last year when I needed to arrive reasonably rested. My New Year's resolution is to take the upgrades I can get with CPUs, apply the RPUs and GPUs when possible/necessary/unlikely to clear CPU, and just ride in E+ when I must.

A tip for my fellow MPers who find E & E+ as uncomfortable as I do: Brookstone sells a wonderful Tempur-Pedic cushion for $89 that makes flying coach and RJs a LOT more comfortable. I bought one when I had a trip scheduled for this month that included 3 RJs with no F cabin. It was amazing. http://www.brookstone.com/TEMPUR-PE...iid=SearchResults|CategoryProductList|691915p

Unfortunately, I forgot it on the last of those 3 flights. I was the last one off the plane, as I was sleeping like a baby. Realizing upon arrival at the UC that I had left it on the plane, I had an agent call the gate. The cleaning crew claimed they didn't find it, and the flight was gone. They would not phone ahead to ask the crew at its next destination to check for it. That was a little more than disappointing.

This is the only offer I have seen that might tempt me. It would depend on my travel plans for 2013. If I were going to fly the same amount, then no way. If I planned to fly more, then it would be worth it in extra baggage allowances to me. I almost always check the 3 bag limit that Golds+ are allowed, and most of my flights are between the USA and Latin America. As a silver, one bag of 50 lbs. for free then extra charges for the two extra bags + $200 for each bag over 50 lbs. and not over 70 lbs. can add up in a hurry. YMMV.

hulagrrl210, 8MiHi and desamo like this.
  9. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been very surprised by the number of upper Premier members on every flight. As a Platinum on PMCO I was at the top of the pyramid (not many Pres Plats) and had stretches of upgrades on all but the transcons (even then sometimes). As a Gold I still had about a 50% shot. Since the merger, I usually find myself on page 2 of the upgrade list (it was exciting to get into the teens on a LAS-EWR flight last week).
    PMUA must have had a massively bigger group (by number and percentage) of top status FFs over PMCO since almost every flight I have taken since the merger has had substantial upgrade lists and significant lines for BG 1.
    Its also possible that the combined entity dropped enough flights and seats to make it tougher, regardless. So paying up for Platinum really only gets the RPUs, 25% extra bonus RDMs and some useful, but modest perks.