UA Segment Run Advice needed

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Lufthansa Flyer, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi All,

I have 24 segments booked between now and april and am thinking what the hell, lets try to run out to 60 for PE this yr. Can any one suggest based on experience what are favorable UA routes that historically offer better than avg fares? I've noticed that GRR-BWI is among there lowest, but only 4 segments. West Coast has shown some opportunities as well. I would love to have 5-6 segment itineraries. Flying from GRR so almost everything would go through ORD, with some potential to fly the nonstop to denver, but I'm sure ORD will give better opportunities. Recently booked a 5 segment GRR-ORD-SFO-RNO-DEN-GRR for $240, so hoping to recreate that kind of segment/pricing at least 5 or 6 times.

Thanks!

2. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just flew MKE-ORD-PIT-IAD-JFK. Same $64 base as MKE-ORD-LGA. Also works same way for MKE-PHL. Use itasoftware.com

3. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:
    $64???? Wow.

I do use ITA. Its tough to get GRR as a starting point at a good price. I've noticed Milwaukee has great fares. Is it because of Frontier? GRR has historically been an above avg cost airport to depart from. Thanks for the idea though. I'll try to build MKE into an itinerary and see how I make out.

al613 likes this.
  4. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    One area I've noticed great for easy segment maximizing is a flight in South Florida. This is one of the few areas that I have seen united.bomb to offer many 4 segment trips each way from RDU. Continental has a strong prop fleet serving many cities down there, and I've seen routes like RDU-IAD-MCO-TPA-XXX for the same price as more direct flights.

al613 likes this.
  5. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Its because of Airtran and Frontier competition. But often you can built it even from ORD to East Coast. It helps to know, for example, that prices from MKE and ORD are often the same to LGA and JFK, but there no direct flight to JFK. So, you can often get 1-2 extra segments right there. The most direct route MKE-JFK is MKE-ORD-IAD-JFK. Often you can add PIT or IND in it. Good luck!

6. k2o
    Original Member

k2o Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good to know there are more good runs out of grr- I have the same problem with TVC being pricy and have had to drive to GRR (2 1/2 hrs) on occasion to catch a better fair (last month I had a $70 to GRR/ORD/LAX/TUS and a GRR/DEN/TUS).

7. jondav
    Original Member

jondav Gold Member

Status Points:
    This past fall I did 8 MKE-ORD-XXX-IAD-PIT-IAD-XXX-ORD-MKE trips. 8 segments for about $140 ai for each trip. XXX varied between DAY, DTW, EWR and RDU.

5 of the 8 trips had some sort of delay or cancellation which usually shortened the trip. A quick call to the 1K line after the trip and I was credited with all segments on my original itinerary. Better yet was earning 1.5 EQS when rebooked for MX delays. I also picked up a few VDB's and service packs along the way.

Gargoyle and al613 like this.
  8. al613
    Original Member

al613 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Seems the way to go.

9. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Status Points:

They're far and few between, but I'll let you know if I find something

10. k2o