UA rounds down PQM at 1.5x

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by TravelerRob, Mar 25, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've started flying a lot of business class fares and with the 1.5x (and 1.25x on some *A partners), UA always rounds down. I had never noticed this before. But with flying lots of PQM bonus-eligible segments and being slightly AR I have noticed about 15 missing PQM. I figured out it's because UA rounds down.

I keep a tracking spreadsheet (as I'm sure many frequent flyers do) and noticed the discrepancy. It's all fixed now. A simple ROUNDDOWN(A1*B1,0) in Excel fixed that right up :)

PS - said spreadsheet also keeps track of what I would have earned in terms of RDM under the old and new plans. With my travel through April 18th booked I am coming out ahead about 19K RDM. Just waiting for UA to jack up redemption levels through the roof in 2016 as they will claim too many people are earning the cap of 75K RDM on tickets.

-Rob

8MiHi, trobb49, Flyer1976 and 2 others like this.
  2. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    can you give us a couple of concrete examples?

3. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Sure. Any flight that is an odd number of miles flown will cause this.

IAD-SFO is 2,419 miles. At 1.5x you are credited 3,628 PQM. Excel and all other apps tend to round up so my spreadsheet calculated at 3,629.
    ORD-MIA is 1,197 miles. At 1.5x you are credited 1,795 PQM.
    DXB-IAD is 7,069 miles. At 1.5x you are credited 10,603 PQM.

These all add up to missing PQM. 10-15 PQM will not matter when you are going to hit 1K in the first few months of the year anyway. I just find it odd that they round down and not up which is standard procedure when your decimal is 5 or higher (e.g. 0.5 or higher).

-Rob

8MiHi and WilliamQ like this.
  4. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, the 2Billion in savings has to come from somewhere.

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I thought they rounded down so these miles went to the Golden Parachute funds? :p

TravelerRob, Zomby Woof and snod08 like this.
  6. snod08
    Original Member

snod08 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We have a winner here!

7. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was taught that the correct rounding rule when it's exactly ZYX.50000000000000000000000 is to round down when X is even and round up when X is odd so that the result is an even number: ZYX when X is even and ZYX+1 when X is odd.

8. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Now that's a new one! MSP - haven't heard from you in a while. We went to different schools at different times so many things changed. I was always taught that if it's .5 or higher you round up. You can put as many zeroes after the five as you want or you can have an even or an odd number in front of the decimal point and you still round up.

Thanks,
    Rob

Counsellor likes this.
  9. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Same rule I was taught. Since N.00000 stays at N, that rule results in 50 decimals going up one (.50 to .99) and 50 decimals staying the same (.00 to .49)

TravelerRob likes this.
  10. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have noticed this for years. I always thought that it was really stupid of them. The tiny little gain they get is far less than the PR damage they do to those of us who notice. This is particularly true when you consider the fact that it's only those paying higher fare classes who are affected.

A pleasant surprise resulting from my switch to AA was that they round up every odd mileage flight that earns more than 1 x 1.

TravelerRob and MSPeconomist like this.
  11. Xyzzy
    Original Member

Xyzzy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is amusing, as when it comes to calculating PQD, UA r:eek:unds up to the next dollar.

Flyer1976 and TravelerRob like this.
  12. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Hah. Exactly right! Which actually can results in 11 more miles per segment as a 1K.

-Rob

13. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Here's an interesting anecdote.

The section online for a reservation which now shows how many PQM/PQD you will earn per trip/segment actually rounds UP for flights that are an odd mileage. IAH-MEX is 763 miles. The online reservation shows I will earn 1,145 PQM. However, the flights will post as 1,144 PQM because the system rounds down.

All those PQM just getting lost in cyber space :)

-Rob

14. TravelerRob
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Ok, United may actually be reading these threads and updating their systems?

IAH-MEX just posted to my account. It is 763 PQM but at 1.5x it actually posted at 1,145 so they rounded "right" (not down) on this case. Will know next week how other flights post which are odd-numbered in PQM.

Thanks,
    Rob