UA Refugees

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by PointyWings, Dec 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. PointyWings

PointyWings Silver Member

Status Points:
    Pardon me if this has been discussed elsewhere, but what are UA 1Ps doing for 2012? Sticking with UA and a castrated FF program?

My flying is all transpac or transatlantic and I have never enjoyed flying UA, but did so only because of the 100% bonus miles on MileagePlus. Now that this has been downsized to 50%, I really see no reason to fly UA and not one of the other *A carriers, virtually all of which have a product superior to UA.

Are there any others like me who are wondering whether they should find a new home for banking miles in 2012 and beyond. Not being dinged for YQs on award tickets is important for me; does that leave any options besides US?

So what is everyone else doing?

unityofsaints and geclub1 like this.
  2. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Happy with UA.

unityofsaints likes this.
  3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm walking away. I booked one paid ticket since the announcement of program changes, and that was to burn a $400 voucher that was expiring. I won't accept 50% bonus miles when other carriers offer 100% (AA in my case). AA only charges fuel surcharges on award travel on BA. If you're flying discounted coach, though, it may not be the program for you because discounted coach fares with QF or CX flight numbers earn 0-50%. Workaround is the AA codeshare but that may cost you more. With the recent announcement of increased cooperation between Qantas and AA we might see normal mileage earning in the future, like what applies with BA flights now (100% miles on discounted coach), but that's not out there yet.

PointyWings likes this.
  4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I will probably stay with UA given that most of my flights will be destinations that they fly to. My alternate programs are likely Aegean (to get * Gold) and Aeroplan (unless they gut their Elite program).

5. PointyWings

Status Points:
    Tom911, I agree that AAdvantage is a better program than UA; I too would like to walk away from UA, but not from *A. So the question is which *A FF program should one migrate to? I am not sure what Aegean's redemption charts look like and whether they levy or waive YQs for award tickets; ditto for AC.

Does anyone know whether there is any kind of comparison table available for evaluating different *A programs?

6. kziel

kziel Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just requaled for 1P yesterday, happy enough to stay here.

Flyer1976 and TrippePanAM like this.
  7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    My wife (1P) is staying with UA. She'd never accept tons of connections (compared to non-stops from SFO) for the about 25k RDM she's losing. Time's worth something, too. And she likes E+ (and me, the 1K who gives her upgrades ;) )

8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    So if you stopped upgrading her, she would abandon UA? (and banish you to the guest bedroom no doubt! :p)

I am starting to rethink the whole connections thing. Sometimes, it does not make sense to traverse the country over a 12 hour period when it can be done in 5!

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No doubt she'd banish me. Not sure if she'd banish UA as well. It's not like I explain all the intricacies of the loyalty programs to her. It's sufficient for her to have learned 100k miles flown by me mean business class upgrades to Europe or Asia, so she does keep tabs on how I am doing :). One person in the house obsessed with *all* the details is sufficient.

Especially if it means less time at the destination.

10. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not happy with UA but sticking it out for about 2-3 more years to get to MM. After that, probably AA or AS.

karung99 likes this.
  11. PointyWings

Status Points:
    For transatlantic out of SFO, UA offers LHR only; for transpac out of SFO, UA offers you HKG, ICN & NRT. For all other destinations you have to change anyway. Why not do so with a far better airline (e.g. OZ, TG, LX or indeed on NH or LH and earn the bonus miles as well), rather than continue being a masochist and flying UA. The "tons of connections" is not an accurate comment at all.

Of course if you have a 1K spouse that does alter the equation somewhat, but not many of us can claim that advantage.

Moreover, the chances of SWUs clearing across the pacific have fallen dramatically now that UA has reduced the thrice daily SFO-NRT service to a single flight only.

Of course, as this thread reveals, there are many who are happy to continue flying UA; I am certainly not one of them, especially now that the 100% bonus mileage carrot has been taken away by Mr. Smisek. I am just looking for the best home to park my *A miles.

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I think you are forgetting non-stops to FRA with a 747 year-around and an additional 777 at least half the year.

As for better airlines... guess it really depends on what ones preferences are. If I buy a revenue ticket, I would like to be able to upgrade with my SWUs, which makes UA the obvious choice. And all my SWUs this year have cleared (and I ended up with two trans-oceanic Op-Ups on top of that).

But it's not only international non-stops. UA clearly has a much better route network for non-stop flights out of SFO. AA can't even get us to Hawaii anymore for a quick weekend getaway.

If I don't plan on upgrading, I prioritize seat comfort. E+ beats LH's coach to FRA by a mile (okay, 3-5 inches). I have carried on my own IFE for about eight years, so that's not a criteria. I am about to have a pile of drink chits expire (no worries, they'll be donated), so free booze isn't a criteria I worry about either. Food? Yeah, UA's coach food ain't good at all, but it's airplane food no matter what's painted on the outside of the plane, so I often bring my own supplies. Not sure if that makes me a masochist. But I do recall a few 10 hour trips from FRA to India and back on LH in coach and I can tell you that they weren't much fun with my knees rammed in the seat in front of me.

I am actually expecting to drop down to Platinum for 2013 if there isn't a major DEQM promo next year. And I am slowly but surely approaching MM status, and that will mean burning more miles for my wife and likely a bit less incentive to stick with UA.

Presumably that's only temporary.

what this thread reveals, IMO, is that different people are in different situations with different needs and priorities. For our needs the loss of 25k+ RDMs a year isn't as bad as for you or Tom, it seems.

13. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Jumping over to AA since accumulating miles from business travel to use for my vacation travel is the most important thing to me. 50% bonus just isn't going to do it for me over a lifetime of business travel.

14. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am building my bunker at United and have climbed up to Platinum for next year. Saddle up and lock and load. United is my airline

Gtitan and Flyer1976 like this.
  15. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    Congrats on the Requal

16. jumbo_cards

jumbo_cards Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'd be sticking with UA and see how it goes.

I also hated the loss of 25k bonus miles or more. My travel geography unfortunately is best suited for *A. SkyTeam might replace it but I'd also avoid Delta pesos. AA and OW unfortunately has very weak Asia coverage with CX as the primary carrier. CX although very good, is extremely expensive and their lower tier fares often gives 0%.

So for *A, UA(CO)/US/AC is 50% bonus... I was able to fly 75k this year, so next year it would only be a 25% decrease. I might be able to live with that.

TrippePanAM likes this.
  17. PointyWings

Status Points:
    Could not agree more. I am hoping that with MH coming on board next year, I may be able to switch some business to to them (I like flying MH too) and avoid CX. Actually my strategy until now had been to fly AA transatlantic and *A transpac, but I cannot manage 75K on *A while keeping up 100K on AA. And AA-EXP is far too valuable to give up.

18. TrippePanAM

TrippePanAM Gold Member

Status Points:
    for those of you leaving enjoy AA

19. craz
    Original Member

craz Silver Member

Status Points:
    If I was you Id be extremely torn with which way to go.

On 1 hand giving up 50% RDMs bonus isnt a good thing, yet on the other hand since it seems you fly very Long Haul flights giving up E+ might just be a worse thing to do, unless you arent a tall person (assuming you fly in Y)

as a 1K I dont have the problem you do but @ 6'2" Id probably stay with UA and give up those RDMs for the very needed leg room and find some other way to make back those lost miles, maybe even doing afew Runs to get to 1K so that I would maintain both E+ and the RDMs

Scottrick likes this.
  20. YUL36

YUL36 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Check out the advanced info for AP for 2013. They have gutted it. 35k becomes useless for int travel, will only be *S going forward and upgrades are all geared to domestic. Lounge access is domestic Cdn MLLs only + LHR and LAX. 50K is a severely gutted Elite but gold. . 75 is the old Elite.

21. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, Aeroplan used to have some advantages over other * programs that I considered made up for fuel surcharges on redemptions, the increase in mini-RTW costs and the new tier programs make it less palatable. I did not look too closely, but what are the differences in the 50K and 75K that make the 75K like the old Elite level?

22. jumbo_cards

jumbo_cards Silver Member

Status Points:
    They still have *A lounge access as one of their Select Privileges -- should you choose it. So for 2013, 35k'er would loose priority check-in, boarding and priority baggage as offered by *G status.

However it is highly likely that the 35k tier will be phased out all together in the future.

23. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am in the same boat, not happy with UA I will get my MM this year, and already doing MR for AA ExPlat this Jan.

hulagrrl210 and Jubileesmom like this.
  24. YUL36

YUL36 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The 35 tier is mostly what the 25K is now. You can opt for lounge access but its not the primo gold one we currently enjoy. It will be the eqv of the paid int maple leaf card. So yes to US lounges, no to the euro and aisan ones execpt
    those MLL's in CDG and LHR, Luggage is the same as *silver and no priority. Upgrades on the 35K tier will be domestic only, and only from higher fare buckets. Forget Int upgrades. Lets call it stripped down domestic eilte.
    AC is also being coy on how the upgrade priority will work for the new 50lK tier and the 75K tier.
    You are basically being asked by AC to gamble that staying with AP will be worth it in then end, and you know what promises from airlines are often worth.

canucklehead likes this.
  25. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Splitting points amongst THREE different programs in the same alliance?!?! :confused: :eek: