UA PS F Update (Wish List)

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by benolaa, Feb 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. benolaa
    Original Member

benolaa Gold Member

Status Points:
    Now that Continental management is running UA its time to refresh the PS premium service and extend it to EWR. Simply replacing the F seats with the current Flat bed B/F seat would be an excellent improvement and add 4 seats for sale. In addition by adding screens to the current business seats it would remove the systems they currently have to pass out which are a pain to deal with.

What else would you change?

2. Critic
    Original Member

Critic Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've never been on a p.s. flight, but I'd wager that if UACO were going to make any significant changes to the cabin, the temptation to return those aircraft to a 2-cabin configuration might be too great. That said, I'd take 2-cabin p.s. with an all E+ Y cabin over the existing options any day of the week...

3. Perhaps the days of three class are numbered now that SAG no longer pays for F. I know a lot of people in many large businesses (industry, banking, consulting), and NONE get paid F transcon. Only J.

4. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm wondering if a decision on international F won't decide this as well.

5. Pat+
    Original Member

Pat+ Silver Member

Status Points:
    I could see all C and F seats being converted to the CO BF seat.
    • The future of F as a separate product is indeed unclear given the current economy and company travel policies.
    • Right now F is a small upgrade over C. The soft product is no different, and the seat, albeit flat, is still angled, so it's hardly a night and day difference with the C seat.
    • The current IFL access perk is nice, but in reality it causes UA to maintain an IFL at JFK just for this purpose (although JFL intl flights might return...) and the benefit is theoretical in SFO where the location of the lounge doesn't make it convenient in most situations.
    • With the demise of the "old C" on intl aircraft, the p.s. C seat will become an exception, raising maintenance costs (spare parts, training, etc.) Of course the current F seat is already an exception in the fleet.
    With this in mind, a hybrid offer, which is exactly what CO BF is supposed to be, may make a lot of sense. It would mean a small upgrade for current C pax, pretty much status quo for the current F pax, would allow the airline to fit more seats and standardize their seating.
    Now... if UA goes this direction, though... I wonder what prevents them from simply converting the current p.s. aircraft into "CO-like" 2 class intl 757s. Assuming the p.s. 757s can make it accross the pond, it would make the fleet much more flexible... at the expense of the number of premium seats. Something to think about (and hardly in my wish list, OP :))

6. If they get rid of international F, they will almost certainly get rid of it on ps, since it would be weird to have three class F on domestic but not international.

7. ord

ord

I suspect that even if they go to a 2 class configuration the PS brand may live on to designate a transcon that has BF seats instead of normal domestic F seats.

8. Concur.

9. WaterSki
    Original Member

WaterSki Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hadn't realized this change happened. It does sound like it could take a bite out of paid 3-cabin F transcon service on both UA and AA.

10. This reminds me. I don't get the SAG thing. So, let's say I'm a member of SAG, but I'm not a successful actor, so I'm not making very much money. Does (did) it stipulate that if I were flown transcon for a movie, the studio would have to pay F?

11. mundosurfer
    Original Member

mundosurfer Gold Member

Status Points:
    They would have to rename it to BS

12. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a member of SAG (or an actor of any kind) so I don't really know. I assume that like many collectively bargained agreements of this sort it comes down to included/excluded categories.

For example, this agreement seems to have a carve-out for "background actors." So whoever those folks are, they might not be guaranteed C (or previously F) the way other SAG members were.

13. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    How does CO fit 4 rows of the BF flat bed in the front of their 752s though UA only gets 3 rows of the spacebeds in the front of ps752s currently? I think the ultimate decision will hinge on whether or not the new UA keeps or gets rid of 3-cabin planes on the long haul fleet.

Another thought to consider, if ps is expanded to EWR service would you be okay losing UDU on that route?

14. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I'm pretty sure that PS won't be a 3 class anymore. That SQ Space Bed seat is ancient and not very comfortable in my book. Don't see the point on throwing money down the toilet to get to PS F anymore.

The new BF seat or even the new UA flat bed C back to the over wing emergency exit and the rest of the plane with E and E+ is what I think will happen.

They will also bump up the catering and soft services significantly as well.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  15. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Fix the damb IFE!!! no power and no batteries make jack a very unhappy boy.

bring back JWB (or blue for that matter)

16. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Is this in reference to CO's IFE and power. In my experience the power on most of the ps planes has always been very good/ usually working plus they just got new video players on the UA ps jets (obviously not as good as the IFE in the new F/C though [​IMG])

17. Tivoboy
    Original Member

Tivoboy Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    No, it was a reference to the pretty much useless PS IFE (which are individual portable movie players from Archos I believe) which at this point in the worlds history die in about an hour due to batteries that haven't been replaced probably since inception. (and I don't mean since the MOVIE INCEPTION came out.!) Often, IME the in-flight power isn't working, which means the portable video units in C and F don't work and sometimes they don't even hand them out due to this fact. This has happened to me twice in the past four months, not sure if they have fixed it all by now.

18. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Archos devices are actually the second gen players on the ps flights. When the service launched originally they had portable DVD players for several years. In the last month the Archos units have been replaced with newer devices.

19. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Semi-related question -- can pax upgrade from j to f on ps using segments (udu?). I know it used to be permitted, but I think I saw it was taken away.

Are there any ways to make this upgrade now?

20. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that upgrade has been possible in recent memory possible without the use of some instrument.

21. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    I finally found it on ua's site. Cr 1, swu and miles/miles+$ only.

Thinking about it, I used segments when these were 767 routes, moving from j to f. For a while, my company paid f on this route, and I sat in ps f a few times.

So bloody complicated.

22. ptahcha

ptahcha Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you're not famous enough, they would not fly you across the country just to put you in a movie.

23. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not a member of SAG, nor part, anymore, of the production side of the biz, but there are several different collective bargaining agreements with SAG, and this one, as noted, only covers productions for Basic Cable. It's not for movies, for network TV, for pay cable (HBO, etc.). I don't know what those contracts call for, but it could be different, though likely not anymore.

24. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Back in January, I took the PS service on a trip to SIN. Went to LAX from JFK, and returned from SFO. Personally, I found the F seats a bit weird of mechanism in how they got to flat-bed status from chair-mode.

I've argued for a more competitive F product on CO trans-cons, but Smisek, at the CO Do's, always brought up seat capacity and the loss of revenue, where I argued that they might pull in greater revenue with a more BF product that matched UA and AA.

We'll see.