UA Presidential Plus Flex EQM Question

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by The Boat, Dec 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is the correct understanding of the Flex EQM that they can be applied up to Platinum and remain as part of the total EQM for the purposes of obtaining 1K; or if one reaches 1K, the EQMs are recalled?

2. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    No part of any FlexPQMs, applied at any time, may be used toward qualifying for Premier 1K status. Consider these four scenarios.
    1. If you have 70K PQMs, apply 5K FlexPQMs, and get Premier Platinum, you're good.
    2. If you have 76K PQMs, you won't even be allowed to try to apply FlexPQMs. They're not useful beyond 75K.
    3. If you have 70K PQMs, apply 5K FlexPQMs, and then later earn an additional 25K PQMs, you will still be Platinum. You will have earned 95K PQMs.
    4. If you have 70K PQMs, apply 5K FlexPQMs, and then later earn an additional 30K PQMs, you will be Premier 1K. You will have earned 100K PQMs.
    In cases 3 and 4, your 5K FlexPQMs are wasted. They will not be re-credited to your card. They will not count toward elite status now or in the future. So if you think you will qualify for Premier 1K, don't use them. Best to wait until the end of the year when you're sure you'll need them for Premier Platinum (or another lower tier).

8MiHi, Wandering Aramean and The Boat like this.
  3. The Boat
    Original Member

The Boat Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok. That is what I was thinking, but it seems that the wording on the CC agreement is very vague.

4. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:

Interesting way that UA interprets this sentence. In no place on their CC website do they say that you have to actually fly the 100,000 PQM to get 1K. This ambiguous statement is easy to interpret as you can only use the flex miles if your balance is under 75K and not over it, as it is not possible to transfer any flex PQM after you have 75,000.

This is entirely :rolleyes:

5. theBOAT
    Original Member

theBOAT Silver Member

Status Points:
    I like your username...

6. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    Darn, I guess I won't fly those extra 25,000 miles between now and New Years.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, if they said that, it would be incorrect anyway.

I didn't fly the 100k PQM that I reached last weekend. Some came from PQM accelerator purchases and 5,000 came from my Chase Select VISA.

8. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    HaveMilesWillTravel is correct. It's not about saying you have to fly 100K, only that FlexPQMs can't be used to achieve 1K status. In any way, shape, or form. So don't think you can sneak around the rules by applying them before you hit the 75K mark.

HaveMilesWillTravel and 8MiHi like this.
  9. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    What are these Chase Select VISA PQMs that you speak of?

10. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  11. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have heard that you also get another 5,000 PQM for spending $20K or $25K in a year. So you could get up to 10K PQM from this card. But I've never reached that threshold. Maybe it was for a different legacy card.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    $30k spend. It was called the Platinum VISA and cost $130/year. Also offered a bonus 5k PQM for getting it, so first year I got 15k PQM from it. I traded it in when the Select came out as I rarely reached the $30k spend. Select has $95 AF and offers 5k RDM each yer on renewal. And 3x RDM on on united.com spend, 2x on *A and other categories.

Scottrick likes this.
  13. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have an old Chase mileagePlus Signature Visa. I will have to check it. I vaguely remember something like earning status points with it.