UA - Please take a look at IAH-MDE and EWR-MDE

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by KenInEscazu, Aug 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm admittedly quite excited about my move later this year to MDE. The only thing about which I'm NOT excited is the addition of a second connection being required for my monthly run north to the states. From SJO, I can get to DFW with one stop in Houston. Same with most other destinations in the southwest/midwest. I can also get to the northeast with one connection at EWR, or none if I'm going to NYC.

From MDE I'm going to have to connect at BOG (a nightmare until the construction is finished) or PTY using Copa or Avianca before boarding UA metal. Then the connection at IAH or EWR. And it's not cheap.

Medellin was voted the World's Most Innovative City by the Wall Street Journal this year. The growth is stunning, as are the views of the mountains, the first world atmosphere, the local attractions, the beautiful women, the food, etc. No wonder tourism is rapidly rising. It's also a city with tons of industry, attracting a lot of business travel, and more every year.

I'll endure the extra connection to live here (I'm here preparing for the move now), and I'll enjoy the extra miles/segments after the fact, but life would be a lot easier if you would just look at the numbers and make the obvious choice. MDE is home to almost 4,000,000 people and growing. It's time.

MX, Flyer1976 and Jimgotkp like this.
  2. ChrisUNC

ChrisUNC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sounds like a beautiful place. Can I come work for you?

KenInEscazu and MX like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure it is so obvious that they're just ignoring the market to spite you, not because they don't actually see the sufficient yields or numbers of passengers necessary to make the operation profitable.

rggale and MX like this.
  4. Jaimito Cartero
    Original Member

Jaimito Cartero Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that BOG isn't the funnest place to connect in. Certainly, I'd suggest a direct flight to UA, and see if they respond at all.

5. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Oh please .... I've been trying to get United to restore IAD-DME for months . It was never officially canceled and remains suspended whatever that means. Now that the BRICS are no longer a hot item looks like I may be waiting for a long time. Perhaps forever

My answer to you

To quote d.r.S.L " We respond to demand we don't invent demand"

That said the chances d.r.S.L will cut Bogota Is higher than adding a flight to Medelin honestly

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  6. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I imagine Jeffrey Smisek sits at his office all day and looks at which routes can be cut, which routes can be flown with an RJ. Perhaps EWR-HKG? Or maybe LAX-SYD?

When I go on airlineroutes.net I expect to see routes cut or downgauged . Adding routes ?
    You must have UA confused with another airline

The day Jeffrey Smisek announces a new route to a high growth / interesting destination is the day pigs will fly . Jeffrey Smisek lives to cut routes.

Growth? That's left to other carriers. United is a shrinking airline with little growth prospects. Just be thankful a flight to BOG exists. I expect either IAH-BOG or EWR-BOG will be cut soon. That's too many flights....

HeathrowGuy likes this.
  7. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm no expert when it comes to choosing airline routing. American and Spirit both fly here, however, and I know that American has done so for many years. It is a growing market, and the reputation could be the cause of an oversight.

The current tourism slogan for Colombia is, "The only danger is that you won't want to leave." It's so true it hurts. When one of my employees suggested that we move our operations here, I laughed. I thought he had lost his mind. His persistence convinced me to take a look, so I thought I might get someone at UA to do the same. Surely they do base some decisions on customer input, and we know they do read these boards, even if Aaron has been avoiding replies of late.

For the record, I never said anyone was spiting me by not serving the market. I'm not opposed to sarcasm as a form of communication, but I'm confused by its use here.

If this thread doesn't get their attention now, maybe down the road a bit. If not later, then I'll continue to connect wherever I must. I love this place, and I'm not alone. :)

8. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the idea of MDE... my hot Spanish TA from school was from there ;)

9. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Let's all go visit Ken after he moves!

Brit, mht_flyer, meFIRST and 4 others like this.
  10. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ken, any thoughts on CTG versus MDE?
    Also, any thoughts on CTG in general? (Places to stay, stuff to see, how to get around)

KenInEscazu likes this.
  11. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, I have yet to even visit there. I know it's too hot for me to want to live there, so I'm waiting until I geet to MDE before taking a weekend trip with my Paisa girlfriend. It's in our plans, for sure. She says it's great, and everything I read agrees.

12. Misplaced Texan
    Original Member

Misplaced Texan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have nothing to add to this thread but want to take the opportunity to ask Chairman Jeff for prop service from MLB to somewhere like MCO or FLL. :)

Seriously though, we have lots and lots of major aerospace/defense contractors. Surely those folks want to get up to the Dulles corridor and, lacking any non-stops now, would be happy to roll MLB-XXX-IAD with your superiority of schedule into IAD over all other carriers. :D

Sent from a place using a fruit thing.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  13. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Colombia is not an open skies country with the US, therefore frequencies need to be awarded through a regulatory process. I'm not sure what the schedule is for additional US-Colombia frequency awards, but UA would need to make an application for the slots in the next round, and potentially face competing bids.

The other consideration is that IAH-CLO was a failure, and that city is similarly-sized to MDE. Traffic from the US to Colombia is overwhelmingly oriented toward the South Florida market, which is why NK and B6 have entered to good effect recently.

14. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Best of luck with that. We are definitely under-served in the SE, and it will soon be even worse if US departs *A. Your screen name would apply to me, too, as I'm a Texan by birth, and I didn't leave until I was 49 years old.

How did JetBlue and SPIRIT get approval? Spirit. Seriously? ;)

Cali doesn't have the same tourism or industry draw as Medellin. That's just a casual observation, but not inaccurate, in my perception. Now, of course, MDE will get hot, as I am going to be here. :D

Misplaced Texan likes this.
  15. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I went to Medellin a few years ago and loved it. Went to my first soccer match in person and it was great. (Nacional won). Perfect weather, city of eternal spring or something like that. People could not have been nicer, even to a non spanish (at least not mucb) speaking gringo like me. :)

Only thing we were told is stay out of the rural mountain areas and it we saw something funky...just turn around and walk away. But i suppose it is like that everywhere down there.

KenInEscazu likes this.
  16. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I feel much safer here than in most parts of Costa Rica. We had dinner tonight with my girlfriend's niece and her husband. They told me that I have not been to the parts of town that are dangerous, and I should avoid them permanently. That reminded me of a time when my car broke down right at sundown in a part of Dallas where I had never been. I had to walk 3 blocks to find a payphone, and I was not treated well by anyone while trying to find one. I have never been more afraid than that evening in Texas.

Point is that I have come to the conclusion that even the best parts of the world have their pockets of danger. Anyone traveling should plan ahead of time that if there is any doubt about an area, don't go there. Medellin is no different than most U.S. cities in that regard. I have seen a LOT of it, and it makes sense that I haven't been to the bad parts. No tourist would likely ever end up in danger except by some huge error. Speaking Spanish does come in handy, however.

desamo likes this.
  17. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know it is a touristy thing but the metro cable up the hill was cool. And I really liked that hill in the middle of town with the little chapel on top. You can see all around. (Dont remember the name but it was almost next to the airstrip downtown)

KenInEscazu likes this.
  18. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    That metro cable may indeed attract tourists, but it was built to make access to the city more convenient for those in poverty who live up there. Getting to a job became a lot easier with that addition to the local transportation.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  19. EWR764
    Original Member

EWR764 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The "low-cost" angle of B6 and NK definitely appeals to the DoT, coupled with the fact that both carriers sought service to the largest US market from MDE, creating more competition. If UA wanted additional slots, they could probably obtain them, but I think something like a BOG-IAD would be a stronger play at this point than IAH-MDE. That said, unfortunately I expect neither.

Flyer1976 and Wandering Aramean like this.
  20. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    BOG-IAD makes sense. Looks like they code share it with Avianca. I guess that still counts as PQD.

Avianca also offers a 1 stop MDE-DFW via SAL. The price can be right, but at 50% mileage credit. It leaves MDE at 6:00 AM. :eek:

21. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Plus, I'm pretty sure that their recent applications were unopposed (B6 winning MCO-BOG was contested). Plus, there's the part where next year the US-Colombia market goes "Open Skies" with no more slot restrictions. In the interim the following routes are limited:
    • Atlanta-Bogota
    • Ft. Lauderdale-Bogota
    • Ft. Lauderdale-Cali
    • Ft. Lauderdale-Medellin
    • Houston-Bogota
    • Los Angeles-Bogota
    • Miami-Bogota
    • Miami-Cali
    • Miami-Medellin
    • New York/Newark-Bogota
    • New York/Newark-Medellin
    • Orlando-Bogota
    • Washington-Bogota

UA could launch IAD/IAH/ORD-MDE tomorrow if they wanted to. EWR-MDE and IAD-BOG are limited through EoY.

22. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    Does AA serve dfw-mde nonstop?

23. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    No. They do fly MIA-MDE which is ~900 miles shorter.

Rob likes this.
  24. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    AS WA said, they fly out of MIA, so DFW-MIA-MDE is the current routing. I think they did fly non-stop out of DFW in the past, but my memory could be of seeing MDE flights leaving when I was connecting in MIA. It has been more than 4 years now since I quit flying AA.

Not having to connect at MIA was one of the first big advantages (no pun intended) of switching to CO. Departing the country there is tolerable, but arriving is a nightmare. Although I'm sure that GE makes it somewhat easier, the number of intl. arrivals, inaccurate posting of carousels, rudeness and incompetence of the staff in the baggage claim area and distance that I always had to walk to reach that train wreck made me hate flying through there.

Rob likes this.
  25. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:

Ah - had noticed that it had mainline AA service from their inflight magazine, but they don't show routes, just cities served.

KenInEscazu likes this.