UA Pilots Authorize Strike

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by From NYC, Jul 17, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/07/17/business/ap-us-united-pilots-strike-vote.html?hp

According to the report, 99% of those voting approved the strike action. As the piece also notes, there are many obstacles to a strike actually happening.

“CHICAGO (AP) — Pilots at United Airlines say they could go on strike, after two years of failed negotiations on a new contract.

The Air Line Pilots Association said Tuesday that of the pilots who voted, 99 percent authorized a strike.

Federal law includes many obstacles to strikes among airline workers, and the vote doesn't mean pilots will be walking off the job anytime soon. The National Mediation Board has not declared an impasse in negotiations, a necessary precursor to a legal strike.

The pilots are unhappy over failure to win a single contract covering United and the former Continental airlines. The airlines combined in 2010 under parent United Continental Holdings Inc.

United is the world's biggest airline by passenger miles.“

canucklehead likes this.
  2. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    If nothing else, perhaps this show of solidarity will serve to move negotiations forward.

genemk2 and From NYC like this.
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had they not voted in such a strong block that would have been astonishing. At this point i don't think the vote really will change the Company's view of things.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  4. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    When it gets to this level, then attention should be paid: “The National Mediation Board has not declared an impasse in negotiations, a necessary precursor to a legal strike.“

Wandering Aramean and Sedosi like this.
  5. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    since the FA's agreed to a contract can I book a flight while the pilots are on strike? then get on the plane empty the bar cart, get off the plane, go home, and collect my miles.

Steve GadFly, nova, skyvan and 3 others like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pretty close result.

From NYC, canucklehead and Sedosi like this.
  7. paladin87
    Original Member

paladin87 Silver Member

Status Points:
    They are outraged that they might have to fly a bunch of filthy lice in first class to HKG for pennies.

From NYC likes this.
  8. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    You won’t get miles since the plane won’t move, so I’d recommend a fully refundable ticket. Also, if you sit on the plane for 3 hours, make sure to close the door, you could get compensation for that time on the ground stuck on a plane that doesn’t leave the airport. If you’re really good, retract the jetway a little before jumping back on board to shut the door, just to be sure you can claim that you couldn’t’ve been properly deplaned.

All around, except for no miles, a win-win, no?

9. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    how about sitting in the plane for the lenght of the flight, that would count right. ;p

basiface likes this.
  10. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    See the addition to my post, made while you were posting this. “you could get compensation for that time on the ground stuck on a plane that doesn’t leave the airport. If you’re really good, retract the jetway a little before jumping back on board to shut the door, just to be sure you can claim that you couldn’t’ve been properly deplaned.“

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And use that compensation to buy the RDM/EQM.

From NYC likes this.
  12. Nelumbo
    Original Member

Nelumbo Silver Member

Status Points:
    More cancellations and more VDBs to come?

13. cvsara
    Original Member

cvsara Gold Member

Status Points:
    But just as important as the miles you won't get, don't I have to be in first class to get my friend. Jack, to visit me, while we're waiting to 'push back'?? Jack is my friend, on land, sea, home, well, you get the idea.;)

14. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The folks who say "any publicity is good publicity" certainly never saw this mess. This airline just can't seem to buy good pub lately. It seems like every story involving UA is a bad one in one form or another. Yes I concede they seem to shoot themselves in the foot a lot, but it's just day after day of bad news in one form or another.

skyvan and LETTERBOY like this.
  15. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't have lice. I wash my hair.

ssullivan likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If this actually came to something- what would be the realistic timing(s)? I have a few UA flights at the end of August that are particularly time sensitive and in involve both DEN and ORD (I know, I know)- so if there is something real here I will adjust the trips accordingly. Any ideas from the friendly MP experts?

17. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    At this point, there’s no reason to worry about flights at the end of August.

However, let me repeat what I wrote in post #4 above: When it gets to this level, then attention should be paid: “The National Mediation Board has not declared an impasse in negotiations, a necessary precursor to a legal strike.”

I’m sure it’ll make the news when/should things get to that stage. The media would likely notice if a sick-out of some magnitude started before that stage.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  18. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks From NYC. Let's hope this all gets solved for everyone prior to any elevated actions.

19. nova

nova Silver Member

Status Points:
    lets just hope any strike happens after 27 july. id just really like to get home from europe in a timely manner

20. Sedosi

Sedosi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would pause before scheduling anything in 2013 however, possibly during the Holidays for 2012.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that however. Both sides should understand that a strike is not in the best interests of anyone.

LETTERBOY and From NYC like this.
  21. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    From NYC likes this.
  22. stephenbgarvan

stephenbgarvan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Velly intellestink .....

23. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like they're protesting in Washington...

USA Today - United pilots take protest to the White House

stephenbgarvan likes this.