UA Pax Stranded in Shanghai

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by HiIslands, Jul 13, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. HiIslands
    Original Member

HiIslands Silver Member

Status Points:
    sobore, SQ LPP and Gargoyle like this.
  2. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I hope they get more than just refunds. Sounds pretty awful, though I don't know that UA anticipated more than a 1-day delay at anytime. If they did, they should have tried to accommodate passengers on other flights, whether operated by United or otherwise.

Dubuque75 likes this.
  3. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    wow, that's your take on it even for MX? 1 day is your threshold for being reasonable to offer re-accommodation? Not immediately after the first cancellation?

-David

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  4. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    That's a tough spot for the passengers. Worse part was spending an extra 3 days not hanging out in the city but at the airport.

Flyer1976 and genemk2 like this.
  5. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A 24-hr delay isn't the end of the world, IMO. Would be different if this was ORD-EWR. But you have very few personnel in PVG, nobody else flies that route, and by the time you rebook ppl into PVG-LAX-EWR or some other routing, they were probably better off waiting for the next-day flight. And if you scatter your IRROPS passengers, it becomes much larger to make sure they are looked after along the way.

6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Rebooking doesn't necessarily require people on the ground.

I'd call this a big massive #FAIL for United.

7. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

I just don't understand the attitude that this type of treatment is ok under any circumsances. Maybe its ok for their non-rev pax, but not for anybody else, IMHO.

I guess we learn something new here every day.

-David

8. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Any pax who ended up staying that long for the replacement flight was not an educated traveler.

Flyer1976 and LIH Prem like this.
  9. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. Unfortunately. You shouldn't have to be an educated traveler to be treated correctly in situations like that.

What do you expect from an airline that handles mistakes by yanking bonus miles from everybody's account rather than doing the right thing and uses terms like "over-entitled" to describe their customers?

it really seems like they just don't understand basic customer relations management and loyalty.

-David

garyst16 likes this.
  10. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    There were no other alternatives / flights? Seems odd since this is not a remote airport.

HiIslands likes this.
  11. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Plenty of options with one connection. No one was stranded...except the uninformed.

12. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    OW and ST carriers for me!

13. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can't make that presumption.

In an era of record load factors, and carriers being as inflexible as possible to maximize revenues, I could absolutely see a scenario where sticking with the severely delayed flight was the only practical option for most of the people on the plane from either a logistical or financial (out-of-pocket costs) standpoint.

catgirl and garyst16 like this.
  14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Short-term revenues. What do you think are the chances you'd see those people stuck in Shanghai ever book UA again if they can help it? I suspect that's an experience that might even drive the most dedicated Kayaker to another, perhaps more expensive carrier.

15. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm Jeff Smisek and if I could alienate each and every passenger I would.

United, er, Continental, Airlines.

[I'm not really $MI/J, I'm just a lowly buffalo]

Gargoyle likes this.
  16. lichenlt
    Original Member

lichenlt Silver Member

Status Points:
    out of curiosity, what kind of compensation do people usually get for such a long delay/cancellation? I've head people getting nothing but a simple refund while others getting some miles, etc. Are there any laws that require airlines to compensate these travelers in terms of money?

kw335 likes this.
  17. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well, these folks technically got a free ride to EWR, given the "full refund". At least according to the article.

18. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    The "boarding issue" that delayed the flight on the third day -- so much that the crew was going past its maximums and that flight had to be cancelled -- what was that all about? Security? Luggage mismatch? Some Global Services person had a snit over no upgrade? (Third one is a joke.)

I'm not in Shanghai and didn't see this with my own eyes, but it just seems to my uneducated brain like if the flight has already been cancelled twice, you bring in your best ground staff, supervisors, every "suit" you've got in Shanghai, start the boarding early and make dang sure it gets off on schedule on the third day. And it didn't!

19. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't understand this, either. The crew doubtless had been in a hotel, so doesn't their duty period begin when the door closes or the flight pushes back? Is their permissable flight time so tight that a boarding delay can cause them to go illegal? Then it sounds like there needs to be an additional pilot on the flight. But PVG-EWR is also the shorter direction (tailwinds). Something doesn't add up.

20. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
  21. 2wheels

2wheels Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was on a maintenance delayed flight at CDG a few years ago. It resulted in an overnight stay. The rebooking process the next day delayed us even more, since the number of checkin desks don't double, but the number of flights did. I'm not sure how much counter space UA has in PVG, but if they were trying get the delayed flight out, and the normal flight out, that could have caused the boarding delay. It took nearly 6 hours to checkin/board our 777 at CDG. I believe the C cabin was out of wine before we took off!

Gargoyle likes this.
  22. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I very much know that I am sitting here in the middle of the U.S. trying to second-guess what United did half a world away. And I fully recognize the hazards in doing that. However, it seems to me you drop everything -- even the more current flight -- to get the restless/3-day-delayed pax out first, and without further delay. If there is insufficient counter space at CDG and/or PVG, one possibility would be to delay the more current day's flight by three hours to get the aggrieved pax out of the way first. I have seen other airlines (e.g., American at Honolulu with 767s) post a sign at the counter and kiosks that a certain flight is going to be mega-late in leaving, so that folks may not rush to check in while others are doing so.

I realize that doing this on a second flight may cause its own problems -- the crew maximum for THAT flight, or use of that airplane at further stations downstream, for instance. But that is why airlines have operations departments, and it just seems to me that this three-day shanghai of the Shanghai pax was horrible p.r. for UA.

Meantime, I hope you got your share of wine that day at CDG before they ran out!

23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
  25. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    Don't count on it. If Continental refuses to rebook your ticket to other metal (which they have done many many many times in the past), some semi savvy travelers would still be stuck. Not saying that's what happened here, but our dear friend Rahsaan said that only 50 passengers were accommodated on other flights. That sounds an awful like they were accommodated on other United flights as there are a ton of flights out of PVG.

Of course, the way out is to call and have them rebook you to a flight you have found yourself.

aptraveler and Flyer1976 like this.