UA or US for elite status?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by ctboss, Jun 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. ctboss

ctboss Active Member

Status Points:
    My company has booked enough flights for me over the summer on United that will give me Silver status and on my way to Gold. I also should be able to reach Gold by the end of the year. My question is should I credit the flights to UA or to US Air? And does it work that I can credit a flight on another airline to earn elite status?

My thought is that I don't care so much about loyalty because I've never flown enough to earn status. I just buy the flight that works best for me. But I have 75k US Airways miles(25,000 more on its way with the US Air Business card) and 130k AA miles. I was thinking that it would be best to get status with US so that I can eventually get status with AA where the bulk of my miles will be.

I've spent too much time thinking about this and want to know what you guys think.

Thanks

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, you can (for now) credit US flights to your UA account and earn status (needs 4 UA segments, I believe). But in general get status with the airline that you'll likely fly the most once you have status.

3. WhiteDesert

WhiteDesert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope you enjoy UA gold!
    I never even bothered to try for airline status before 2013. In January, I decided to do a trial preferred with US Airways. I planned out the next three flights that I had and qualified Silver via segments. It has been worth every bloody penny of the $215 that trial preferred cost me. My upgrade success has only been around 37%, but the Zone 1 boarding and the ability to choose exit row and forward cabin seats* make it worth it. Add to that the bonus miles, the 500 mile minimums, and the waived checked baggage fees, and I'm a seriously happy guy. I have a couple of flights coming up on UA, and I got waived baggage fees and priority boarding on those flights due to Star Silver. The other benefits are worth more to me than sitting in the forward cabin, so I'm not bothered by my successful upgrades percentage. I'm very happy having status. I wish I had paid attention years ago. I hope you have a similarly good experience.

If you think that you'll end up flying AA a lot after the merger and trying to get status with them, then I think your idea of crediting your UA flight miles to US makes sense.

*My opinions on the fact that only elites get to choose those seats without additional charge is a different conversation...

4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given where your points are and what your travel looks like I'd credit to US, not UA, mostly for the reasons you've identified (where your points are going to be). Depending on the timeline of the flights and what metal they are on you might even consider the US Preferred Challenge and pay a few bucks to get the status in advance and back-fill the qualifications, earning more points and having a better travel experience while doing the earning part.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  5. dayone
    Original Member

dayone Silver Member

Status Points:
    On which airline will most of your future flying be? Does your company mandate UA? What is your home airport?