UA or LH // Business Class

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by edekba, Aug 21, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I found some award availability on Lufthansa IAD - MUC on the A330 (New Business Class I believe) and was thinking of switching up my flight. Currently I am on ORD - BRU in GlobalFirst BusinessFirst ; but last year I flew GlobalFirst BusinessFirst already (SFO - ICN) and wanted to try out some new things.

What do you think? Should I switch it up? Is there anyway to 100% verify that we're in the new business class?

2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    iolaire likes this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well after more digging; it looks like the fake booking and hoping for no 27DEFG doesn't really work. Lufthansa doesn't sell those seats until at least 2M out from departure when they can somewhat better determine if they'll be using the old/new A333.

Also now IAD - MUC space is gone (IAD-MUC prolly had the highest chance of a new J) :(

4. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Wait. You're booked in UA F now and you want to downgrade to LH J? Why? Especially if there's a high chance you're gonna get stuck in the old J product. If you want to "upgrade," just wait <14 days and see if any LH F's open up.

5. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA Business Class :-p not F my mistake. BusinessFirst

6. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    I would certainly pick the new LH product over UA. Sounds like you can't guarantee new LH for your dates?

edekba likes this.
  7. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not until 2M prior will the tool be valid and even then who knows if LH will switch an old A333 on it

8. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
  9. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
  10. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, OP cannot be 100% sure... but OP can also check here, if there is any inventory change planned on given route... http://airlineroute.net/2013/08/30/lh-w13update4/

So far for MUC-IAD no planned changes...

edekba likes this.
  11. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmm that doesn't list aircraft seat type though. So even if there isn't a planned changed for aircraft type they could switch in an old J A333. Looking at the Lufthansa checker tool I've found that Tuesdays they have the old J on the aircraft so far ...

But thanks for the link!

12. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, and changes on LH are plantiful... so no guarantee what so ever... if i were OP I would stick with BF on UA... but thats just me... :)

edekba likes this.
  13. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just might just; IAD - MUC on the date I need is gone. I was thinking of doing JFK - MUC // ORD - MUC... but the probability of new LH J on those route is even worse than IAD - MUC.

14. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesnt LH have new J on new 747-8 from IAD to FRA? This is not an option for you? :confused:

edekba likes this.
  15. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    No Space at the moment; seems like there is 0 B74H space. I would of course prefer LAX - FRA on the B74H but alas no seats right now. (I have alerts setup so if space becomes available I will probably switch)

16. Mirror74

Mirror74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that is always a problem... Funny thing is that there seem to be plenty of space on both FRA-LAX/IAD in J and on some dates also in F for Miles and More members... :) Damn LH and their handling of premium awards for partners... :D

edekba likes this.
  17. Dozer

Dozer Silver Member

Status Points:
    edekba likes this.
  18. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Will read!
    I have about 2 weeks before the flight will show up on LH's site. Then I might change & hope no equipment changes.

mirohacek likes this.