UA: OLCI then Upgrade in Res System

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Seacarl, Apr 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    This has been frustrating me for years. It can't be that hard to make a fix. I experienced it again today, motivating me post.

When an upgrade hasn't cleared at the 24-hour mark, we are incentivized to do OLCI at the 24-hour mark as check-in time is the factor that prioritizes upgrades among same status and fare code (and I've experienced this mattering.)

But when an upgrade clears in the reservation system after you've done OLCI, now your reservation is in a weird limbo. Most importantly it becomes impossible to assign a seat. You can't do it online, and you can't do it via a reservation agent. Canceling check-in doesn't seem to help. When you try to assign a seat, it either doesn't stick or you are told it is under airport control, even when the flight is still 15 hours away.

It doesn't seem like rocket science to permit getting unchecked-in and then redoing OLCI in the new cabin. I hope this gets fixed in the integration with CO - but this has been out there for many years on United, even well before UDU when were using instruments.

2. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can't speak about the CO side but on the UA side, it's been a long standing "issue" :rolleyes: if your upgrade clears after you have OLCI'd. When it happens, find a lobby or gate agent as soon as you arriver at the airport and have them un-check you in AND off load you from the flight and then re-load you and you should show as upgraded. Most agents know how to do it but if they don't the key is to tell them to off-load you.

3. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    One word... Apollo...

I have only had 2 or 3 check-ins with UA this year that did not have any issue, the other 10 :rolleyes: it is getting really annoying...

When they switch over to SHARES that issue will go away... Also the issue where you can't check in with e-certs should go away too...

4. mherdeg
    Original Member

mherdeg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Web Support can fix this issue by manually assigning you a seat in F after your upgrade clears. Takes 10-15 minutes including time to chat with a supervisor.

5. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    The last 2 times this happened to me, when I callked the 1K res line the agent could neither fix it nor assign the seat, and the check-in agent at the originating airport could not (or could not figure out how to) give me the corrected boarding pass or assign the seat for the 2nd segment - I had to get it at the connecting hub airport (it was the 2nd segment which was upgraded in the res system after OLCI.)

I hope this problem goes away when the UA-CO systems merge. Otherwise it must create phone support costs whenever someone calls about it.

6. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is the 3rd time this has occurred when my upgrade clears after OLCI. Its a total annoyance-website tells me PNR = error, and now I have to see the airport agent. I suppose as long as they don't take upgrade away all is well, but still, this shouldn't happen when OLCI is part of the standby upgrade priority

7. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    In this situation...I've also had the best luck resolving the issue before visiting the airport by calling web support as mentioned by mherdeg.