UA now charging for headphones in coach on JFK transcons

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by dhammer53, Nov 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I flew coach SFO/JFK today. Left my headphones at home. When I asked the F/A for a headset, she wanted to charge me.

I remember the days when UA made a big deal about free movies and free headsets. I was surprised when she wanted to charge me. :eek: I was told that UA started charging 2 months ago. The flight attendant said she had a hard time asking for money, but this was how UA did things now, and they didn't have any flexibility. :(

The good news is that the IFE system at your seat is loaded with a nice selection of movies, music, and television shows. It's not international, but it's pretty good for domestic coach.

FYI, just to add to my sig below, this was my first paid flight of 2014.

2. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Frankly, I have no problems with that. The things cost money and often end up in the landfills after a single use (did you keep yours, considering the craptacular quality?).

ssullivan likes this.
  3. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't buy them. I did some work on my laptop + surfed the net using a GoGo pass that I had.

4. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    How much were they charging?

5. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Exactly. How many thousand crappy airline headphones are thrown in the trash every single day?

I'm always amazed at the people I see who have brought their own headphones and still take a pair from a FA because they're free. And usually they open them, realize they're awful, and leave them behind for the aircraft cleaners to throw in the trash.

It would be much smarter for the airlines to stock a small number of decent headphones and sell them at true retail prices. Maybe if people paid $25 for them, they'd not trash them immediately, or just bring their own.

bigx0, Xyzzy, IDGflygirl and 3 others like this.
  6. Olton Hall
    Original Member

Olton Hall Gold Member

Status Points:
    Way way back HP sold decent headphones you could keep for $5. I was annoyed since I had the same headphones and I paid $25 for them in a store.

7. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Buy them all up, sell them on ebay.

LIH Prem likes this.
  8. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the point here is that this is sold as a premium route, and was a complimentary item for years, until 2 months ago. One would have expected that even in the post-quilombo that if it was a complimentary offering until very recently, it would have been spared the cut on one of only two domestic premium routes.

9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Forgive me as I have only flown PS once in my life... but do they have anything in PS coach that VX or Jetblue don't have on every route they fly? I think VX also charges for headphones. No idea about B6 (never flown them).

10. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    $10.00, and the headset wasn't anything special.

I did disappear inflight for a while. I was talking to the JFK/SFO based crew in the back. That was a trip down memory lane for me, since I flew (past tense) JFK/CA transcons for 25 years. They thought I was UA since I knew so much about some of the JFK based flight att's and the UA program. ;)

Garp74 likes this.
  11. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did they do away with the pay Direct TV? Last time I flew UA they had the Direct TV that is paid, and if you don't pay the screen stays on and shows ads. I don't like that because 80% of the people don't watch the TV yet on a night flight the screen is still on lighting up the cabin.

12. Steve GadFly
    Original Member

Steve GadFly Gold Member

Status Points:
    DirecTV is still offered on a lot of planes. The screen is very easy to turn off and I don't think I've ever been on a red-eye where the cabin crew hasn't made announcements at the beginning of the flight telling people exactly how to do it.

Garp74 and iolaire like this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Wow, that puts the premium into p.s.

I would have expected a nominal fee of $2.

14. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't notice pay tv as one of the options. May have missed it since I did spend some time looking at the air map. ;)

15. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    You know that if you dim the screen all the way it turns completely off, right?

16. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm complaining about the 80% of the people that don't know that.

17. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Another reason to not fly a redeye unless you're crossing an ocean to change continents. ;)

18. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or just bring an eye mask. And bring your own headphones. I mean seriously...who doesn't do that anymore?

I'm a big fan of the transcon redeye. Probably my most frequent type of flight. Then again, I fit into all the seats because I'm not some Tree, @ssullivan :D

Garp74, desamo and Wandering Aramean like this.
  19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OP forgot them. I am just grateful that such a thing never happens to me :)

I used to be a fan of transcon redeyes. Not because they are comfortable, but because they save me a day of my life (in a weird way). I am not a tree, and I fit into any seat, but that doesn't mean I am comfortable. Even if upgraded to domestic F, I am not comfortable sleeping. Even with eye mask, headsets, glass of red wine, ... Nowadays I dread redeyes. Did a couple as MRs last year, and that probably pushed me over the edge :)

desamo likes this.
  20. Phorever

Phorever Silver Member

Status Points:
    I flew on one of these planes the other day...

UA has two planes in their fleet that are generally used for transcend SFO or Lax -> JFK... They have a pretty cool touchscreen video setup. Tons of movies, TV shows, music, all for free in coach. Reminded me a little of the international business screens.

I was impressed.

Garp74 and dhammer53 like this.
  21. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    But that's why they have those Best Buy machines in every airport! Just recently overpaid for some Beats headphones because I forgot mine.

I can sleep fine on any redeye as long as I have a window seat. No drugs necessary.

22. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just wait till you turn 60. :p

Dan

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  23. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    If I start forgetting them at home once I turn 60, that will actually be an improvement to my current behavior where I forget them on the plane :)

dhammer53 likes this.
  24. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've always had a checklist of things to bring, and headphone hasn't been one of them. Now it is. ;)

dh

25. lapointdm

lapointdm Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had to purchase headphones on a trip because I forgot mine. Not the best quality but certainly useable and I keep them as a spare.