UA moving 1300 jobs to Chicago

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Gargoyle, Jun 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel held a joint press conference today (Fri. June 10) with Smisek to make the announcement.

Most of the jobs are in operations and will be based in the Willis (Sears) tower.

chitownflyer and sobore like this.
  2. GreekDeno

GreekDeno Silver Member

Status Points:
    Good news for Chi. Where were the operations people before?

3. Hannaman
    Original Member

Hannaman Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hopefully this means many of the employee and families will be able to relocate from Houston and have a chance at a better life in a more progressive part of the country.

Renard, Pegasus and Gargoyle like this.
  4. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    A lot of these are from Houston, some from DEN. This will put 4k people in the Willis/Sears Tower offices.

chitownflyer likes this.
  5. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    SC Flier and Gargoyle like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    The other side of the coin. Chicago gains, Houston loses.
    Part of the point of mergers is to consolidate and cut costs, which generally means cutting people.

8. Anglo Large Clawed Otter
    Original Member

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not quite.

ExxonMobil is creating a huge new campus in The Woodlands (a Houston suburb). This campus alone is estimated to add about 12,000 jobs to the Houston economy (about 10x more than are being lost in the CO move). There are also persistent rumors that this is a precursor to ExxonMobil moving its Global HQ to Houston from Dallas, which would result in one of the world's largest and most profitable companies being based in Houston (and tons of additional jobs).

Houston is also second (behind only New York), in terms of U.S. cities with Fortune 500 Companies headquartered there, at 22 (nearly three times as many as Chicago):

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune500/2011/cities/

9. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    The creation of the campus will create the jobs, but the only jobs being added by ExxonMobil will be the 2,500 employees coming from their Fairfax, VA campus.

What will be interesting is how this affects the annexation agreement between the city of Houston and the Woodlands.

Gargoyle likes this.
  10. Anglo Large Clawed Otter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Regardless, in the past year, Houston ranked second (behind only Dallas) in terms of jobs created. IIRC, the total was around 57,000 jobs. The contention that Houston is losing jobs overall while Chicago is adding them is demonstrably false... grossly so.

Don't haz a link to source at the moment, as I'm on an iPhone, but a Google of "Bizjournal Houston Add Jobs" should pull ip the stats.

Gargoyle likes this.
  11. Anglo Large Clawed Otter
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I may have read Dig R's statement too broadly. If he's just referencing loss of CO/UA corporate jobs in Houston, that would be unsurprising.

12. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    Completely agree with what you're saying. The growth in Houston has been phenomenal and will continue to be so.

13. catgirl
    Original Member

catgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am glad they are moving some of the jobs to Chicago. It has been all over the news the number of companies who are trying to leave Illinois because of the taxes.

14. I am glad the jobs are coming to UA after dealing with CO call centers, I miss United already. I wont fly CO anymore till I can get UA call center service...

15. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess The Bunker, CO's standby duplicate operations center outside of Houston, is also going away? I'd imagine UA has a similar set-up, but don't know where it is. Close to Chicago? Toured The Bunker on the 2nd CO Do, and it was quite a complex, set up years ago as a bomb shelter.

16. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure. It would make sense if they moved it, especially if they have the space.

The bunker itself would stay as the colocation company is still renting out space to other other tenants.

17. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a long way between Chicago and Houston, so i imagine they'll give it up. It'd be kinda hard to get employees there at the last moment.

I did realize that the facility itself would remain. It should be declared a Historic Site, even though it's underground.

18. Yeah, talking to "Bangalore Bob" or "Romanian Alice" on the UA line is always MUCH better then speaking to CO CSR's.

19. No as a 1k we speak to people in USA however I have never had any problems with Bangalore those call centers are staffed well with people who can help out. However Manila is a different problem I do not find them as helpful
    part of the problem is UA can fix problems with the agent you talk to at 1k line........ with CO they take forever and always have to talk with a supervisor. UA has always had far superior methods of fixing problems.
    One day you will understand after giving up the shackles of Air Canada ..:)

20. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, as a 1K I am quite familiar with UA call centers -- both US and foreign, and I have had good and bad experiences. I am not nearly as familiar with the CO call centers, but my limited experience has generally been a good one with them. E.g., just last week booked a *A F award and it took literally 5 minutes. UA, on the other hand, claimed to not see those LH award seats. So I'd say YMMV.

Seriously, let's not turn this into a UA is better than CO (or vice versa) thread. No one's going to benefit from that.

21. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    I thought UA corporate was on West Wacker (the newer, gray slate one; Leo Burnett building, I think it's called). Is UA moving everything to Willis? Have they already?

22. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    In my experience of setting up business continuity sites we generally tried for geographic diversity to avoid the issue of both the people and the site being lost in any given incident. Keeping the bunker outside of Houston isn't all that far-fetched in that regard, especially given the investments made in getting it up and running.

23. ssullivan
    Original Member

ssullivan Gold Member

Status Points:
    I could see that as well. After all, CO did move a data center to the Carolinas a few years ago for the exact same reason.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  24. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    This was my thought as well. There would likely have to be a significant business cost savings or some other equally impressive benefit to closing an established and well-provisioned backup ops center and disaster-resistant IT systems site.

25. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    True, but the facility wasn't totally funded by them and the above ground operations center is fairly expensive from a rent perspective. So the data center I could see them keeping, the disaster area, not so sure.