UA MileagePlus Explorer Card $25k spend bonus/keep with UA deval?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Credit Cards' started by Filler03, Nov 1, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Filler03

Filler03 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two things:

First, I noticed 10,000 UA miles posted to my UA account last week. I sent a SM to chase who confirmed I'm not at my $25,000 in spend yet. Called today and they confirmed it was indeed for the $25k in spend and was sent premature. Has anybody else had this happen?

Also, with today's announcement of UA devaluations, does this change thinking towards the UA MP Explorer?

8MiHi likes this.
  2. 8MiHi

8MiHi Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are focused on status and awards for domestic flights on UA, not *A, then the deval is not a big deal. If you are an international traveler that uses awards on *A flights, this appears to be a significant change. I think you can still get good value for your miles, but some of the more desirable options have been made more expensive.
    It may also presage changes on other airlines as they sometimes run in packs on these things.
    Since I tend towards the domestic, I am sitting pat with my card and my future flight plans.
    Remember, your mileage may vary.

Newscience, moongoddess and NYCUA1K like this.
  3. moongoddess

moongoddess Silver Member

Status Points:
    In addition to the excellent points 8MiHi makes, you should consider the other benefits (besides ff miles) the card offers and how often you will use them when you are deciding whether to keep or can the card. I'll probably be canning mine, since I don't rent cars very often, don't check luggage very often, have other cards which offer travel perks and purchase protection, and can get 2x points on UA tickets (should I decide to buy any) using my Sapphire Preferred card. That leaves guaranteed Group 1 boarding as the only non-mileage benefit I truly value, and since I only fly United once or twice a year, that's probably not worth paying a $95/year fee to get. So I'll likely cancel my card before the annual fee comes due. Your cost/benefit calculation may come up quite differently, however!

Newscience, merice107 and 8MiHi like this.
  4. FEV77

FEV77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only reason I keep mine is b/c it's one of the cards I've had the longest. Other cards have better benefits (for me), however.

8MiHi likes this.
  5. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    You might contact Chase, and see if you can convert the card to something with no (or lower) annual fee, then. If it is a conversion the date of account opening should count as the date you originally got it, not the date you converted.

8MiHi likes this.
  6. FEV77

FEV77 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for the suggestion! I hadn't thought of that.

7. Filler03

Filler03 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The other part of my OP… has anybody else seen their 10,000 bonus miles post early?

8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not spend $25k on the card for 10k points. That's a pretty bad deal. If you want the bag fee waiver and such then go for it but I'd still put spend on other cards with higher yields.

8MiHi likes this.