UA mileage summary report format

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by trobb49, May 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stared at my recent UA mileage summary and finally figured out how they are posting miles under the new system. Not rocket science, but not so obvious either. They have it broken down into two pieces, the "spend" for each leg X 5 to calculate the "Base miles", and then the same "spend" x whatever else you have coming to you, depending on your status.

Since I am currently 1K, that means that the "spend" is multiplied by 11 - 5 = 6 to derive the "Bonus miles". Of course, if you are only interested in how many miles you will get for your full itinerary, without the segment-by-segment breakdown, you can just look the item labeled "Airfare" on the receipt. Recently purchased itineraries also have a table further down called "MileagePlus Accrual Details" with all the nitty gritty, but older itineraries don't display this detail.
    MilesCalc.jpg

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Isn't this the same as the old method? The Base Miles column shows the points you get for just being a member and the Bonus Miles are the extra on top of that earnt for elite status.

3. Zomby Woof

Zomby Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish it would show lifetime miles earned for each flight.

4. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The only place you can see that online is on the very first page when you click on "My account" (top left, "My MileagePlus Account"). It wouldn't take much to put that in other convenient locations, I would think.

Wandering Aramean says "Isn't this the same as the old method?". Yes, but it hadn't been explicitly mentioned how "base miles" were derived. It used to be actual miles, and now it isn't really "miles" at all but rather a "point" system. I have to confess that I hadn't noticed the new clear and explicit explanation that is available in the UA MP/Earning Miles link (below).

BonusAwardCalc.jpg

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Maybe I'm jaded from having done this so long but I figured the regular member number was the "base" earning a while ago. They may not have had that specific chart but the explanation seemed clear enough from the get-go.

6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The methodology is necessarily different because the awarding of miles is different. It is all revenue-based instead of distance-based and the elite bonus means something completely different now, so it is not exactly obvious. I'd "decoded" the new MP mileage summary report almost 2 months ago here:
    • The "Total Miles" are easy to figure out. Just take "Dollars" (i.e. revenue for that segment) from the gray area and multiply it by 11 (the RDM/$ for a 1K).
    • The "Base Miles" under the r-b.s. are calculated using a multiplier of 5 RDM/$ because that is the "base."
    • The "Bonus Miles" under the r-b.s. can also be considered as the elite bonus miles. With the "base" being 5 RDM/$ and the multiplier for a 1K being 11 RDM/$, the elite bonus multiplier for a 1K is 11 - 5 = 6 RDM/$.

7. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Base = what anyone would earn just for flying.
    Bonus = extra miles for being elite.

These definitions have not changed at all.

How the numbers are calculated have changed, but the what the categories mean has not changed.

FortFun likes this.
  8. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The labels have not changed; their content, on the other hand, has changed big time. It is therefore not strange some people may be uncertain at first when looking at their summary reports....

9. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    Confirms the new system screws one bluely on award miles.

10. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Depends on who "one" is, doesn't it?

Or, more to the point, what "one" spends? I'm part of the screwed here, but I know not everyone is in the same boat. I had a handful of work trips last year which would have earnt MUCH better under the new system than the old one.

Counsellor likes this.
  11. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's true, but these days even business travel (i.e., paid by the company, not the passenger) isn't as high-value as before. Many if not most companies are opting for the cheaper tickets, even eating a loss on the particular ticket if plans change, to avoid paying extra for the changeable fare.

12. GreenCal

GreenCal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Can one of expert share xl sheet ? Unless I track 2015 travel carefully it will be difficult for me reach 1K for 2016.

Thanks,

13. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is a file that will allow you to track your current and future trips, displaying the total RDMs, PQMs and PQDs.

XLS files can't be uploaded to Milepoint, so I've placed it at the following URL.

http://tomrobb.com/UA_Mileage_tracker.xls

If I've missed some important factor required for accurate calculation, please post your comments here.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  14. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    Quite a surprisingly small fare premium for W or Q on this route when originating in Japan. Unfortunately doesn't work when starting fro US.

trobb49 likes this.
  15. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    What you see on the .xls is just a sample to show how to fill it in, but yes, the cost of the SFO-EWR segment is rather low. Not many miles to be had.

16. okrogius

okrogius Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was actually looking your KIX-SFO segments. Doing a random date search in the fall, W is only 50 more than S (at least starting from KIX - from SFO it's a few hundred difference). Finding such a small fare difference for sake of GPUs when originating in US seems so much harder now.

17. GreenCal

GreenCal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks

18. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    it's lower value, except when its equal or higher value.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  19. Canadi>n
    Original Member

Canadi>n Gold Member

Status Points:
    Is there any way to retrieve mileage account statements going back 5, 10 or more years? The UK site used to have this feature for retrieving back years but can't seem to get this any longer.

20. trobb49

trobb49 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm fairly certain that you can't go back further than the time when the UA and CO databases were merged. I played around with the URL string, inserting earlier dates, but only received "no records found" as the response.

21. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I strongly recommend saving a copy of the receipt for each UA itinerary. At the bottom of the receipt, one finds the RDMs, PQMs, and PQDs that will be earned. This usually is what posts to actual mileage earnings.

NYCUA1K likes this.