UA & LH Lounge Access

Discussion in 'Star Alliance' started by webdes03, Jul 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We've got a trip booked in August and I have a couple of general lounge access questions. I'm UA Gold/Star Gold, and we're flying RDU-IAD-MUC-TXL in J, and VIE-STR-EWR-RDU in J.

Thanks to many schedule changes and aircraft changes, many things have happened to this reservation. We had originally booked Global First on the IAD-MUC leg, but the aircraft was then down gauged to a 764 so we were pushed back into BusinessFirst. On our return flight, EWR-RDU was down gauged to a RJ145 (yay!) so we lost F there too. As a result, our BP's won't show F for the eastbound TATL leg, and once we arrive in EWR and clear customs on the return we'll no longer have an F ticket either. We'd originally booked everything as an award, and UA was cool about all of the changes and credited us back the difference in miles since we'd paid the premium for Global First.

My question is this...

We only have 90 minutes in IAD on the outbound trip, and once our Q400 from RDU-IAD is inevitably late, I'm not concerned with finding a lounge in IAD (the main reason loosing the Global First lounge wouldn't have been a big deal anyway). That said, when we arrive in MUC, we have over 3 hours to kill. On the LH website, I see Senator Lounges and Business Lounges (Star Gold gets me into all of them, and the LH J ticket gets me into the Business Lounges--if I'm reading correctly). Are there any restrictions since it's an award ticket? Is there any particular lounge in MUC that's better in everyone's experience? This is my first time in MUC so I don't know where any of the good stuff is.

On the return trip, we have 3 hours in STR and 3 hours in EWR. It looks like there's an LH Senator Lounge and Business Lounge in STR that I'm assuming we can use (I've also never been to STR so if anyone has any tips there, much appreciated). In EWR since we've come in on an International BusinessFirst flight, but are connecting to a domestic (now economy) flight, will we be denied Club entry since the onward ticket is in Y? If I'm reading correctly, UA only allows Star Gold passengers into the club if they're traveling onward internationally or in a F/J class of service? Or is that waived since we're coming in from an International J flight?

This is actually my first time doing any international travel as UA Gold, and the first time I've booked award travel on Star partners, so a few firsts happening here.

2. Laptop Nomad

Laptop Nomad Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been in both lounges in MUC. Go to the Senator Lounge I find the food better then the business lounge. If you were flying first on LH you could have used the first lounge in MUC. Much better in FRA, but a good lounge anyway. Can't answer your question on EWR as when I arrive at IAD I go out the door and get in the limo to go home.

3. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the feedback. I'd assume the LH lounges are fairly consistent so we should look for the Senator Lounge in STR also?

4. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    The SEN lounge at STR is much better than the Frequent Traveler (business class) lounge.

It's not as large, or with all of the amenities as the SEN lounges at MUC, but it's reasonably comfortable with food, newspapers, and adult beverages.

webdes03 likes this.
  5. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!