UA "keenly interested" in improving pax facilities at IAD

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by IMRU, Nov 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    Newscience likes this.
  2. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    They're not mature, they're archaeological ruins. And given the dysfunction at MWAA, this may take a while.

flyforawg, Garp74 and Newscience like this.
  3. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    From my experience flying on UA, if Smisek is serious about improving the "United Airlines experience" out of Dulles, he would first put all Dulles-based flight crews through intensive "customer-friendly" training.

As others have commented on Milepoint, the United Airlines flight attendants flying trans-Atlantic can be categorized as "toxic". I've flown these UA routes many times in the last decade, and am tired of being treated like "sheeple" while in their coach seating. At this point, if I'm sitting on a trans-Atlantic United Airlines flight out of Dulles, it's only because I couldn't get a seat on a competitor's airline.

Sure it's nice to have a spiffy remodeled airport. But if you're about to board an airplane for 8 hours of being treated like an indentured servant, who cares? :eek:

adambadam likes this.
  4. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    :rolleyes:

The "negotiations" between UA and MWAA continue. Anyone who expect them to go anywhere quickly is likely quite mistaken.

Garp74 and LETTERBOY like this.
  5. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHV, improving the facilities at IAD, while retaining "toxic" flight attendants, is very much like putting lipstick on a pig! :eek:

6. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow! I have never flown IAD-TPAC, but there is enough negative reporting going on here to convince me to never do so. In general, I have always found UA employees to be the best in customer service (with a few notable exceptions). That view applies to both pmCO and pmUA people, much to my pleasant surprise.

It does seem, however, that they are getting worn down by all of these negative-to-the-passenger changes. How could it not? If you had to listen to griping and complaining (or worse!) every day you went to work, how difficult would it be to keep a smile on your face?

I think they hate this stuff as much as we do. Their jobs must be much, much more difficult when now dealing with many hostile customers who were once cheerful and content. I'm still very polite and civil until treated otherwise, but I'm not a "happy" UA passenger anymore.

I'm sure that the union rules make it difficult for UA to get rid of the bad apples that serve the IAD-TPAC routes. If my suspicion is correct, the only way to see a change is going to be to write to UA every single time a passenger is mistreated, naming (if at all possible) the offender. It will probably take a lot of complaints to get someone into enough trouble to see a change, but why not start right now?

Smisek may misbehave in his capacity as a CEO, but that doesn't mean that he will tolerate it from the lowly FAs, GAs and TAs who indirectly answer to him. TELL him.

Newscience likes this.
  7. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    With new a new hangar, UA has better facilities for its aircraft at IAD than for its passengers

Flyer1976, rggale and Newscience like this.
  8. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    The old hangar was better than C.

9. Black Cloud
    Original Member

Black Cloud Gold Member

Status Points:
    Remember when US used the hangar as their DCA terminal?

At least IAD has a 5 Guys.

10. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    2 of them to be exact.

11. Seacarl
    Original Member

Seacarl Gold Member

Status Points:
    It sure was nice of WMAA to put the train station at the site of the unfunded new concourse, rather than build temp platforms under C. And why doesn't the train go from B to D? that would make visits to the LH lounge more efficient

jonk likes this.
  12. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    No budget for the extension from B to D. And, at the time they were discussing it, they figured that the "new concourse" would house everything and might not need two train stops. There's still a plan that has a full loop and one that has a U-shape track, but they'll likely be shoveling dirt on many of us before that sees completion.

Wandering Aramean likes this.
  13. IMRU

IMRU Silver Member

Status Points:
    I fly across the Pacific and Atlantic from Dulles all the time, in the front and the back. I haven't noticed that the cabin crew are any worse, or better, than those at other pmUA or pmCO stations. Honestly, the worst cabin crew I've ever had was last month on a Singapore flight.

I agree with previous posters that we're not likely get anything soon at Dulles: MWAA has its hands full with the rail project, and if Virginia is required to provide any funds, there's no way on God's green earth that the lovely people in Richmond are going to go for anything that benefits Northern Virginia.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. Photonerd71

Photonerd71 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Didn't a member of the blue team just win the gov race in the commonwealth? Would that not be to the benefit of northern VA?

Sent using a small piece of fruit.

15. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    This. Northern VA is viewed by people in the rest of VA as not being part of the "real VA." Getting the state of VA to contribute any money to Metro (the local public transit system in DC and the MD & VA suburbs), for example, is like pulling teeth. Occasionally, there will be talk about Northern VA seceding from the rest of VA and becoming it's own state. That'll never happen, and nobody expects it to, but that's an indication of how separate the two sections of the state are.

16. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    It may be of some small benefit, but not that much. The House of Delegates will still have a Republican majority, and even then, legislators (from both houses & both parties) will want to get money for their own districts before they give any money to Northern VA.

17. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    KeninEscazu,
    I well recall a UA flight from FRA to IAD last year, with crew service so bad that I decided to do just that, and tried to obtain the name of a particularly rude senior flight attendant. At least I could then write a letter to the UA CEO expressing just how terrible the experience was flying in UA trans-Atlantic coach, and provide a name of a worst offender. This fa wasn't wearing a name tag, and had left her jacket in the back of the plane. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the flight attendant had removed her name tag from her jacket! :mad:
    What's the purpose of complaining about overall terrible service from a flight crew that's not about to change their behavior? The bottom line is that it's much easier to simply book the same flights with other air carriers. FWIW, they are all a considerably better experience in coach seating, and considerably more customer-friendly. ;)
    Newscience

18. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    Even if that were to happen it would still need to coincide with the MWAA getting it's act together and putting forth a cohesive plan. We're more likely to see Pan Am rule the world of aviation again before that all comes together. MWAA truly are a disorganized (and crooked) bunch.

Newscience likes this.
  19. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem is that UA is also "keenly interested" in not paying for upgrades.

canucklehead, Newscience and rggale like this.
  20. rggale
    Original Member

rggale Gold Member

Status Points:
    My dad flew through IAD yesterday when he overslept AMS-EWR. He wrote me a text on the ERJ coming to EWR last night saying "as if waking up at 9:10 for a 9:15 flight wasn't bad enough, I had to transit this shithole third world airport in our nation's capital. What the f*ck is up with United? The regional jet terminal A is probably akin to Ellis Island."

21. LETTERBOY
    Original Member

LETTERBOY Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the Iranian nuclear "deal" has a better chance of working than the MWAA.

Yep. Just as bad as Metro (mentioned in post #15), if not worse.

Never had to transit IAD before, but the C/D concourses are ancient. They look like they date from the time of the War of Spanish Succession. The B concourse is excellent, but the C/D concourses suck. Never been to A, so can't speak to that.

Newscience likes this.
  22. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well, at least the IAD UA terminals do help to mentally prepare those about to sit in UA coach class for what to expect during a long-haul flight! :eek:

jonk likes this.
  23. J.Edward
    Original Member

J.Edward Silver Member

Status Points:
    Only when they're the ones who're paying.

Newscience likes this.
  24. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    DCA has a 5 Guys

The "temporary" C/D concourses
    http://www.mwaa.com/dulles/783.htm

Newscience likes this.
  25. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member