UA IRROPS preference

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by sfo1, Apr 26, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Do you think that UA has a preference to which airline a pax is placed on during an irrops situation, DL, AA or?

gregm likes this.
  2. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    Domestically we don't have too many choices. I prefer to send customers on DL since AA has issues with accepting re-routed customers. Int'l we would deal with * carriers first.

IDGflygirl, 8MiHi, Flyer1976 and 9 others like this.
  3. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was thinking more domestically than Int'l as there are certainly more *carriers to work with

4. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    UA can offline to you most major carriers domestically except WN (Southwest) and possibly F9 (Frontier). US, AA, DL, AS are all options and I have found UA prefers DL.

-Rob

sfo1 likes this.
  5. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    If IRROPS pop up and you're in Hawaii trying to get to Europe, would they ever consider routing you the other way around the world to get you to Europe on the *A carriers through Asia or would they fumble you across the US as per the original routing?

Flyer1976 and sfo1 like this.
  6. sfo1
    Original Member

sfo1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    That also is an interesting question, someone will probably have some thoughts or actual experience on answering this one, I would bet via the USA mainland.

7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Neither they will just fly you to Guam and strand you there for days. ;) (Kidding)

I had a friend flying HNL-EWR-DEL that was rebooked HNL-NRT-DEL once.

8. Weatherboy

Weatherboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have trips to AMS and FCO from HNL coming up this summer (thank you P errors) but after seeing how regular IRROPS are at HNL, I'm a bit concerned making my onward connections in the US.

9. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm not sure how HNL would handle this question. I suppose if there were flights from NRT to your European destination, they would do it. Back in the real old days, sCO re-routed MNL bound customers thru SYD.

bmg42000 and Flyer1976 like this.
  10. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    In my experience, you can find flights and ask to be rerouted on your preferred flight and carrier, but getting you to your destination as quickly as possible, is not the priority of the new United. They've adapted the old Continental scheme where they will try extremely hard to keep you on their own metal even if the delay is their fault.

I've had plenty of flights the last year where United has refused to rebook me to other metal because of weather. I had to stay overnight in Atlanta a few months back because United canceled all the flights because of a small storm cell that passed through in an hours time. Delta had room, but they refused to rebook me and made me stay overnight at my own expense. I'm 1K

At Ohare, they are usually better, but you've been warned..

11. meFIRST

meFIRST Silver Member

Status Points:
    Domestic : DL usually. AA usually results in problems, but you can ask.

Intl there is a hierarchy

It used to be US ( I guess no more), followed by LH Group, and ANA (if going to Japan)
    then other star alliance carriers

Unlike the old UA, I have noticed that new UA will try extremely hard to keep you on their own metal, even if it means spending the night

sfo1 likes this.
  12. Counsellor
    Original Member

Counsellor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't think that *ever* would have happened under the old system; as I recall, 1Ks were accommodated at United's expense even for weather-related irrops.

And I don't remember United refusing to book on a competitor if they couldn't move you on their own metal within about two hours. I recall one really confused time I was flying on United from MLI to DEN. That flight was canceled, and United routed me through MCI on TWA (in First, nonetheless). As I recall, there was irrops for some reason on the TWA flight MCI to Denver and as coincidence would have it, I wound up back on United for that segment (still in First!). I'm not sure how the two carriers sorted all that out.

Last edited: May 3, 2014
    tommy777 likes this.
  13. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    You're absolutely right. Not that paying the Sheraton Gateway at 89 dollars was a big hit, but being delayed by 15 hours because of an operational decision and them refusing to rebook to Delta that had seats that would have gotten me home pretty much on time, is definitely an industry worst

traveltoomuch likes this.