UA intl flight canceled ... what sort of reimbursements can I expect?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by daemon14, Apr 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Finally got an email response from United from my original email, only took 7 weeks ...

Interestingly, they're offering a $1000 e-Certificate, though I'm not sure if that's per passenger or total. If it's per passenger, it actually beats the 600Euro cash compensation required.

I sent a response asking for clarification, so I should hear back in September.

spesalvi, snod08 and genemk2 like this.
  2. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I've been offered a $1000 eCert per passenger, meaning $2K (or 30K miles each which isn't worth that much to me).

Is there anything I should know about UA ecerts? Are they as restrictive as Delta, in that I cannot transfer them? $2K is a lot to spend on an airline where I don't have elite status (though one of the relatives involved does have *G, as well as myself since I might use the eCerts).

From what I can see from looking around, eCerts don't keep their residual value ... like if I had a $1000 eCert and spent it on a $600 fare, I wouldn't get to the keep the remaining $400. Is that correct?

The 600 Euro pp would come out to just under $1500, but that's cash that's usable for more things (incl purchasing airfare on the AmEx which would be 4500 MR points, easily worth almost $100 to me).

I'm thinking of just asking for the cash instead of the eCerts, even though it's $500 less. Is that crazy?

3. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Are the eCerts restricted to domestic travel?

4. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've looked around for generic eCert T&Cs and it seems so. That wouldn't be much of a factor, but if they really are one-use eCerts, then I'd be hard-pressed to find a route I fly that's worth >600 Euros per person. Can anyone confirm?

5. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    There should be T&Cs specific to that E-cert. Did you receive them via email?

6. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was offered the eCerts but haven't received them. I asked for the terms & conditions regarding them but it's been a day or so since I've heard from them.

Since they're legally obligated to compensate in cash as an option, I wanted to see if the eCert deal was a good deal. Looks like it won't be.

7. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, they're valid systemwide, and usable on many codeshare flights, too. Don't confuse the pre-merger UA e-certs with the new UA e-certs, which are basically the old CO certs which were very versatile and, now as then, retain residual value.

8. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    FINALLY. More than 2 months after the flight and contacting United and I got the following in the mail today.

Huzzah!

The form was pre-filled out and has 600 Euros as the payable amount for each passenger.

Now I just have to figure out how I'll deposit two 600 Euro checks at a US bank :)

9. chrislacey
    Original Member

chrislacey Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    You shouldn't have any issue depositing the checks at your bank. If it's a small bank it may take a week to clear. Way to be proactive and congrats on the outcome!

desamo and daemon14 like this.
  10. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for that. Patience is necessary (especially with United).

The best part is ... these were both award tickets! And the only reason they were on the FRA-SFO-LAX flight was because SHARES dropped the direct flight on LH during the transition and UA could only get us flights on their metal. :rolleyes:

spesalvi and Flyer1976 like this.
  11. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Huzzah!

12. sara lofer

sara lofer New Member

Status Points:
    Hi! I had similar problems and I'm searching the CSM646 compensation claim form. Do you have the link or something? I can't find it in the United webpage.

Thanks!

13. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Without knowing exactly what your situation is, this might help...
    http://ec.europa.eu/transport/passengers/air/doc/complain_form/complaints_form_en.pdf

Same file with PDF form fields added is attached and also available for download here:
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8UiEAbL7HlkOFFKM2hjOGN2cW8

Instructions say to fill out with BLOCK CAPITAL LETTERS.

Attached Files:

14. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I received the form in the mail after I contacted United via email to start my claim. Once they agreed it was a valid claim, I got the claim forms.