UA intl flight canceled ... what sort of reimbursements can I expect?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by daemon14, Apr 29, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Relatives of mine were booked on UA 927 FRA-SFO-LAX today, but the intl segment got canceled while they were on an inbound from South Asia.

Since they weren't rebooked for about 9 hours, their new itinerary gets in 19 hours later, missing a full workday (and UA wouldn't let them take LH via MUC saying they were on a coach award ticket).

Any idea why 927 was canceled? I'm thinking it was mechanical or crew related, and if it was, I'm wondering what they can get for such a delay. .

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Out of FRA they should be entitled to the "right to care" benefits as part of the EU rules. Beyond that they are not due anything.

And reward tickets can be pushed to OALs in IRROPs. They should be treated as revenue in such cases.

IDGflygirl, Flyer1976 and daemon14 like this.
  3. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks. I contacted them once I knew and told them to ask for the LH flights, but they said the UA rep at FRA said it wasn't possible (even though EF showed at least 8 seats available in Y on both flights with enough connecting time). Now it's too late though ...

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why not cash compensation under EU Regulation 261/2004? Do you think UA would be justified to call it extraordinary circumstances?

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA927 was canceled due to maintenance so I don't see any reason why UA should be let off the hook under EU 261/2004.

HaveMilesWillTravel likes this.
  6. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know an AA flyer that got $850 compensation on a mechanical cancellation from Europe. He was initially denied by AA but pursued it with the EU and got his money. That flight was cancelled at the gate just before departure due to a maintenance issue. I'd certainly take the time to read over the rules. This flyer was on a paid ticket, though.

EU Complaint Form

Is that because it's an award ticket and different rules come into play with those?

Switch2 likes this.
  7. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Award tickets should be treated as the same as revenue tickets regardless.

daemon14 and HaveMilesWillTravel like this.
  8. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was including the potential for cash comp under the "right to care" umbrella. Sorry if that was confusing.

But without the details it isn't possible to say for sure exactly what is due.

9. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks everyone for the input, and I'll definitely read into the EU regulations. Haven't had much experience with these so it's new for me.

As for details, the flight was cancelled at about 8:30am FRA time for a 5:25pm flight, but it happened while my relatives were en-route to FRA from India, so they didn't find out until 12:10pm when they arrived. I got a phone call and got onto EF, where I suggested they route through MUC on LH and take the LH nonstop to LAX from there (ample Y seats were available on both flight). There was enough time and they have US passports so transiting the Schengen zone is not a problem.

However, they called back saying UA would not give them that routing and by the time we escalated to a supervisor at FRA, there wasn't enough time to get on the flight to MUC.

They ended up having to overnight at FRA and are about to depart for EWR, then on a plane to LAX where they'll arrive around 5pm (they were supposed to arrive around 11:45pm on Sunday night, so about a 17-hour delay).

I also saw on their reservations that they were separated in seating in the Y cabin for both flights and called UA on their behalf to ask for a gratis upgrade to E+ given the nature of the delay (so that they could sit next to each other, and offered it as a act of goodwill on the airline) but 3 agents said "no." :(

10. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Okay, an update:

This happened on April 29/April 30th. It actually affected my parents, so I told them to keep all sorts of documentation and that I would help them deal with it once I returned from a trip abroad.

I emailed United on May 20th with documentation and the provisions of EU 261/2004. The original flight was supposed to be FRA-SFO-LAX on a through flight UA 927 arriving LAX Sunday night at 11:55pm. Instead, UA 927 went mx and they had to overnight at FRA. The next day, they flew FRA-EWR-LAX and arrived at 5:30pm Monday. A 17.5-hour delay, which is well outside the 4-hour window that's within the provisions. Because of the delay, they both missed a day of work each, which resulted in lost income. I sent all the documentation to UA and requested a check for the USD equivalent of 600 Euros for each of them for the inconvenience (the 600 Euros is written in EU 261/2004).

This was well over 3 weeks ago. I have yet to receive a response.

I tried calling United but after 2 hours on hold, the representative stated that the department that handles that was closed (even though I got through at 4pm Pacific, after calling around 2pm).

I don't know where to go from here ... send a letter? United just cannot do customer service nowadays. I originally ticketed this through the CO site in January and when there was a hiccup, it was promptly fixed.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, but this is what I'd do:

I'd resend the documentation via registered mail/return receipt to UA's customer service department. Include a timestamped copy of your original email and explain that you didn't receive a reply. Set them a deadline by which you expect a response (e.g., three weeks) and indicate that you will file a complaint with the appropriate EU authorities if you fail to get a response again.

http://ec.europa.eu/ireland/contact_us/faq/air_travel/index_en.htm
    How can I enforce my rights under the Regulation?

Article 16 of the Regulation provides that each Member State shall designate a body responsible for the enforcement of the Regulation. In Ireland, this body is the Commission for Aviation Regulation.
    If you believe that your rights under the Regulation have been infringed, you can complain to any national designated body about the alleged infringement at any airport situated on the territory of that Member State or concerning any flight from a third country to an airport situated on that territory.

Since your flight departed from FRA, it would be the German Enforcement Body:
    http://www.aviationreg.ie/EUEEA_Enforcement_Bodies/Default.212.html
    Luftfahrt-Bundesamt (LBA)Hermann-Blenk-Str, 26
    DE-38108 Braunschweig
    Tel.: +49 5 31 23 55 - 100
    Fax: +49 5 31 23 55 - 707

BuckleandBoots, JLSocks and SeaRaptor like this.
  12. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just curious since I've never transited FRA...who handles UA ops in FRA? Is it UA employees or LH?

-RM

13. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    UA Employees however there is some Swissport Employees handling below the wing the last time I checked.

14. thegrailer
    Original Member

thegrailer Silver Member

Status Points:
    How do you know? Is this listed somewhere? Not questioning I would just like to be able to see this info too

Cheers -

15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I thought the check-in staff at least is wearing LH uniforms.

16. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was the reason given for why the flight was canceled the day of the trip.

Thank you for all the suggestions thus far.

17. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That might be the case however the folks working the Gates are UA employees (Supervisors usually) with some LH employees handling the flights (I could have swore it was Swissport).

18. UrbaneGent

UrbaneGent Member

Status Points:
    I actually think it might be Fraport AG since they handle UA's cargo at FRA. I may be wrong of course. Just in case:

Contact Information
    Fraport AG Frankfurt Airport Services Worldwide
    Flughafen Frankfurt/Main
    60547 Frankfurt, Germany
    Tel. +49-69-690-0
    Fax +49-69-690-748-43

http://www.fraport-groundservices.c...rms-fraports-ground-handling-internation.html shows United auditing them.

Good luck regardless!

UG

19. Hartmann
    Original Member

Hartmann Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH employees worked the last two FRA-IAH gates I had and a FRA-EWR flight I took. There were two UA supervisors.

20. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's what I thought for Above the Wing.

21. chitownflyer
    Original Member

chitownflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
  22. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I got 9000 miles for a PEK-SFO C class cancellation last month.

23. genemk2

genemk2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    :eek:. A 1P I know got 12,500 for a new config to old config downgrade on PEK-IAD. 9,000 for a 24 hr delay seems light.

carsonheim and Flyer1976 like this.
  24. SFOPeter
    Original Member

SFOPeter Silver Member

Status Points:
    yeah i felt the same way

25. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sent an actual letter to United today ... let's see how they respond.