UA going after DL elites? MileagePlus Premier Status Match Challenge

Discussion in 'Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles' started by rwoman, Jan 18, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    MileagePlus Premier Status Match Challenge

Although it does not specify DM, I suspect they'd at least match to Platinum...

There's a thread on FT discussing AA offering EXP to DMs as well. (LINK)

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless they intend to challenge or match DM to 1K, I can't imagine that many DMs will be interested at this time. I say this especially because UA doesn't seem to be correcting their merger mess and SHARES problems very quickly.

3. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, that's right, UA is very ghetto experience compared with what DL DM are accustomed to. The scungy 763s, the 1K line that doesn't respond, the lack of upgrades as FCM takes root, etc.

Best to stay away.

DiverDave and hulagrrl210 like this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Worried you might lose an upgrade?! ;)

At least DL's a/c are usually in decent shape (barring unmodified 763ERs), the DM line response time is pretty low IME (2-3 min during the Icelandic volcano in 2010 was my worst experience), and, well, FCM seems to be everywhere...

5. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    How long is the wait for UA's elite line? I wait no more than 10 minutes with SWA A-List line and usually less than 2 on the PM line with Delta. Figured UA would be a few minutes but is it worse?

6. hulagrrl210
    Original Member

hulagrrl210 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The problem isn't how long the wait is to get someone on the phone, the problem is how long it takes for them to deal with your issue and how long you have to wait on hold.

DiverDave and redtailshark like this.
  7. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Yes, response time isn't the issue for UA 1K line. Whether they want to fix the problem or not - this is a total crapshoot. Last week, I was directed back to TL for a UA-stock ticket booked using US Bank Flexpoints. I pointed out I'd flown sectors 1 and 2 already and UA should have control of the ticket - under normal circumstances, yes, I was told but on this occasion UA "couldn't understand how you checked in or flew those sectors" (A: by OLCI at UA.COM and showing up at the airport in time for boarding!). Supe "we can't touch it, call your travel agent." Directed to TL. TL are abysmal and it took some forceful standing of my ground to finally get the flights fixed ("there are no flights from LAX to BWI on Sat, no it can't route via IAH etc.")

But at other times on the UA 1K line, yes, no problem, we can reroute to SIN via SFO/LAX/DME etc, or yes, you want to fly LAX-DEN-IAH-IAD because timing is better, sure.

And DL SMS don't present a shining example of good-faith customer competency either. GM/PM has been abysmal except for Chisholm.

The battle of KUL for example, documented here,

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-skymiles/1054088-dl-sms-tale-good-bad-ugly.html

plus the SWU fandangos of which you've heard. People cover for DL stating that the agent is "mistaken" or "needs training" but we all know the systematic denials/falsehoods extend far beyond a small number of incompetent agents. HUCA as a strategy for "handling" Medallion line gotchas, that tells you the system has failed and agents aren't delivering service they should.

I became sooo tired of DL agents telling me falsehoods (MH isn't a partner, when they were, AM can't be redeemed etc etc.) It reached a point where an honest agent who was willing to help solve the problem was a rarity.

As for competing for UG on UA with DL DM exiles comped to 1K, FCM is rooted here on UA too. I'm realistic about this; most of my travel doesn't compete in terms of fare class - our university has had no travel funding for five years, and grants require lowest fare - so although I'm mandated to travel to seminars/conferences etc. I'm not funded for it. I fly occasionally as an independent consultant and then on variable fares, so on those occasions M-up or higher on UA is feasible. So I benefit on the odd occasion.

But overall, those who consistently fly gov't/employer-sponsored higher fare buckets will benefit from 1K status.

As for you employer-funded guys pushing me into the back, I can take it. I can take 60k BIS in one month, a lot of which is in Y...or overnighting at the SKL in SIN or even JFK T5 bag claim, as I did last month. We have to be efficient in this era of zero funding - and some of us are. When there are no worthwhile FFP, we'll fly B6, WN, or AB or FR.

Even before being assimilated by Jeff's DL SM borg and experiencing its capricious policies, I've always taken the view that FFP benefits can be cut tomorrow morning. Don't expect UG, be grateful when it occurs. And...the only MR you regret...is the one you didn't take. So buckle up for CCS/RGN/NRT/POS, today, and redeem those miles tomorrow. Else, all is lost.

DiverDave and skyvan like this.
  8. skyvan

skyvan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with that it is a crapshoot with DL as well. Tonight was an example. One agent was unwilling to even listen to me explain exactly what she needed to do to book CZ award flights (It's not my first rodeo so I was trying to help her through.) She screwed up because she entered domestic fare codes for international and then put me on hold. Ultimately she hung up on me. Called back got the most amazing agent ever who even helped me looked up flights on Xiamen and was very helpful, and she wasn't in Chisholm, SLC actually.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    These status match challenges are not new and not tied to the recent changes announced by Delta. They have been around for a long, long time and will likely continue to be around for a long, long time.

And if you're planning on jumping ship to get over your frustration with the revenue rules coming into effect I wouldn't make any rash moves. Rumor has it that the StarNet system used by the *A programs is nearing completion of a project to upgrade their systems to track revenue per coupon, allowing for similar qualification tiers to be implemented.

10. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    To me, the revenue levels are not as bad as what I had been braced for. The changes to earnings on M fares and partners was not expected, and the earnings on M fares is a puzzler. Some folks on TOBB seem to believe this presages a reduction in M fares. :rolleyes:

The killer as always is that SkyPesos are not as easily used as miles on AA and UA. You can mitigate some of this with work and planning, but at the end of the day SPs are worth about 40% less than their competition day in and day out.

11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I see it differently at the moment. IMO currently offered M fares seem like the same as they've been but Z availability TPAC has suddenly become scarce. It's one think to pay for an M fare, but get confirmed upgrades on the flights you want at time of ticketing as well as the 150% MQMs (and some bonus redeemable miles too), but to pay the same, only get 100% MQMs (tha same as DL sLUT fares), and go to the waitlist for an upgrade seems ridiculous!

USAF_Pride and DiverDave like this.
  12. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    You are certainly correct, though I would not bet against DL sLUT fares being devalued in the next iteration.

David

USAF_Pride likes this.
  13. USAF_Pride
    Original Member

USAF_Pride Gold Member

Status Points:
    What really is an A fare? (as compared to P or F)

14. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    And why would United want to target those who will not meet the revenue requirements on Delta?

Without any special insight, I do believe that Delta is just the first to make this step and others will follow.

15. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    A seat in the same cabin.

16. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Until IROPS when you are told that an A fare is a coach fare with an instant upgrade. :eek:

redtailshark and USAF_Pride like this.
  17. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Yes, irops on A fares! Those are truly the moments when Jeff R. pops out from behind that mask... "Ah but lookee here, it's really a coach fare! As our respected member bubba says, WFBF! WBEBBE!"

DiverDave likes this.
  18. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    Bubba has been very quiet since I added him to my BIL (Burgeoning Ignore List.) In fact, I'm missing out on at least 1/4 of the thread now. :)

19. redtailshark

Status Points:
    Hey, I don't feel special like bubba... you didn't add me to your BIL! :p

DiverDave likes this.
  20. DiverDave
    Original Member

DiverDave Gold Member

Status Points:
    To join my BIL, you will need to get un-banned and then somehow transmogrify into a hugely self-centered attack poster who calls other travelers trash. And then repeat the same arguments in one thread about 100 times to the point where you've gone past being merely a troll and into unexplored territory.

Are you up to the challenge? ;)

BamaGirl likes this.
  21. Davescj
    Original Member

Davescj Silver Member

Status Points:
    A is discounted first I think, but I forget the reasons behind it.

As to the UA challenge - I would not go near UA. One, I'd be forced through ORD all the time or onto RJs via IAH. And the merger mess....I don't have the energy to go there.

As to AA - I would never be explat (don't fly quite enough) so I'd always be on certs for upgrades. Thank you but no.

Esp if they merge with US. What a nightmare.

Dave