UA Global First vs. LH J

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by guberif, Mar 3, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    (I'm not sure exactly where to post this. Also, I tried searching, but didn't find this topic easily...my apologies if it is redundant).

Have a trip planned for next month to Europe. I've set us up with LH J flights, hoping to upgrade to F at T-14. Here's my question - would you fly UA F, or LH J, given the 17.5K points different each way.

Please discuss!

2. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    LH J is, in most cases, not a flat bed. That's a problem for some on the redeye flight. UA F will be a flat bed. UA's F lounges are also a step up from the LH Biz/Sen lounges, though nowhere near the LH F lounges.

As for whether that's worth the extra points, only you can answer that. I don't really think it is for EU->USA where I'm not trying to sleep a full night anyways.

There was a slightly similar discussion here: http://milepoint.com/forums/posts/1860105/. Not identical, but some thoughts on the LH C product and value proposition of upgrading to F.

3. downhillcrasher

downhillcrasher Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would agree with most of what WA says, but add that it could be worth 17.5k for a EU-West Coast flight, but I probably wouldn't for a short flight to the east coast.

4. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    For UA F? In my case, not really, because UA F would mean for me adding a stop (based in SEA, so FRA-SEA is a nonstop, UA means something like XXX-SFO/ORD/IAD-SEA). For LH F? Possibly.

downhillcrasher likes this.
  5. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I would take UA C over LH C. I can't stand the space pods. If it is an east coast flight to Europe I would say just go with C if it is a west coast flight to Europe I would say the extra miles for F might be worth it.

6. ducster
    Original Member

ducster Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just to add my 2 cents, I haven't flown LH C in 10 years, but I understand that it hasn't changed at all (except for the new C on the 748 and some MUC-based Airbii), so I avoid it like the plague since I'm flying from the West Coast. I found the UA F bed to be really nice for sleeping, certainly not as good as the LH F 747 bed, but very comfortable and private (seat 1A). If you are coming from DEN, you would need to connect using UA, as eponymous coward points out above.

eponymous_coward likes this.
  7. JetsettingEric
    Original Member

JetsettingEric Silver Member

Status Points:
    A bit off topic, but have you looked at other Star Alliance carriers as well?

US Airways has a fantastic flatbed J product on their A330s. Air Canada also has a great flatbed J product and lounges which are a step up from the typical J lounge. With a flatbed seat and a transatlantic overnight flight, the upgrade to F doesn't really make sense to me. Transpacific is generally longer and I guess you can make a stronger argument there. However, from an angled seat to a lie flat.. it very much is worth it to me on the one way overnight.

8. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes, in fact that's where I started. Had ideal flights DEN-ORD-WAW RT on LOT in their new 787 J. We all know how that worked out. Because I already had flights booked and dates set, my dates aren't really flexible. So, right now I've been looking at ANY option that doesn't involve flying a soviet-era 767 on a soviet-era carrier.

Managed to book LH J DEN-FRA-WAW-FRA-DFW-DEN. Will be totally happy with that if needed, but would love a further upgrade...

9. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not convinced that adding hours to a journey to incorporate transit time at another airport + more time in an aircraft in a domestic UA/US config = upgrade. I loved flying CX F on my most recent splurge, but the missing top step was either a) waiting at SFO for 5 hours after 13 hours of flying for the AS flight to take me home, followed by a 2 hour flight (or a cnx at PDX that involved similar lag time to option b), or b) BART to OAK and a two hour wait. I took b), but I think in retrospect if CX had had J space on a hypothetical HKG-SEA flight, I would have taken it over F and a poor schedule for getting home.

guberif likes this.
  10. guberif

guberif Silver Member

Status Points:
    You make a great point.

ducster likes this.