UA flight severe turbulence, pax cracks ceiling with her head Feb 18 '14

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Gargoyle, Feb 18, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. Gargoyle
    Original Member

Gargoyle Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Severe turbulence today on UA1676, DEN-BIL carrying 114 passengers and five crew members. The story says one pax hit the ceiling so hard that she cracked the panel above her head. Three crew members and two passengers were taken to local hospitals, all were released except for one FA.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/18/travel/united-airlines-turbulence/

Newscience, MSYgirl and uggboy like this.
  2. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    1. Glad there is no report of loss of life or severe injuries.

2. Let this be a reminder to us to always wear your seat belt while seated.

3. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Billings airport sits atop a plateau. It's extremely windy there, and the takeoff and landing can be a hair-raising, white knuckle experience. When I saw the news report last night I was only surprised this doesnt happen more often there.

LETTERBOY and Gargoyle like this.
  4. foxberg

foxberg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seat belts!!! Always listen to what the captain and the crew say.

LETTERBOY likes this.
  5. bigx0

bigx0 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LETTERBOY and MSYgirl like this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
  7. blackjack-21

blackjack-21 Gold Member

Status Points:
    As it should be. Things may happen very quickly at times, as in this example, with little time to explain them to the pax until much later. Just be thankful they had an experienced flight deck crew who knew what to do quickly at the time.

It's called "clear air turbulence" and can happen without warning, at any time. Apologies to those who may have read my story about this before. Many years ago, as my then wife-to-be and I were returning from Miami to New York on a National Airlines (the original) B727. Bright blue sky as we took off from MIA in the afternoon, without a cloud in the sky. Headed eastward towards the ocean before the left turn northbound toward NY. As we were climbing shortly after takeoff, and still over the densely populated area around the airport, the plane dropped so sharply, straight down, it was a though we were in a high speed elevator descending so fast that our stomachs literally came up to our throats. No turns or swings, just pancaking flatly straight down, as if the air had been sucked out from above and below the wings. Thankfully, the crew were able to recover the fall before we arrived unexepectedly below, and we continued on our way to our destination. Afterward, and to a very hushed cabin, the captain came on the PA and said that we had fallen almost 1,000 feet and all was now well, with no discernable damage to the aircraft that they could see from their instruments. And he mentioned that this was caused by unexpected CLEAR AIR TURBULANCE.

Moral: Keep your seatbelts on while seated, even loosely.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  8. KenInEscazu

KenInEscazu Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have experienced this three times in all my years of flying. Had there been FF programs back when I started traveling, I would have a billion miles by now (maybe somewhat of an exaggeration :D ), but all three happened in the first couple of years, and all three were on flights between DFW and TUL. I remember them like they were yesterday, even though they were actually... Well.... a long time ago (two of them were on Ozark DC-9s, and I think the other was on Braniff). Each time it sounded like we hit a brick wall when it started, adding to the fear factor.

Never once did a pilot or any crew member ever say anything about what happened. We just went on our merry way to DFW or TUL like nothing had happened. I'm still amazed that I haven't experienced another one since.

9. Garp74

Garp74 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA74 red eye from LAX to IAD - somewhere over Utah we lost 1,000 feet in two seconds. I was in "the captain's chair" on the old 767-200 where F was 2-1-2. I think it was 2G. They had the silver cart out and were serving either dinner or dessert.

Cart went everywhere. I didn't have my seatbelt on and I crashed into the bulkhead in front of me (way in front of me). Everybody was frightened but the rest of the flight was smooth. We actually made it to IAD in 3.5 hours.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  10. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points: